5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th gen interior = superior to fourth gen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 07:43 PM

5th gen interior = superior to fourth gen?

I have a 5th gen in the family. and i've been in 4th gens and driven them. It seems to me the quality of leather and plastic materials are alot cheaper in the 4th gen than the 5th gen. There seems to be a whole lot of cheap hard plastic inside the 4th gen interior.Not only hard but very filmsy. Kinda like american cars. To me, it seem like my 96 camry and 91 prelude had much nicer interior than the 4th gen maxima.

My 5th gen, on the other hand is feels much more luxurious.....and plastics are not as filmsy.

and there's a bunch of lil things that annoy me in the 4th gen that when i was driving it.......it didnt give me that "maxima feel" that i'm so used to. Maybe i got spoiled by having a 5th gen.

I was just surprised by the amount of quality diff. between the generations. seems like night and day. rental car and luxury car.

Feel free to comment if you've driven both the 4th and 5th generation of the maxima
Old 04-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Sports Button FTW

i agree. My friend has a 96 max with my favorite interior, fully loaded with black leather. I have a beige with cloth, only driver is power and no heated seats. Aside from the fact that its not black i would 100% pick my interior over his. Seats feel better, there is more space and the interior is just fit better for multimedia. We both have the same head unit. Eclipse AVN 5435 and mine sits higher in the dash than his. I prefer the way mine sits, i honestly prefer everything of my interior over his, but what do u expect with a newer car. There is only room for improvement, these manufacturers are not supposed to work backwards. I also had a 97 fully loaded interior and i would pick my new one over that except for the fact that its not black...
Old 04-12-2006, 08:11 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

4th gen seats are lower to the ground and give a much greater feel of 'sportiness'

4 gen has a 3-din OEM pocket...you simply can't beat that

4th gen is how many years older than the 5th gen? Or course the materials are going to be better.

The 4th gen is less sport, more comfort.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times...I shoulda got a 4th gen.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Seoul Man

Remember what was going on with Nissan during the 4th gen Maxima's production years. Financial trouble. The B14 Sentra was a little ugly duckling too.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:08 AM
† ErV †

i would say they are the same. but both feel better than teh 6th.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:22 AM

I agree after owning two 4th gens ( 97 leather SE black 5 spd & 95 cloth SE 5spd) and now my 5.5 Gen the appointments are much nicer, another thing with my 4th gen there used to be things like " I wish the sunroof was a 1 touch" and " I wish the PW were auto up" and "I wish the cup holder had a lid and changeable" and " I wish the headlights were brighter" and " I wish the rear view mirror was auto dimmer" etc etc and presto chango get into a 5th gen and it's like Nissan read my mind! 5.5 Gen is def more luxurious, the only draw back I've noticed is the turning radius sucks compared to my 4th gen.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:10 AM

4th and 5th gens are still both heads and tails above the 6th gen nightmare interiors. I REALLY hope Nissan fixes the interiors in the 6th gens, as someday I'll inevitebly own one.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by kbohip
4th and 5th gens are still both heads and tails above the 6th gen nightmare interiors. I REALLY hope Nissan fixes the interiors in the 6th gens, as someday I'll inevitebly own one.
I had a 6th gen for a loaner.
I wouldn't expect a fix anytime soon as they have been busy fixing that abomination of an interior in the Quest!! Good job on the 2007 Quest though, finally a real dash and an intergrated pod. Hey no flaming.... I know it's a minivan but I have an Odyssey also for the fam.

No more Maxima's for me, next..... Infiniti I guess, heck I already want to trade the wifes Odyssey for an FX45!
Old 04-13-2006, 12:06 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Old 04-13-2006, 01:08 PM

We have one of each in the driveway ('96 GXE and '02 SE). Personally I like the layout of the 4th gen interior a little better (hazard light button easy to reach vs behind shifter). Materials are about the same, if anything the 4th gen feels a little more solid. However, the one touch sunroof and one touch up AND down for BOTH front windows are nice features on the '02. Steering wheel controls for the audio are also very nice. However, as someone else stated the 4th Gen has three nice DIN slots, which are great for aftermarket audio and gauge pods.

I'm looking to replace the '96 right now. I personally think the 4th gen is one of the world's best cars but having tasted the AWESOME power and torque of the VQ35, I think another '02-'03 with a 6-spd is going to end up in our garage.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Z

I found this a bit sad around January time I was pretty damn close to purchasing a 350Z. I went over to a dealership that a black one, loaded, etc etc. I sat inside it, and the first thing that I said outloud was "ugh! What the **** is this ****?" I'm fumbling around touching the interior and said "I feel like I'm in some Korean econobox. A Honda Element has a better looking inside. "

The interior of my 5th gen is a million times nicer. The 350Z was all plastic upfront, where as the only plastics found on the 5th gen are: cupholders and the actual electronics (HU and Climate Control). Everything else is either leather, vinyl, or leather wrapped.

5th gen interior FTMFW.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
I found this a bit sad around January time I was pretty damn close to purchasing a 350Z. I went over to a dealership that a black one, loaded, etc etc. I sat inside it, and the first thing that I said outloud was "ugh! What the **** is this ****?" I'm fumbling around touching the interior and said "I feel like I'm in some Korean econobox. A Honda Element has a better looking inside. "

The interior of my 5th gen is a million times nicer. The 350Z was all plastic upfront, where as the only plastics found on the 5th gen are: cupholders and the actual electronics (HU and Climate Control). Everything else is either leather, vinyl, or leather wrapped.

5th gen interior FTMFW.
werd, I felt the same way when i sat in a 350z at the dealership. everythin feels so fkin cheap plus u cant see anything thru the back window. so i hopped right out.

I was pretty happy about my 5th gen interior. not much to complain about but sitting in the fourth gen just didnt do it for me.

I remember sitting in a cloth 5.5 gen at a dealership and everything felt more filmsy than my 5th gen. Mayb i was hallucinating but thats how i felt.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
4th gen seats are lower to the ground and give a much greater feel of 'sportiness'

4 gen has a 3-din OEM pocket...you simply can't beat that

4th gen is how many years older than the 5th gen? Or course the materials are going to be better.

The 4th gen is less sport, more comfort.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times...I shoulda got a 4th gen.
Owned it. I Agree with you MetalMax all but I think 4th gen interior is more sporty than 5th gen.

P.S. I'd give everything for 4th gen seat in my 5th gen.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nomad
Owned it. I Agree with you MetalMax all but I think 4th gen interior is more sporty than 5th gen.

P.S. I'd give everything for 4th gen seat in my 5th gen.
Try the leather seats in a 5.5 gen! Far better not the best but better than any previous Maxima!
Old 04-13-2006, 06:59 PM

I have a 4th gen (97) and 5.5th gen (2003), both GLEs. The 03 has more gadgets and creature comfort features (such as heated steering wheel and driver seat that retracts backwards when you pull the key out of ignition), but the 4th gen definitely has a much better sounding Bose system. The so-called premium Bose headunit and speakers are quite junky in the 03, but the steering wheel audio control buttons are convenient.

I don't think I will buy a Maxima again, even though I bought three before. I will move up to Acura (RL or TL) or Lexus (GS or ES) when I shop for a new car next time, which will likely take place in the next few months.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by kenny
I don't think I will buy a Maxima again, even though I bought three before. I will move up to Acura (RL or TL) or Lexus (GS or ES) when I shop for a new car next time, which will likely take place in the next few months.
I'm an Infiniti/Nissan fan myself, but I can understand why you'd want to go Lexus/Toyota or Acura/Honda. Out of curiousity, why aren't any Infinitis on your list of possible upgrades?
Old 04-13-2006, 07:16 PM

yet all of this is pointless, because stupid nissan didnt put the automatic roll down window fuction for the 5th gens...yet they did for the 4th and 5.5 gens...so i guess it would be 5.5 gens that are superior to all the others...OH well....
Old 04-13-2006, 07:24 PM

According to Consumer Reports, Lexus/Toyota and Acura/Honda have better reliability records than Infiniti/Nissan. Not that my Maximas are unreliable -- in fact they are quite good -- but Infiniti/Nissan seems to suffer a brand recognition problem. The Infiniti M and G series are good cars, but they are not front wheel drive, which, to me, is a bit of a disadvantage because the winters here are snowy. AWD coupled with RWD is good, but it adds more complexities to the car, which will make maintenance and repair much more expensive.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:24 PM

5.5gen sounds like a very nice upgrade from the 5th gen.......but after seeing my next door neighbor gettin his headlights stolen within 30 secs after he had the car for 4 days........I'd think twice about getting a 5.5gen! =/
Old 04-13-2006, 10:05 PM

According to Consumer Reports, Lexus/Toyota and Acura/Honda have better reliability records than Infiniti/Nissan. Not that my Maximas are unreliable -- in fact they are quite good -- but Infiniti/Nissan seems to suffer a brand recognition problem. The Infiniti M and G series are good cars, but they are not front wheel drive, which, to me, is a bit of a disadvantage because the winters here are snowy. AWD coupled with RWD is good, but it adds more complexities to the car, which will make maintenance and repair much more expensive.
our damn transmision/mafs/ignition coils go bad ..... man i hate that....but i would get a maxima over a camry anyday. When iw as buying my car it was either a maxima or camry..my WHOLE family drives camrys'...they are reliable..but not "sporty" enough for me.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its damn obvious. 4th gen = 94, 5th gen = 00. technology gets better, not worse.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
its damn obvious. 4th gen = 94, 5th gen = 00. technology gets better, not worse.
5.5 gen = 02-03
5th gen = 00-01
4th gen = 95-99
3rd gen = 89-94

Gets facts straight please....
Old 04-14-2006, 05:16 AM

nissan interiors are getting lousy. the altima was the first step to cheap interiors and nissan isn't doing a great job fixing it. now the 5.5 gens interior is hands down way better then the 4th gen. come on put them side by side and theres no question. the 4th gen has hard plastic everywhere which is a sign of cheapness. Is the 4th gen sporty, i'd say yes, but it has the worst 4x4 look of all the generations....even the rear is high as hell......I love every thing about my 03 6 speed and will show a 4th gen the brake lights anytime.....
Old 04-14-2006, 06:53 AM

The Infiniti M and G series are good cars, but they are not front wheel drive, which, to me, is a bit of a disadvantage because the winters here are snowy.
Rear wheel drive cars are not that bad in snow by their nature, it is up to the driver who take the control of the car. I have been driving rear drive cars for many years, so I have the experience to back my statement. Actually driving a rear drive car in snow is pretty much fun.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 00Max00
Rear wheel drive cars are not that bad in snow by their nature, it is up to the driver who take the control of the car. I have been driving rear drive cars for many years, so I have the experience to back my statement. Actually driving a rear drive car in snow is pretty much fun.
thats why we sholuld have AWD maxima's
Old 04-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Z

Originally Posted by PandaXpress
5.5 gen = 02-03
5th gen = 00-01
4th gen = 95-99
3rd gen = 89-94

Gets facts straight please....
4th gens came out in 94. And 5th gens in 99.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:49 AM

RENAULT=Nissans down fall. Other japanese brands no how to cost cut more effectively then nissan. Renault may make nice cars in europe but they are phucking up nissan
Old 04-14-2006, 11:54 AM

dont know about quality, but design is certainly better in 5th, tho i do like the leather seat design in the 4th.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
4th gens came out in 94. And 5th gens in 99.
Uh, no. The 4th gens came out in 95, and the 5th gens in 2000. Unless you're trying to say that they were introduced in 94 and 99. How they ever went from the gorgeous 3rd gen to the homely 4th gen I'll never know.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:05 PM

so i guess the interior of the 6th gen is a step back in technology?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:20 PM

Yea I think Nissan had the Maxima interior just right for the 5.5, it looked luxurious and holds up well to lots of interiors/dashboard designs that are more recent. In 02 Nissan definately started the move of this car upscale just judging by the features and available equipment (memory seats, heated steering wheel etc,etc).
Old 04-18-2006, 07:24 PM

[QUOTE=maniax]so i guess the interior of the 6th gen is a step back in technology?[/QUOTE
I would not say in technology, but in quality/look yes. The interior of the 04-06's just does not look like it belongs in this type of car, the 07 seems to be a step back in the right direction a bit. This is after being criticized alot for the 04-06interior seeming out of place in a 30k or so car.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:29 PM

Uh, no. The 4th gens came out in 95, and the 5th gens in 2000. Unless you're trying to say that they were introduced in 94 and 99. How they ever went from the gorgeous 3rd gen to the homely 4th gen I'll never know.
Uh, yes. I bought my '95 in summer of '94. NYPD-Arnold is correct of when the gener's came out.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:26 AM
Z

How wrong you are. Both cars were released in the summer of 94 and 99.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:26 AM

The only complaint I have about the 5th gen interior that really bothers me is the "leather" inserts in the door panels. I used to have a 96 se w black leather, and the door panel inserts were so soft, and the leather was overlapped to give that luxury look. I know its supposed to be the sportier, but in the 5th gen, they are so cheap feeling and looking, they look like cheap plastic and they are barely rippled. Other than that I love the one touch roof & windows, the auto-dim, the cupholders, etc...
Old 04-19-2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima570
The only complaint I have about the 5th gen interior that really bothers me is the "leather" inserts in the door panels. I used to have a 96 se w black leather, and the door panel inserts were so soft, and the leather was overlapped to give that luxury look. I know its supposed to be the sportier, but in the 5th gen, they are so cheap feeling and looking, they look like cheap plastic and they are barely rippled. Other than that I love the one touch roof & windows, the auto-dim, the cupholders, etc...
I dunno about your 5.5gen but my 5th gen has ripples in the leather inserts.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:30 PM

The door inserts are vinyl not leather..........only the seating surface is leather.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Z

Mine are definitely leather...
Old 04-21-2006, 06:57 PM

IMO, Nissan pretty much fixed the 6th Gen interior for the '07 MY.

I think it stacks up pretty well to my '03 SE.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:56 PM

dude.....the camry's interior is a POS. that 96 camry's dash is so ugly it's unbelivable. My friend has got one that he hates it, his brothers hates it, his sister hates it, i hate it. I gotta say i do love the 5th gen's interior. First time i went to dealership to see it, i was amazed. The 4th gen is not bad either, I like it too. Our interior is way better looking then lot of cars out there.

Quick Reply: 5th gen interior = superior to fourth gen?