5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just Raced 2 Cl-type S

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 10:43 PM
QUANSUNG

on the parkway i see a silver type s driving rather aggressively ,i get behind him once he gets caught behind a car and wait in third knowing he going to bolt once traffic clears ,off he goes he pulls about half car on me [i punched it in 3rd doing only 60mph]i catch up and by 4th i'm walking away and flash my hazards and he flashes his high beams and gets off the parkway. less then about 8 minutes i see another types s same color merging on the parkway doing about 80mph i match its speed and slowly start pulling away when the acura just slows down and i slow down and wait i think he or she was checking my car out then they floor it as do i ,i start to pull away slowly but we hit some traffic and i slow a little to duck around a car but the acuras' lane is clear and gets ahead with me a few feet away from his bumper he then breaks for a car in his lane and won't go anymore those things pull hard from around 60mph .what does our 2nd gear top out at? is it ok to down shift to 2nd if your doing about 50mph?

Old 06-13-2001, 10:58 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by QUANSUNG
on the parkway i see a silver type s driving rather aggressively ,i get behind him once he gets caught behind a car and wait in third knowing he going to bolt once traffic clears ,off he goes he pulls about half car on me [i punched it in 3rd doing only 60mph]i catch up and by 4th i'm walking away and flash my hazards and he flashes his high beams and gets off the parkway. less then about 8 minutes i see another types s same color merging on the parkway doing about 80mph i match its speed and slowly start pulling away when the acura just slows down and i slow down and wait i think he or she was checking my car out then they floor it as do i ,i start to pull away slowly but we hit some traffic and i slow a little to duck around a car but the acuras' lane is clear and gets ahead with me a few feet away from his bumper he then breaks for a car in his lane and won't go anymore those things pull hard from around 60mph .what does our 2nd gear top out at? is it ok to down shift to 2nd if your doing about 50mph?
Cool! You can easily shift down to 2nd at 50mph and pull up to around 60-65mph. The mighty 260HP more expensive car gets passed again! They were probably wondering what the hell happened? I see this being another long thread with the Acura boys whining, complaining and non believers...here we go again! (hopefully not though)

PS Post some pics of your car..probably looks wicked!

Old 06-13-2001, 11:02 PM
nc00max

Great, now you ****ed off our dip**** friend in the CL-S again. I give it 5 minutes before he's over here *****ing about how FOS we all are. Oh well, flame on!

Old 06-13-2001, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by nc00max
Great, now you ****ed off our dip**** friend in the CL-S again. I give it 5 minutes before he's over here *****ing about how FOS we all are. Oh well, flame on!

Old 06-13-2001, 11:32 PM

quansung, where are you located?
Old 06-14-2001, 01:54 AM

hey the acura cl-s is fast

i have a maxima and i thought it was fast because it can catch the sunset in the commercials, but i was wrong. i think the acura cl-s is much faster because in the cl-s commercial the dude gets off from work in LA probably around 5-6??? , but then he has a date with this chick in San Francisco, and he makes it there in what??? (2-3 hrs)? because i don't think the chick would meet him up for dinner around 9 or 10, most restaurants are closed. so the cl-s can make it from LA to San Francisco in about 2 hrs and the distance is about 400 miles, so the acura cl-s is fast in my book, it goes about 200 MPH or around 133 if it takes 3 hrs. Man that is a fast car, if i went to SF driving that fast the whole way, my egine would blow, plus my car can't hit 200 like the cl-s. the weird thing is , in the commercial he's going like 40 and then tries to redline it so that hes going around 60, i have no idea, but the acura is a FAST car. don't mess with it, i know my maxima can catch the sun , but on the trip to SF i will surely lose to the cl-s.
Old 06-14-2001, 04:19 AM

Re: hey the acura cl-s is fast

Hahaha, ur too funny. Dont know how much truth goes into commercials but i believe the typeS is faster than our cars, 5 spd or not. That is why nissan has a 260hp version maxima soon, then im pretty sure with a 6spd and lighter weight, we will be faster for sure.

Originally posted by NisMoMAX01SE
i have a maxima and i thought it was fast because it can catch the sunset in the commercials, but i was wrong. i think the acura cl-s is much faster because in the cl-s commercial the dude gets off from work in LA probably around 5-6??? , but then he has a date with this chick in San Francisco, and he makes it there in what??? (2-3 hrs)? because i don't think the chick would meet him up for dinner around 9 or 10, most restaurants are closed. so the cl-s can make it from LA to San Francisco in about 2 hrs and the distance is about 400 miles, so the acura cl-s is fast in my book, it goes about 200 MPH or around 133 if it takes 3 hrs. Man that is a fast car, if i went to SF driving that fast the whole way, my egine would blow, plus my car can't hit 200 like the cl-s. the weird thing is , in the commercial he's going like 40 and then tries to redline it so that hes going around 60, i have no idea, but the acura is a FAST car. don't mess with it, i know my maxima can catch the sun , but on the trip to SF i will surely lose to the cl-s.
Old 06-14-2001, 04:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

...waiting for the CL-S people to comment.

I don't think all CL-S people are all that bad. I met up with a few in my area, and of course, I got toasted. However, they were quite cool to talk to afterward. I know a few that came over here who were quite arrogant and would talk down to us just because they got a CL-S. The guys that I met weren't like that. Hm...maybe they are not members of those boards.
Old 06-14-2001, 04:58 AM
Got Bent?

uh-oh......

nice job Quansung
Old 06-14-2001, 05:23 AM

i have a maxima and i thought it was fast because it can catch the sunset in the commercials, but i was wrong. i think the acura cl-s is much faster because in the cl-s commercial the dude gets off from work in LA probably around 5-6??? , but then he has a date with this chick in San Francisco, and he makes it there in what??? (2-3 hrs)?
No way dude! The CL-S is **MUCH** faster than that!! The chick in the commercial was in NEW YORK!!! 400 miles in 2 hours for 200mph? HA!! Try about 3000 miles in the same time, but you have to factor in the time zone changes too, so he was darn near there instantaneously!!

I think the CL-S has some sort of transporter beam in it where it can instantly beam itself wherever it wants to be, including in front of any Maxima

Old 06-14-2001, 07:23 AM
QUANSUNG

Originally posted by MrBurner
quansung, where are you located?
union county nj.

Old 06-14-2001, 08:18 AM
PhatGuy

That is hillarious!

Old 06-14-2001, 08:21 AM

A type S if faster than an auto Max,

but, if you have a 5-speed, it will be very close.

Go drive one yourself, a type S is not THAT fast.

There is 260 hp, but that's PEAK hp, and more importantly, the torque is only like 225.

And most importantly, it weights 300 more than the Maxima.
The slight power advantage is more than offset by the additional weight.

If driven properly, a 5-speed Max can beat a CL-S.

When the 2002 Max comes out, it will have 245 lb of torque, and the power will be more evenly distributed through the rev range because of the bigger displacement.

ALL THE QUESTIONS AND DOUBTS WILL BE SETTLED IN SPETEMBER.

HAHAHAHHAH!

Prepare your way, for here comes the VQ 3.5
Old 06-14-2001, 08:21 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: hey the acura cl-s is fast

Do you drive a 2K+ 5spd? The CL-S is not faster. The 260HP Max will be on higher level that the CL/TL-S. The new 240HP 5spd altima will beat the current acuras for sure.
Spend your money wisely! More car in the Nissan's than the Acura. Nav systems and expensive options are nonesense....who wants the gov't tracking you?

Originally posted by johnsmax
Hahaha, ur too funny. Dont know how much truth goes into commercials but i believe the typeS is faster than our cars, 5 spd or not. That is why nissan has a 260hp version maxima soon, then im pretty sure with a 6spd and lighter weight, we will be faster for sure.

Old 06-14-2001, 08:30 AM
JET Speed Lab

Old 06-14-2001, 10:09 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: A type S if faster than an auto Max,

That engine barely puts down 200 at the wheels guys, I have seen stock dyno plots from 190-200 on a stock CL-S. They are way way overated...

Originally posted by ArcticMax
but, if you have a 5-speed, it will be very close.

Go drive one yourself, a type S is not THAT fast.

There is 260 hp, but that's PEAK hp, and more importantly, the torque is only like 225.

And most importantly, it weights 300 more than the Maxima.
The slight power advantage is more than offset by the additional weight.

If driven properly, a 5-speed Max can beat a CL-S.

When the 2002 Max comes out, it will have 245 lb of torque, and the power will be more evenly distributed through the rev range because of the bigger displacement.

ALL THE QUESTIONS AND DOUBTS WILL BE SETTLED IN SPETEMBER.

HAHAHAHHAH!

Prepare your way, for here comes the VQ 3.5

Old 06-14-2001, 11:30 AM

Re: Re: A type S if faster than an auto Max,

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
That engine barely puts down 200 at the wheels guys, I have seen stock dyno plots from 190-200 on a stock CL-S. They are way way overated...

I was about to say since these CL-S have auto's that means they lose HP b/c of that, just like the auto Max's. BTW, with all these races with CL-S, has anyone had any experience racing the elusive TL-S?
Old 06-14-2001, 12:07 PM
Chillboy

wassup guys... I think that the CL S and the 2k maxima 5speed are on equal footing. one of my best friend has one and when we raced in the streets, it all came down to who pressed the gas pedal first. Our cars were head to head the whole time. When he got headers for his car which he claims that added 20 hp, we raced again. my only mods then were stillen intake and muffler... and it was still close... yeah he beat me barely but ill get my revenge when i install my y-pipe. I am sure I will kick his @$$ then. should be on its way right now. anyways, the funny thing with my friend is that he is always begging me to drive MY CAR, cuz its 5 speed and all... but i hate letting him drive cuz he cant drive manual for $#@*!! aiite, peace out... and screw the CL S... the cars to fear are the BMW 540i. they are fast as hell... got my @$$ killed when i raced a month ago.

Old 06-14-2001, 12:25 PM

i'm pretty sure the guy was from LA

in the cl-s commercial the guy claims he was STUCK in traffic, and the chick says OH????where do you work? and that guy claims LA. so with traffic and everything he still gets there in less that 2 hrs. damn that VTEC, giving him all that 200HP or more.
Old 06-14-2001, 12:50 PM

Re: i'm pretty sure the guy was from LA

in the cl-s commercial the guy claims he was STUCK in traffic, and the chick says OH????where do you work? and that guy claims LA. so with traffic and everything he still gets there in less that 2 hrs. damn that VTEC, giving him all that 200HP or more.
Hmm, well the commericial I saw in PA (it was actually a TL-S commercial) had the same thing only the New York skyline was clearly visible. Nissan might have different versions of the same commercial for different markets. Like if you're in Cal. they might made it LA to SF because Cal. people might be more familiar with rush hour LA to SF times and traffic...heh heh. Us east coasters would be more familiar with the impossibility of an LA to NY trip
Old 06-14-2001, 01:36 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Re: Re: i'm pretty sure the guy was from LA

Originally posted by stevepake
Hmm, well the commericial I saw in PA (it was actually a TL-S commercial) had the same thing only the New York skyline was clearly visible. Nissan might have different versions of the same commercial for different markets. Like if you're in Cal. they might made it LA to SF because Cal. people might be more familiar with rush hour LA to SF times and traffic...heh heh. Us east coasters would be more familiar with the impossibility of an LA to NY trip
Yeah, they must not teach Geography over there on the West coast.
Old 06-14-2001, 01:49 PM

:: i just read this thread and it's rediculously funny. Yeah, well maybe someone should do a front wheel drive to rear wheel drive conversion to their Maxima. Then we'd be kicking those guys from the other forums.
Old 06-14-2001, 02:08 PM

I'm Back!

Hello guys, just got tired of reading all these post about Max this Max that. All I know is that when I was stock I beat a 5sp Max and an auto, it wasn't a kill but I won both races. Why is it that all of you keep talking about the new Max with its stolen variable timing copied from Honda the original! The CL-S will be getting a 6sp also this fall and I know this car will be a monster, no lose of horsepower to the wheels so watch out. Your cars aren't even on the level of the CL-S, you can't even beat a Type R! You people on this board kill me, you'll think the Max is the greatest car on earth get over yourselves. Don't be mad at me that you can't afford an Acura, with its Navigaton, Vehichle Stability System and Xennon lights. At the end of the day you still drive a freakin NISSAN, and I drive an Acura ......VTEC Power.... The Original!!!!!

Yes, I am a retard
Old 06-14-2001, 02:18 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: I'm Back!

Originally posted by Acura2001CL-S
Hello guys, just got tired of reading all these post about Max this Max that. All I know is that when I was stock I beat a 5sp Max and an auto, it wasn't a kill but I won both races. Why is it that all of you keep talking about the new Max with its stolen variable timing copied from Honda the original! The CL-S will be getting a 6sp also this fall and I know this car will be a monster, no lose of horsepower to the wheels so watch out. Your cars aren't even on the level of the CL-S, you can't even beat a Type R! You people on this board kill me, you'll think the Max is the greatest car on earth get over yourselves. Don't be mad at me that you can't afford an Acura, with its Navigaton, Vehichle Stability System and Xennon lights. At the end of the day you still drive a freakin NISSAN, and I drive an Acura ......VTEC Power.... The Original!!!!!
Dude, get your head out of your @$$ and straighten out your facts. Variable timing came from Nissan first. Honda took it and ran with it. Wanna argue? YJ's got some ranch flavored Corn Nuts you can suck on.
Old 06-14-2001, 02:18 PM

Yes the Maxima is affordable. Remember, the Maxima isn't the best car in the world. He does have a point but this is a MAXIMA FORUM. Shouldn't you be back in your CL-S/TL-S forum?
Old 06-14-2001, 02:21 PM
RussMaxManiac

Stolen variable timing? The 3.0 VQ doesn't have variable timing, it has variable intake runners and a muffler that switches over. It was patented in 1999. It was out before the CL-S ever hit the road. Also Nissan had vtec and variable timing way before Honda ever came out with it on there cars.

Who you say stole it? Oh yeah, also Nissan orginally had the SE-R then Acura stole TYPE-R (R). Yawn, you don't know your data good. Can't afford an Acura huh? I didn't want a granny feeling car. Mushy suspension, too soft for my liking, plus the max performs better and came with a standard unlike automagic.

Old 06-14-2001, 02:23 PM

Don't be mad at me that you can't afford an Acura, with its Navigaton, Vehichle Stability System and Xennon lights. At the end of the day you still drive a freakin NISSAN, and I drive an Acura ......VTEC Power.... The Original!!!!!
See, these are the kind of *****-azz comments that make me glad I'm not an Acura owner.

FYI, Mr. Acura2001CL-S, I drive an ACCORD V6 (I don't even drive a Maxima), and in fact I'm a moderator on the SHO Accord V6 forum. I very easily COULD have afforded a CL-S or TL-S, and many of these guys here could have as well, but I have better things to waste money on than a car - my life isn't THAT empty - sorry!

I almost bought a TL/TL-S, but now I'm glad I didn't buy one, becasue then I'd be another face in the crowd of superiorist *****-azz losers like yourselves, who hide your own faults behind the fine quality of the nice cars that Acura builds.

It's not the cars that I have a problem with.

It's the people behind the wheel that I can't stand.

Please don't post until you grow up a few decades and catch up to your own age. You're obviously behind a good bit.
Old 06-14-2001, 02:40 PM
Got Bent?

ouch....steve layin the smack down
Old 06-14-2001, 02:53 PM

Steve is really ing his ego now.
Old 06-14-2001, 03:07 PM

Don't let this guy get to you

A friend of mine owns a CL-S. It's a really nice car. He also spends time on the acura-cl board and the TL board and I've talked to him about guys like the one above...most aren't like him. I even met some guys off the TL board at Hot Import Nights in Ft. Lauderdale and they were cool, asked me tons of questions about the Max, and never once gave me some teen-aged attitude that we get from some other people.

Some people get no respect because they don't deserve any.
Old 06-14-2001, 03:17 PM

Re: Don't let this guy get to you

Originally posted by Max I am
I even met some guys off the TL board at Hot Import Nights in Ft. Lauderdale and they were cool, asked me tons of questions about the Max, and never once gave me some teen-aged attitude that we get from some other people.

Some people get no respect because they don't deserve any.
That's true. Every forum is going to have their share of "bad seeds" that go trolling around other boards and flaming so that they feel better about themselves, or forget about their own problems, so perhaps it was wrong of me to generalize based on just the idiots that come over here. Maybe Acura2001CL-S is just one of these "bad seeds". I've never been to the TL/CL boards, but I'm sure you're right that they're not all like him. There certainly seems to be a lot of these snobs like him that come over here when the flaming begins, though.
Old 06-14-2001, 03:18 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

There's always a bad apple amongst the bunch. I know for a fact that not all CL-S owners act this way.
Old 06-14-2001, 04:02 PM

Yes, I am a retard
Why do u come over here and say such unintelligent things. You are obviously a moron. As for a CL-S, it is a good deal price wise, but it sucks performance wise. And for the part about not affording a CL-S, thats a joke. The joke is on you really because you paid more than us for a car that is SLOWER. If i wanted to pay extra money for a extry level luxury car i would buy a BMW 3 series or IS. Now how does your CL-S compare to those cars....IT DOESNT. Take your CL-S to a race track and watch your car get smoked. Having driven a 330i and CL-S, I can say that they arent in the same league. Isnt a TL/CL made off the same chassis as the Honda Accord???
Old 06-14-2001, 06:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't get why this guy has to be such an ***! Like I said, I met a few CL-S guys and even one TL-S guy in my area and they were very cool. They were knowledgeable and appreciated cars in general. Of course, they would sometimes joke they wouldn't chose a Maxima, but that was all in fun. Next time, I run into these guys, I'll tell them to check our board out. Then, you'll know that most CL-S guys don't act like this fool.
Old 06-14-2001, 11:28 PM

ohh bmw 330

now theres a real luxury car compared to the cl-s, i would bow to that, hands down, BMW wins, a REAL sports luxury car, not like the cl-s. i wish i had a bimmer. but then again i only turned 21, i think my SE maxima is good enough for me, the BMW will come later on when i want a REAL sports luxury car. (cl-s)= poor mans bimmer, hey i don't hate the car, just the guy who keeps coming in a maxima forum , just trying to hate.
Old 06-14-2001, 11:34 PM

Re: Re: I'm Back!

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Dude, get your head out of your @$$ and straighten out your facts. Variable timing came from Nissan first. Honda took it and ran with it. Wanna argue? YJ's got some ranch flavored Corn Nuts you can suck on.
first insult kev? couldnt hold the polite moderator act? u go boy!
Old 06-14-2001, 11:52 PM

sorry kev

i love maximas kev, please don't give me the boot hehe.
Old 06-15-2001, 02:04 AM
nc00max

see, I told you Doofy would be over here soon enough...even his fellow Honda owner is telling him to cram it. You'd think he'd have gotten the hint by now...

Old 06-15-2001, 06:44 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: sorry kev

Originally posted by AznWontonboy

first insult kev? couldnt hold the polite moderator act? u go boy!
If he didn't mention Honda being the first to have variable timing then I wouldn't have said anything.

heheheh j/k
Old 06-15-2001, 07:21 AM

Re: sorry kev

Quick Reply: Just Raced 2 Cl-type S