5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Mod Installed: OGG Grill...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 09:33 PM

I just finished installing my very own OGG Grill. Very much thanks goes out to FloMax for pioneering this mod. I picked up a 10" x 30' or so roll of the mesh for about $3 so if anyone in the Seattle area (circo, michael, tim, etc.) wants to hook it up, they can. I need to pick up some black zip ties. I have it on with blue zip ties. They are very hard to see, but I'd rather black. I'm thinking of putting it in behind the main grill too. Do you guys think it would disturb air flow too much?
Old 06-18-2001, 09:40 PM
RBa

I have the same grille!!! I got mine off of Clee130 who went to Home Depot with 1hotmax & bought it for the same price...
I installed mine on the bottom valance & the mesh is holding itself in place.. No ziptie here!!!

As for the main grill, Go for it!!! If it disrupts airflow, you can always remove it...
Old 06-18-2001, 10:02 PM

We want pics!!! We want pics!!!
Old 06-18-2001, 11:12 PM
PhatGuy

Ya Pics Pics Pics....
Oh and any install tips/tricks are always cool!

Thanks!

PS You mentioned "roll" of mesh? The one I saw at home depot earlier is a 6" x 36" "Gutter Guard" . Made with aluminized steel. What exactly did you use and what was it made from?

Originally posted by SFMax20SE
We want pics!!! We want pics!!!

Old 06-18-2001, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Ya Pics Pics Pics....
Oh and any install tips/tricks are always cool!

Thanks!

PS You mentioned "roll" of mesh? The one I saw at home depot earlier is a 6" x 36" "Gutter Guard" . Made with aluminized steel. What exactly did you use and what was it made from?

Doh... I forgot to check what it was made of. It was a 30' roll. Enough here for several maxes.

Installation is really straight forward once you are down on the ground. The hardest part is removing the damned clips that hold the splash guard in. From there it's:

1. Stuff it in.
2. Secure it how you best see fit.

I'll take pics once I get the black zip-ties.
Old 06-19-2001, 05:29 AM
Got Bent?

heheheh......another innovative mod brought to you by the Ooglie Research University

\
Old 06-19-2001, 05:34 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by punkdork
I just finished installing my very own OGG Grill. Very much thanks goes out to FloMax for pioneering this mod. I picked up a 10" x 30' or so roll of the mesh for about $3 so if anyone in the Seattle area (circo, michael, tim, etc.) wants to hook it up, they can. I need to pick up some black zip ties. I have it on with blue zip ties. They are very hard to see, but I'd rather black. I'm thinking of putting it in behind the main grill too. Do you guys think it would disturb air flow too much?

I saw that roll, but it was really too flimsy for the front. The sheet's that are there are much stronger and won't bend or move in the wind compared to the thin stuff.

I got the sheet, so when I am done soon to be pics!

Old 06-19-2001, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

I saw that roll, but it was really too flimsy for the front. The sheet's that are there are much stronger and won't bend or move in the wind compared to the thin stuff.

I got the sheet, so when I am done soon to be pics!
Yeah I do have durability questions with this stuff. I was able to tear it off the roll by hand! There weren't any good sheets at this Home Depot so if this doesn't do well I'll just hit Lowes.
Old 06-19-2001, 05:52 AM

i got a roll of it too... i put it in the bottom openings... i got the black plastic type... looks pretty good... i didnt just stuff it flat in the back... i put it in through the front so it bulges out a little like on the jaguar XKR and XJR series... i gotta work on the edges a little with a heat gun to mold them more...
Old 06-19-2001, 07:07 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

So are you guys going to store farm animals in your cars now?
Old 06-19-2001, 07:16 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
it's probably to keep the hamsters in the engine from escaping
Old 06-19-2001, 07:25 AM

Kev: I am picking up some extrta mesh to install a OCC "ooglie chicken coop" in the trunk of my max. It will employ new egg routing technology as well as a nitrous fueled frying pan. I am hoping to have it complete and pictures up by breakfast time.

For real though...
I used the a sheet of "gutter guard" mesh for mine. It is very rigid and as Phatguy said, it is made of aluminized steel so that it won't rust.

Punkdork: Definitely get some black zip ties....you won't be able to see them against your super black car. If you have trouble finding some let me know and I'll send you some in the mail.

And give the main grill area a try too. I was going to give it a whirl this week sometime, but feel free to be the guinea pig. I don't think that it will affect air flow.
Old 06-19-2001, 07:32 AM
PhatGuy

Da Gutter Guard!

Is this the piece you used? It is pretty strong and looks like it would be easy to paint as well.

Cost $3.77CDN = $2.50US

Measurements 36" x 6"

Will this fit it ok? Also drop some pics of it installed on your car. And if possible what the roll looks like as well?

Old 06-19-2001, 07:36 AM

i did it b4 for the lower part of the bumper
scratched the hell out of it
so Becareful
also

how are you doing the top part of the grill?????

are u puttin it behind it or infront???

i havent really had a chance to look at the stock grill now
but does our nissan emblem come off, or is it attached???

also do u have to take the bumper off to take the grill off or does it pop out??

thank
rino
Old 06-19-2001, 07:57 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by FloMax

Kev: I am picking up some extrta mesh to install a OCC "ooglie chicken coop" in the trunk of my max. It will employ new egg routing technology as well as a nitrous fueled frying pan. I am hoping to have it complete and pictures up by breakfast time.
FloMax is making eggs for everybody!
Old 06-19-2001, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by rino_2kmax
i did it b4 for the lower part of the bumper
scratched the hell out of it
so Becareful
also

how are you doing the top part of the grill?????

are u puttin it behind it or infront???

i havent really had a chance to look at the stock grill now
but does our nissan emblem come off, or is it attached???

also do u have to take the bumper off to take the grill off or does it pop out??

thank
rino
I would be putting it behind the main grill.

I didn't take the bumper off at all. Just undid the clips on the splash guard and reached in behind the grill.

I dunno about the nissan emblem.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:04 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Da Gutter Guard!

Is this the piece you used? It is pretty strong and looks like it would be easy to paint as well.

Cost $3.77CDN = $2.50US

Measurements 36" x 6"

Will this fit it ok? Also drop some pics of it installed on your car. And if possible what the roll looks like as well?
That is exactly what I picked up..

Old 06-19-2001, 10:14 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Da Gutter Guard!

Russ,
Dude you should do some upgrades like an intake with Y-pipe, STS, RSB, and FSTB. Trust me each one is well worth it!

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

That is exactly what I picked up..

Old 06-19-2001, 10:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Da Gutter Guard!

Russ,
Dude you should do some upgrades like an intake with Y-pipe, STS, RSB, and FSTB. Trust me each one is well worth it!

im sure Russ is pretty familiar with those mods plus many others...
Old 06-19-2001, 10:25 AM
RussMaxManiac

Russ,

Oh trust me, I will, just enjoying the car the way it is stock for a while...when I get tired of that, I will get a mod or too. But right now, tight on money paying off student loans, and my trip now. so 2.50 isn't gonna break me

Old 06-19-2001, 11:19 AM

Re: Da Gutter Guard!

Cost $3.77CDN = $2.50US

I just made a trip to Home Depot and--guess what--the gutter guard is only $.98 each! (for Texas locations, BTW). I also saw some heavy duty velcro to attach these behind the lower bumper openings, in case the twist ties don't hold up.

This will look great 'powder-coat' painted to match your car.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:44 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Da Gutter Guard!

I might paint mine the same color as my calipers.... what do u guys think?

Originally posted by maximawanabee

I just made a trip to Home Depot and--guess what--the gutter guard is only $.98 each! (for Texas locations, BTW). I also saw some heavy duty velcro to attach these behind the lower bumper openings, in case the twist ties don't hold up.

This will look great 'powder-coat' painted to match your car.

Old 06-19-2001, 11:54 AM

well i have a black one... my car is grey lustre... but i dunno i think body color looks good... or just keep it metal... whatever u like.... btw what color is ur car?
Old 06-19-2001, 12:05 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Da Gutter Guard!

Click on my profile to see a pic of my car
I'm going to try the "stock" grill and paint another one just to see how it looks

Originally posted by psing23

Click on my profile to see a pic of my car

well i have a black one... my car is grey lustre... but i dunno i think body color looks good... or just keep it metal... whatever u like.... btw what color is ur car?

Old 06-19-2001, 12:05 PM

Phat guy:
Dude that looks just like the gutter guard that I used! I think mine may have been a bit wider, but it is probably just the angle of your picture. I am anxious to see how yours or Punkdork's turns out.

I view the painted grill this way....do it. If you don't like it then you are only out $2.50. At that cost you could have a different colored grill for every day of the week.

Kevin: The eggs will be done soon. Did you want scrambled, fried, or what?

out.
Old 06-19-2001, 12:17 PM

PAINTED

PhatGuy, did you paint your calipers yourself? Did you powdercoat paint it? It looks cool, BTW.