5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about automatic transmission fluid level.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Question about automatic transmission fluid level.

Last year i had constant slipping problems with the transmission. Often, when I would stop at a red light and then accelerate when it would turn green, the car would not shift at all for a few seconds and just act as if it was in neutral. After a few seconds it would jerk into gear really harshly. It would do this about few times a month.

I would check the A/T fluid level and it would always be within range. However, I would always check when the car was cold. So few months ago i started checking the level when the car was warm, and noticed the fluid level was slightly low. After adding the fluid, I dont have the slipping problem anymore.

Is it normal for a transmission to slip with a slightly lower fluid level? Also, did the harsh shifting cause much harm to the transmission? I think it jerked into gear maybe about 10 times at most. Other than that I never peel out or abuse the tansmission.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:15 PM

This is old, but I'm bumping it because I am currently experiencing the same exact issue....wondering if low fluid level would cause this problem
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 PM

you hit the nail on the head my friend.......
there are some other possibilities of course. one thing about tranny fluid is that it not only lubricates but helps perform the hydraulic action needed to "go" if you will.....
Old 01-22-2009, 08:39 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by mHOVA
This is old, but I'm bumping it because I am currently experiencing the same exact issue....wondering if low fluid level would cause this problem
Yes, given that the trans completely relies on the ATF in order to function.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:41 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by pmohr
Yes, given that the trans completely relies on the ATF in order to function.
...and they get really weird when the fluid gets low.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM

From my experience trans fluid temperature is an issue. If the fluid gets too hot, the level goes down and my trans slips. After installing my B&M trans cooler, slipping has decreased. I also had to avoid bumper to bumper traffic and hard driving during the day. Nights are not a problem. Don't know anyone who has the same issue as me.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:52 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by 808MAX-SPEC
From my experience trans fluid temperature is an issue. If the fluid gets too hot, the level goes down and my trans slips. After installing my B&M trans cooler, slipping has decreased. I also had to avoid bumper to bumper traffic and hard driving during the day. Nights are not a problem. Don't know anyone who has the same issue as me.
You might have an issue with blockage in the cooler lines or maybe your radiator isn't cooling adequately. The temperature gauges in our cars (and pretty much all modern cars) are dampened so they don't show temperature swings provided the engine isn't running excessively hot or cold. If the needle flucuated with every 5-10 degree temperature swing, people would panic and be running to the dealers constantly. It is possible your car is running at the high end of the acceptable range and that is enough to cause the tranmission fluid to get hot.

Regardless of the cause, what you are experiencing is NOT normal. Bumper to bumper traffic should not cause ATF to overheat if the cooling systems are working properly.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by 808MAX-SPEC
From my experience trans fluid temperature is an issue. If the fluid gets too hot, the level goes down and my trans slips.

You got that backwards, as the tranny temp fluid goes up, the level goes up as well. That's why the cold mark on the dip stick is lower then the hot mark.
You should always set the tranny fluid level hot, the cold mark is for referance only.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
You might have an issue with blockage in the cooler lines or maybe your radiator isn't cooling adequately.
Based on what I've experience, I suspected something was up with my radiator. So late last year purchased the Koyo from the GD and I plan to change it soon.

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
You got that backwards, as the tranny temp fluid goes up, the level goes up as well. That's why the cold mark on the dip stick is lower then the hot mark.
You should always set the tranny fluid level hot, the cold mark is for referance only.
You're right I do have it backwards. My bad.