5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got the car back together but got some problems with the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Got the car back together but got some problems with the brakes

So I put the 6th gen rotors and calipers on my 02 I35, as well as ss lines and hawk hps pads. Well Everything went together well. I took it out for a maiden voyage to seat the pads. The problem is that even though I bled the brakes the pedal is spongy. It stops a little worse now than it did before. Also on the dash my VDC OFF light stays illuminated and the SLIP light stays illuminated indicating that the car thinks that the wheels are loosing traction constantly. I know the VDC works off the wheel speed sensors, and I think one of those may have been affected by the brake install but I dont really know how to fix it or what to check other than taking off the wheels, checking to see if the lines look good.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:40 AM

still lookin for help here.. I am supposed to drive this car an hour and a half to NH to get custom SFCs fabicated for it tomorrow and its pretty important that I get the brakes working.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Drug Money

your brake master cylinder might be shot. mine was so i bought a used one off ebay from a 2001
Old 06-18-2006, 10:40 AM
dot dot dot ...

Bleed them again. Check the ABS sensors too.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Bleed them again. Check the ABS sensors too.

sounds like you just have some air in the lines....
Old 06-18-2006, 10:53 AM

you might want to disconnect the battery since you have abs... don't ask me why i just read it out of the nissan service manual.

disconnect the battery, bump the brakes about 30 times. Then start bleeding from furthest to closest to the brake master cylinder...
Old 06-18-2006, 03:11 PM

I figured that because the car was turned on while the wheels, calipers and rotors were off (because I wanted to charge the battery a little after using the car stereo for music for the 4-6 hours at a time) it freaked the ecu out. So when I got the car back on the ground and the lights didnt go out I disconnected the battery. When I reconnected it and started it back up the lights were still on which really dissapointed me... Cause that stuff is really frstrating to me cause it could be many reasons why those lights are on. It could be something with the ecu thats messed up, or I could have damaged one of the wheel speed sensors, or one of the lines going to the wheel speed sensor, and never know it. I wasnt as worried about the spongy brake pedal cause thats pretty common after a brake job, and most of the time its just air in the lines. Anyway today I just wanted to start it up and give it another try and none of the lights came on. I was PUMPED. Not only that but the brake pedal felt less spongy (still spongier than when I had the old brakes on there but markably better than the day before) I brought it out on the highway with my dad and we did a few panic stops from 85. The brakes although providing enough force to stop the tires from rotating and kicking the ABS on still just had too soft of a pedal.

After those panic stops we had a burning smell, which I think was just the grease and dirt left on the rotors from my hands burning off the rotors, I dont think it was the pads over heating or anything like that, which may be part of the reason its braking a little better now, because it has a cleaner surface to grab onto.

I gotta say even with a spongy pedal, the car stopped pretty hard, which also has a huge part to do with the new shocks/springs I have which really limit weight transfer. When my dad did one hard panick stop from 85 to 20 he got dizzy and had to pull over for a second to collect himself. Which I guess is a pretty good sign, but I still think the pedal feel is quite weak. I just hope bleeding them again will fix it cause I dont have enough brake fluid to bleed them a third time
Old 06-18-2006, 03:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

If you don't have enough fluid get some more and get the air out. My pedal feel is amazing after the swap, so it's definately not normal.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
If you don't have enough fluid get some more and get the air out. My pedal feel is amazing after the swap, so it's definately not normal.

Well its that ATE high performance blue stuff from the GD and I was told specifically not to mix it with other brake fluid. I have another whole can of the stuff so its not like I am gonna run out but if I were to mess up the brake bleeding again I might not have enough fluid to get it done a third time.

BTW can you bleed the brakes with the car on? Sorry if thats a stupid question but it seems like you'de be able to create more brae pressure
Old 06-19-2006, 06:13 AM

did u let the brake fluid reservour empty while bleeding? if so that may be ur problem. make sure not to let it go empty and re bleed, id recomend using speed bleeders.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:18 AM

Don't bleed the brakes with the car on. By the manual you are supposed to disable the ABS actuator even with the car off. If that ABS actuator were to kick on while bleeding for any reason, the fluid comes out at a hard enough pressure to inject right through your skin.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:54 AM
dot dot dot ...

I do mine with my car on every time.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by super6
did u let the brake fluid reservour empty while bleeding? if so that may be ur problem. make sure not to let it go empty and re bleed, id recomend using speed bleeders.
Naww we made sure that it was topped off. i had a third guy there just watching the fluid reservior. The fluid never fell below the low line.