5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K+ 5pd Launching

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 06:06 PM
PhatGuy

There have been a number of threads on this with various methods but I was hoping all 5spd 2K1 owners will share their dead stop lauch techniques in one thread.

I myself personally have been going with a 2200-2400rpm launch with extremely fast clutch slippage. But unless done right I can bog easily. I tried the 4500rpm launch and I lite up the pavement half way through 2nd gear.. that was fun but I only want to do that once. Btw I have stock tires as well. Let me know your 2K+ 5spd off the line effective methods and what tires your rolling on?

Old 06-19-2001, 06:26 PM
a33

i dont know

i really dont know what rpm to pop the clutch ar
i keep trying around 15-25k rpms, but sometimes i just get good launches and sometimes i slip away the whole god damn 1st gear
but i mostly do it around 2-2.5k rpms
Old 06-19-2001, 06:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I kinda had a thread about this earlier in the month, but the biggest issue I had revolved around the fuel cut issue.

Here's the thread...http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....9&goto=newpost

Here is what I have found since:

1) A 5K RPM launch while walking the clutch out smells good...but it can't be good for the clutch. It really keeps the RPMs up, but it is really hard to determine if there is too little/too much slippage. Because of this, I could never launch consistently this way.

2) A 4K RPM launch while walking the clutch quickly (not sidestepping) was easier to get used to. After 4 or 5 tries, I had the speed of the clutch release down almost perfectly. Slow enough to avoid lighting up the tires, but fast enough not to fry my clutch.

3) Any launch below 3500 RPM is based totally on luck in my car. I can't hold the RPMs steady because of the fuel cut. Therefore, every one is different. Sometimes I get great launches by flooring it and sidestepping. Other times I let the tires loose or bog down and get the engine out of the fat part of the torque curve.

So far, I think the 4000 RPM and walking the clutch feels like the fastest launch. The best part is that I can do it consistently when I want. I think that there may be a better way in the 3-3500 range, but I just can't do it consistently.

One last thing, I have the LSD, so I think that helps my launches vs the standard SE. So this may or may not help you at all...maybe someone more technical can answer that??? The best thing to do is try to find a strip that you can run many passes on (even an 1/8 mile) and find out what works best for you and your car.
Old 06-19-2001, 07:49 PM

I prefer taking the granny approach. I keep the revs low, 1500-2000 get everything hooked up and go. This way I am not too bad on the clutch (which I want to keep), I don't light the tires (which I don't want to keep :-) and I am gone. This won't give a great 0-60 time, but you won't bog and you won't wheel hop.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:21 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by bert
I prefer taking the granny approach. I keep the revs low, 1500-2000 get everything hooked up and go. This way I am not too bad on the clutch (which I want to keep), I don't light the tires (which I don't want to keep :-) and I am gone. This won't give a great 0-60 time, but you won't bog and you won't wheel hop.
With this launch style, you'll probably win on the street, BUT at the track you'll look silly in that high 15 second Maxima.

After making about 40 1/4 mile passes, I've noted that you MUST be hitting 3500rpms momentarily after you get rolling. This kind of launch rpm should be the same for the 5th gen as my 4th gen since both cars make the same power till 5800rpms. 5th gens might even need to launch harder since they weigh about 150-200lbs more. I launch near 4000rpms at the track with a quick clutch slip while slowly feeding the car gas. The trick is to stay above 3500rpms. By doing a softer 3000 rpm launch you'll get a slight bog, hop, and spin which will add .1 to .2 to your 60 foot. It only gets worse from there. If you've got the money, then slip the hell out of the clutch at 4500. I wouldn't recommend it though. I've got 68K miles, over 40 passes down the track and lots of hard street launches and my clutch has never slipped. It's all in the way you drive.

Dave
Old 06-19-2001, 09:43 PM
a33

what do you mean by walking the clutch????

how about a clutch slip???
thanks
Old 06-20-2001, 01:38 PM

On the street i do the best launch with a 3250-3750 clutch drop, i peel all the way to redline but it's at about 38mph in first when i hit second so it's perfect. I get a consistent 6.3 to 6.4 0-60 that way. As for the track, i did not know what to do, i was either peeling too much or not enough. My best ET was a pitiful 15.5@90mph. i almost kicked my car. Any rpm that is the best for the track?
Old 06-21-2001, 07:27 AM

PhatGuy--

I just realized that we have pretty much identical cars. Color int/ext rims, all that.Where did you get your AE rims from?
Old 06-21-2001, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maxse01
On the street i do the best launch with a 3250-3750 clutch drop, i peel all the way to redline but it's at about 38mph in first when i hit second so it's perfect. I get a consistent 6.3 to 6.4 0-60 that way. As for the track, i did not know what to do, i was either peeling too much or not enough. My best ET was a pitiful 15.5@90mph. i almost kicked my car. Any rpm that is the best for the track?
I'm not sure how you are timing your 6.3/6.4 but I'd be willing to bet that if you are peeling all the way through first - you aren't even close to that time. No offense intended.

In my experience, when that has happened, I've been much slower than my normal launches. In fact this happened a while back when I raced a Caddy with Northstar. My wife was in the car and actually asked gave me crap for spinning all the way through first gear!! I broke the tires loose and couldn't hook back up without bogging so I just kept going trying to get to second.

Anyway, I'd suggest working from 4k and slowly letting the clutch out while feeing the gas. You let it out just fast enough to avoid spinning. It also eliminates the dreaded wheel hop (for the most part) that comes with clutch drops. Once you do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it. IMO it is clearly the way to launch this car for best times. Use that launch at the track and you will EASILY be under 15 at mid 90s with your mods.
Old 06-21-2001, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by MS 2K1 AE
I kinda had a thread about this earlier in the month, but the biggest issue I had revolved around the fuel cut issue.

Here's the thread...http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....9&goto=newpost

Here is what I have found since:

1) A 5K RPM launch while walking the clutch out smells good...but it can't be good for the clutch. It really keeps the RPMs up, but it is really hard to determine if there is too little/too much slippage. Because of this, I could never launch consistently this way.

2) A 4K RPM launch while walking the clutch quickly (not sidestepping) was easier to get used to. After 4 or 5 tries, I had the speed of the clutch release down almost perfectly. Slow enough to avoid lighting up the tires, but fast enough not to fry my clutch.

3) Any launch below 3500 RPM is based totally on luck in my car. I can't hold the RPMs steady because of the fuel cut. Therefore, every one is different. Sometimes I get great launches by flooring it and sidestepping. Other times I let the tires loose or bog down and get the engine out of the fat part of the torque curve.

So far, I think the 4000 RPM and walking the clutch feels like the fastest launch. The best part is that I can do it consistently when I want. I think that there may be a better way in the 3-3500 range, but I just can't do it consistently.

One last thing, I have the LSD, so I think that helps my launches vs the standard SE. So this may or may not help you at all...maybe someone more technical can answer that??? The best thing to do is try to find a strip that you can run many passes on (even an 1/8 mile) and find out what works best for you and your car.
What is "walking the clutch" & "sidestepping"?

When I race (only when I race) I floor the clutch and rev it to about 4000 rpm (a few times to intimidate the car beside ). Just as it falls short of 3000 rpm I simultaneously pop the clutch and floor the gas pedal. With my GTech meter I have measured 6.88 secs. for 0-60.

Note: when you floor the gas pedal ease up a bit or your sensor, which cuts the fuel once you reach redline, will cut the fuel prematurely.
Old 06-21-2001, 09:28 AM

I'm not sure how you are timing your 6.3/6.4 but I'd be willing to bet that if you are peeling all the way through first - you aren't even close to that time. No offense intended.

When i peel all the way through first it's getting almost as much grip as it is accelerating. In fact my 6.3 was with a g-tech and that time i slipped it from about 3500. It still peeled, but not too much. Thanks for the input. i want to get rid of these $hit stock potenza's as quickly as possible.
Old 06-21-2001, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by bramirez

I believe sidestepping is the same thing as dumping - just taking your foot off the clutch.

There is not much of a distinction between walking and slipping (that I know of). As I understanding it, slipping is slowly letting the clutch out, walking is letting it out a "step" at a time.

I reserve the right to be partially wrong, completely wrong or off my rocker . . . but that is my understanding.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Max_Gator

I reserve the right to be partially wrong, completely wrong or off my rocker . . . but that is my understanding.
Thanks
Old 06-21-2001, 12:35 PM

When i peel all the way through first it's getting almost as much grip as it is accelerating. In fact my 6.3 was with a g-tech and that time i slipped it from about 3500. It still peeled, but not too much. Thanks for the input. i want to get rid of these $hit stock potenza's as quickly as possible.
maxse01, I'm seriously thinking on installing the Stillen Intake and Stillen Y-Pipe. Problem is I enjoy acceleration speed and been told that these two mods will decrease power on the low end. I see you are hitting 0-60 in 6.3s

What were your GTech readings prior to your Stillen mods?

What are the prices on these mods and do they affect the warranty?

Sterling Mist/Frost Leather
All options
Joshua Tree Aluminum Dash Kit
AE Door Sills, **** and Wheels
Piaa Plasma H4 Headlights
Piaa Plasma H3 Fog Lights
Autodynamic F/R Clear lights
Stillen Intake
Stillen Y-Pipe
Old 06-21-2001, 12:40 PM

maxse01, I'm seriously thinking on installing the Stillen Intake and Stillen Y-Pipe. Problem is I enjoy acceleration speed and been told that these two mods will decrease power on the low end. I see you are hitting 0-60 in 6.3s

Don't know where you got that but it is WRONG. The intake and y-pipe will add around 13-15 hp to the wheels and there will be no decrease in low end power.

What you may be thinking of is that some have said that the cone intake will give you less low end power than the CAI. That is open to debate. But there is no debate that an intake (whichever one) and a y-pipe equipped car will be faster than in stock form.
Old 06-21-2001, 03:51 PM

What were your GTech readings prior to your Stillen mods?

What are the prices on these mods and do they affect the warranty?

Sterling Mist/Frost Leather
All options
Joshua Tree Aluminum Dash Kit
AE Door Sills, **** and Wheels
Piaa Plasma H4 Headlights
Piaa Plasma H3 Fog Lights
Autodynamic F/R Clear lights
Stillen Intake
Stillen Y-Pipe

bramirez, stock i got around 6.6. These mods defenitly helped out power through out the rev band. I notice more power at every rpm, especially up high. I highly reccomend both of these mods. good luck
Old 06-21-2001, 06:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

When I race (only when I race) I floor the clutch and rev it to about 4000 rpm (a few times to intimidate the car beside ). Just as it falls short of 3000 rpm I simultaneously pop the clutch and floor the gas pedal. With my GTech meter I have measured 6.88 secs. for 0-60.

Note: when you floor the gas pedal ease up a bit or your sensor, which cuts the fuel once you reach redline, will cut the fuel prematurely.
there are lots of different definitions for these terms...here are my defs

sidestepping - this is probably the most brutal thing you can do to your car - first you rev and hold the engine at 2-4000 RPMs...then, instead of lifting your foot off the clutch, you slide it to the left side and the clutch pedal pops all the way out in a fraction of a second...I keep my heel planted on the floor mat and just rotate my foot to the side. I would not recommend doing this on a regular basis at any RPM. It will cause the engine and tranny to hook up very quickly and almost always produces heavy wheel spin. In addition, this may cause your tranny to make a premature exit from your car!

dumpimg - dumping the clutch is more controlled. you rev and hold the engine at a certain RPM and then release the clutch pedal in the usual manner but at a much faster pace...ie, your foot stays on the clutch pedal through its entire range of motion.

walking - this is when you rev the engine to very high RPMs - 4-5000 - and then slowly release the clutch. This does two things - 1) it keeps the engine in the fat part of the torque curve and 2) it prevents massive wheel spin. this is something I also don't recommend doing on a regular basis as it will make your clutch die a quick death

all of these methods have pros and cons...but walking seems to work best for me. it takes a little practice to get the pedal release timing down...too fast and you get wheel spin, too slow and too much power is wasted on a slipping (and quickly deteriorating) clutch

These are my definitions...hope they help
Old 06-25-2001, 07:42 AM

bramirez, stock i got around 6.6. These mods defenitly helped out power through out the rev band. I notice more power at every rpm, especially up high. I highly reccomend both of these mods. good luck
My best time was 6.88s. I take it you used a GTech for 6.6s. Can you elaborate on your driving to get 6.6s?

What's the milage on your car?