5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Weird rotor wear on my new rotors....uneven pads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 05:32 PM

Weird rotor wear on my new rotors....uneven pads?

So I replaced my old front stock rotors with Cross Drilled/Slotted ones I got on ebay. Here is the problem.

I took off my old rotors and the wear on them was very weird (I had actually just replaced pads a week prior to new rotors)...The outside of the rotor looked like it was being used by the pads to break but the inside part (illustrated in the pic) wasnt...you could even tell my the pads where they were touching against the rotors

So I put my new rotors on and got brand new pads...After doing the brake prepping or whatever its called where you do 60-40-60-40-60-40-etc I notice the rotors once again look "used" on the outsides but on the inside look like the pads arent even touching.

Look at my picture (sorry too dark for photos plus my car is parked far) the red illustrates where the rotor looks like it has been in contact with the pad....towards the center the rotor looks like its brand spakin new and never come in contact with the pads. I looked at my buddys '02 and it looks normal unlike myne. Obviously the pads are in right since I've done this twice and same thing is happening....Also this is apparent on both the driver/passenger side so very weird...

Thanks for any help guys!!!

Old 03-31-2006, 10:14 AM

IDk what to tell you, hope u can figure it out. (free bump)
Old 03-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You are probably OK, brake pads do not always designed to touch it inner-most surface of the rotor.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:18 PM

maybe the pad is crooked somehow? i'd put some grease where the pads sit. i actually had that on my rear oem rotors. only the pads wouldn't touch the top outside not on the inner. are your calipers rusty at all?
Old 04-01-2006, 10:26 AM

calipers are fine (not rusted)...here are some pics maybe you guys can help out in identifying if this is weird...

notice how closer to the center there is no wear on the rotor....thanks for the replies....
Old 04-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Totally normal wear pattern on those rotors.
Stop worrying and enjoy your new brakes.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Totally normal wear pattern on those rotors.
Stop worrying and enjoy your new brakes.
ok if you say so! thanks
Old 04-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

that is very normally wear...

oh, and ditch those rotors and get some brembo blanks
Old 04-03-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by AdamK
calipers are fine (not rusted)...here are some pics maybe you guys can help out in identifying if this is weird...

notice how closer to the center there is no wear on the rotor....thanks for the replies....
I will send you a picture of the wear pattern on my rear rotors and you will feel a lot better about yours.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by BigFly_2K2SE
I will send you a picture of the wear pattern on my rear rotors and you will feel a lot better about yours.
looking forward to it! if you cant host i can do it for you and for the benefit of whoever looks at the thread....

adamkpl(at)g mail (dot).com
Old 05-10-2006, 05:21 AM

I just replaced my pads and rotors and Im having the same dilemma. After looking at the FSM I noticed that it states that when replacing the pads, the notch on the back of the pad is supposed to line up with one of the notches on the face of the caliper piston. I assume this keeps the pad from rototing when the brakes are applied. I think that I have it lined up correctly considering that everything seems to bolt up properly. Also, nothing is squeaking. The only wierd thing occuring is the wierd pad/rotor wear. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 05-10-2006, 05:51 AM

One more thing...when I was turning one of the rear pistons back into the caliper I noticed that it was much more difficult to twist it back in compared to the other side. Is this normal? Do I have to take the caliper apart and lube it somewhere? Boot around caliper piston didnt show any signs of being torn. I inspected it and tried to clean it as much as possible with a clean dry towel after I twisted it back in. And as far as the guide pins go, I pulled them apart, cleaned them with a clean rag, and re-lubed them with caliper lube. I made sure they were not sticking before I bolted everything back together.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mizike
One more thing...when I was turning one of the rear pistons back into the caliper I noticed that it was much more difficult to twist it back in compared to the other side. Is this normal? Do I have to take the caliper apart and lube it somewhere? Boot around caliper piston didnt show any signs of being torn. I inspected it and tried to clean it as much as possible with a clean dry towel after I twisted it back in. And as far as the guide pins go, I pulled them apart, cleaned them with a clean rag, and re-lubed them with caliper lube. I made sure they were not sticking before I bolted everything back together.
As long as the boot isn't torn and the piston turns back hard or not you are fine. Rember the rears are only 20% of your total braking power.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:39 AM

It's totally normal to not have any wear on the bottom part of the rotor, I just had my rotors turned and I can see the part the pad is not in contact with but the whole pad is in contact with the the rotor. There's just more surface area on the rotor than there is on the pad. Take a look at other parked cars around and you'll see the same thing.