5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Changed OUT Redline MT90 from my 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 07:12 AM

Changed OUT Redline MT90 from my 6spd

Thought I'd share this info with you 6 spd owners. I bought my car from a former org member in January, he mentioned he had a mechanic replace the tranny oil with Redline MT90 synthetic, but I wasn't happy with the notchiness. I did the ES bushing upgrade and things got better, but 2nd and 3rd gear especially when cold were still not very good, I was starting to think syncro. After chatting with a pretty good service tech at my local Nissan dealer he recommended putting in Nissan's own Synthetic MT oil, I told him it already had Redline synthetic. He then said if I was looking for any kind of powertrain warranty on the tranny down the line he suggested having the Nissan Oil in. So I booked the car in for some other non-related powertrain warranty work(http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB03-060.htm) and got them to change the MT oil at the same time. Well I got the car back yesterday and I've got to say the Nissan Synthetic stuff rocks! I really wasn't expecting any difference and was actually a little choked about dumping the Redline, I thought the Tech was BSing me, but the difference is like shifting in dirt and melted butter now, I'm amazed at the difference a fluid can make from one synthetic to another, unless the previous owner got screwed and the mechanic there never put the Redline in? but I have to assume he did . I'm not saying you need to got out and dump your Redline if you're happy but if you have regular MT oil and you're thinking of changing to Redline or some other aftermarket, I'd highly recommend going with the Nissan stuff. Plus there would be no possible issues with your powertrain warranty

PS Oh yes I'm sure someone will ask it cost me $100CAN which includes fluid, labour and our massive taxes up here
Old 06-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I felt a night and day difference going from OEM MT fluid to Redline MT90, for the better of course. I'd say the comparison needed to be done yourself to know for sure because there is no way to confirm that you did indeed have MT90 in there before. Regardless, as long as you're happy with what ya got, that's all that matters.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I felt a night and day difference going from OEM MT fluid to Redline MT90, for the better of course. I'd say the comparison needed to be done yourself to know for sure because there is no way to confirm that you did indeed have MT90 in there before. Regardless, as long as you're happy with what ya got, that's all that matters.

I agree, I think the former owner got
Old 06-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Play with my balls

Shouldn't there be an interval period where you would change the tranny fluid anyway? SR20DEN changed mine from oem to Redline and it improved greatly, but now my shifts feel like it first did. I think that you have to change this periodically, and I'm going to change mine again in the next week or 2. The fluid might be dirty and has thickened up. I'll report back when I change mine out with the same MT90.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:56 AM

ok first of all

huge BS flag for not warrantying tranny cuz of non nissan fluid

second of all, just because the tranny had Redline in it doesnt mean it worked wanders

in reality, doing a fluid change clears out all the gunk and shavings and all that which is normal in manual trannies.

if you would have changed the fluid and put some more redline in, then the difference would have been the same

Nissan's synthetic is not magical and neither is redline..a synthetic is a synthetic
Old 06-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Need A Light?

I second redline mt-90...this thing works wonders and shift smooth as butter...

if you want to get some for about $8.25 per quart shipped....check out www.myoilshop.com ...they are cheap and fast service! back in the days, they use to have a 10% off code...which made it even more of a steal when i ordered a case and split it among friends!
Old 06-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Thinks he is fast

for the MT-90. I ordered mine online for a little less than $9 a quart (3 quarts) and did this change myself. I noticed a day and night difference right afterward. I also changed the fluid in my friend's camaro ss to redline with the same results. I think the most likely scenario is that something other than redline was put in, but it could be old fluid like someone else said. Redline makes some great products check their site out it has a lot of info. on it.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:34 PM
vsamoylov

thumbs up for mt-90 as well. it did help and there was a noticiable difference from oem fluid. but now 40k down the line 3rd and 5th gear synchros are going out on me but that is not due to mt-90 fluid but due to nissan and they early design of those synchros.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:26 PM

Don't get me wrong I'm not flaming MT-90 at all, I've used it in most of my vehicles, in fact when the former owner said he had it put in I was happy, just relaying along my experience, how often should it be changed? As this is now the 3rd time in under 60K
Old 06-02-2006, 02:43 PM

i changed to mt-90 i didnt notice any difference, maybe a little better but not much
Old 06-02-2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
Don't get me wrong I'm not flaming MT-90 at all, I've used it in most of my vehicles, in fact when the former owner said he had it put in I was happy, just relaying along my experience, how often should it be changed? As this is now the 3rd time in under 60K

while changing three times during 60k isnt bad at all

if you are changing everytime becuase it shifts really hard, i would think there might be an issue somewhere in your tranny

i changed mine once at 10k it is now at 65k and still shifts like new ( the redline didnt really make that much of a difference)
Old 06-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Need A Light?

i change mine out every 15k miles....i like how it shifts like new, so i don't mind the extra $25
Old 06-02-2006, 03:30 PM
vsamoylov

its makes a difference when the tranny is cold like during cold mornings.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:34 PM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

Originally Posted by jeepik
ok first of all

huge BS flag for not warrantying tranny cuz of non nissan fluid
I am not sure about Nissans warranty, but at the BMW dealership I work at, if the factory recommended fluid is not in the failing part, It will not be replaced under warranty.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:23 PM

About to go ahead and buy Red-Line to replace my new purchased Max's tranny oil... Is Mobil any better?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:30 PM

I too am not sure about the redline synthetic. I read rave reviews on the stuff before I put it in my car and I am yet to see where it is any better than what nissan uses. It definitely does not feel smoother or any less notchy to me. I am thinking the nothiness has something to do with the clutch pedal squeek under the hood. I guess it could be the release mechanism or throw out bearing. The problem is those components aren't worth replacing unless you also need to replace your clutch as well.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:40 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by rmd0311
About to go ahead and buy Red-Line to replace my new purchased Max's tranny oil... Is Mobil any better?

I would recommend Amsoil Synthetic...
Old 06-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Toolie

I've run MT-90, amsoil MT and mobil 1 synthetics. IMHO the mobil 1 was the best of the bunch.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:24 PM

AFAIK, the Mobil1 MTF (75W90) is not GL-4 rated, only Gl-5/MT-1. In this case, I'd settle for second "best".
Old 06-20-2006, 02:31 PM
maxS

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I've run MT-90, amsoil MT and mobil 1 synthetics. IMHO the mobil 1 was the best of the bunch.
if mobile 1 was not gl-4 your syncros are gone

Old 06-20-2006, 02:32 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by maxS
if mobile 1 was not gl-4 your syncros are gone
kinda like mine?

Old 06-20-2006, 02:37 PM
maxS

Originally Posted by mdloops
I am thinking the nothiness has something to do with the clutch pedal squeek under the hood. I guess it could be the release mechanism or throw out bearing. .
man... do u have any idea what u r saying.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:39 PM
maxS

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
kinda like mine?
well... they are only half-way gone ?

Old 06-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Toolie

Well if my syncros are gone the dealership owes me a new tranny
Old 06-20-2006, 03:15 PM

man... do u have any idea what u r saying.
Yes I do but you don't considering it doesn't appear that you even own the type of car/tranny we are all talking about..... I am referring to the lack of crispness some experience NOT due to shifter bushings.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:32 PM
maxS

Yes I do but you don't considering it doesn't appear that you even own the type of car/tranny we are all talking about..... I am referring to the lack of crispness some experience NOT due to shifter bushings.
i really do need a laugh like this once in a while ...
now i've got say this: Do you have any idea who you are talking to? "it doesn't appear" that u got a clue
"own the type of car/tranny"

Old 06-20-2006, 05:26 PM

Well., Just ordered RedLine MT90 from Myoilshop.com... Hoping I get it by Saturday Morning... I want to be able to do this with my Mechanic on Saturday when I'm also changing my brakes/rotors and regular oil.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:53 AM

i really do need a laugh like this once in a while ...
now i've got say this: Do you have any idea who you are talking to? "it doesn't appear" that u got a clue
"own the type of car/tranny"
There is nobody on this board worthy of any kind of all out recognition. Unless,,,, President Bush is that you? It says you own a 2000 GXE. Why would the president buy the cheapest bottom of the barrel trim level?..... I am done throwing jabs now, please don't ruin another thread by picking a fight with me again....
Old 06-21-2006, 12:09 PM

I have gone from Nissan OEM to Redline MT-90 to Amsoil MTF and have not noticed an appreciable difference after any of the fluid changes.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:22 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Well if my syncros are gone the dealership owes me a new tranny
Why because YOU put the wrong fluid in?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:36 PM
vsamoylov

There is nobody on this board worthy of any kind of all out recognition. Unless,,,, President Bush is that you? It says you own a 2000 GXE. Why would the president buy the cheapest bottom of the barrel trim level?..... I am done throwing jabs now, please don't ruin another thread by picking a fight with me again....
you have got to be kidding right? that statement made me laugh as well.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:37 PM
vsamoylov

car/tranny?

Old 06-21-2006, 03:34 PM

I'm not sure Nissan makes their own synthetic tranny fluid. I think all they have is dino for the tranny. Anyhow, I've recently put in Specialty Formulations MTL-P oil in the tranny and am pretty satisfied. Check out that oil as it does not get enough recognition on here for some reason?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:44 PM
maxS

car/tranny?
i know, this is the second day and i can't stop laughing...
now, this guy hangs out here, and he knows (out of all ppl) of the president only... No, i'm not GWB...
could I be Clinton?

Old 06-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Drug Money

maybe?
Old 06-25-2006, 07:53 PM

you have got to be kidding right? that statement made me laugh as well.
Now don't make me call INS
Old 06-26-2006, 01:49 PM
vsamoylov

Now don't make me call INS
ok lame joke

Old 06-29-2006, 07:28 PM

Well I posted this before, but @ 5000 miles, I had the famous 3rd gear grinding noise, and to me, putting in RedLine fluids did not seem to be the right thing to do. Why should I - damn car is new and should work! So I took the car to Nissan, and they changed (from my receipt) - "R&R trans to replace bearings and hubs.... bearing-needle, ring-baulk, spring-shifting, insert shifting, coupling & hub, gear-4th input, bearing input g", 75-85 Manual Trans. Oil". I don't know what these are (except for the oil), but they called in a master tech. kept the car for a few days, and after that, so far no probs. Granted today I've only got 21K on it, but still this fix was done back in 10/03, and all the gears are smooth now.

I don't know why many of us here just think they should replace the fluids with RedLine. Even today, the tranny is covered with the powertrain warranty. If u've got 3rd gear grinding issues, take the car back, and they should fix it. NTB3-015 specifically states to use Nissan MTF HQ Multi 75W-85 for 01-04 cars. Maybe its a plug to use Nissan parts, but to me, hell, if u're car is covered, why not take it back?

Grinding is mechanical. Even if RedLine helps (and for some it hasn't), I imagine it is simply delaying the inevitable. I honestly think there are problems with the 6 spd. parts, and Nissan will fix it free, and it will last. But u gotta take the car in. Now, in 2006, time has gone by and mileage has increased, but a few years ago when mileage was still low, I think they would have fixed the cars w/o hassle...

For the folks that have been successful with aftermarket fluids, more power to ya, but for those still suffering from 3rd gear grinding problems, take the car back before time, and mileage get by! I'm with MaxRB8 on this one.

ShysMax
'02 6Spd.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Toolie

Originally Posted by Stardust
Why because YOU put the wrong fluid in?
No because THEY put it in when I got my 95K service done. Incidenatally I emailed Mobil 1 and they do NOT make a GL-4 synthetic for the public. So if you are running Mobil 1 Synthetic you risk oxidizing your yellow metal pieces in the transmission. According to the dealership I go to, Nissan CANADA is recommending Mobil 1 synthetic which is completely assinine since Mobil 1 themselves say it shouldn't be used in a GL-4 application. I showed the emails to the service manager and he was stunned to say the least. He paid to replace the Mobil 1 with Amsoil which I had been running when I took the car in for 95K service.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:39 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

No because THEY put it in when I got my 95K service done. Incidenatally I emailed Mobil 1 and they do NOT make a GL-4 synthetic for the public. So if you are running Mobil 1 Synthetic you risk oxidizing your yellow metal pieces in the transmission. According to the dealership I go to, Nissan CANADA is recommending Mobil 1 synthetic which is completely assinine since Mobil 1 themselves say it shouldn't be used in a GL-4 application. I showed the emails to the service manager and he was stunned to say the least. He paid to replace the Mobil 1 with Amsoil which I had been running when I took the car in for 95K service.
WOW!! thats crazy.

Quick Reply: Changed OUT Redline MT90 from my 6spd