5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Modding Woe’s, Research & General Feedback…

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Modding Woe’s, Research & General Feedback…

Well, as most of you know I am new around here and have embarked on a few mods. I don’t have many posts, because I have not needed to post much (*yes, the search feature is VERY useful and thus far, I have found answers to ALL of my questions or concerns without burdening everyone with the dreaded ‘duplicate thread on a topic that has been beaten to death countless times previously’, or in a sticky).
Here’s what I’ve got so far:

SUSPENSION
I installed the H-Tech’s over the weekend and am very satisfied with the drop, but not real happy with the performance. My plan currently is to roll with the H-Techs until I can install coil-overs.

Suspension Conclusions: Will run H-Techs until I purchase coilovers, which are a ways down the list….

INTAKE
I picked up a good second hand PR CAI, but have not yet installed it (*still trying to get a copy of the fender-well cut overlay template). I am a little reluctant to install the PR CAI for a number of reasons:
  1. Without either a water bypass valve, or filter cover that prevents H20 from infiltrating the engine. This is my daily driver, and a devastating mistake would be very costly, even though many have run a straight PR CAI without water issues…
  2. MAF Sensor – Since I have an 02 which from what I’ve read have a track record of somewhat problematic MAF’s (*especially with aftermarket intakes), I am a little leery to go with an aftermarket intake and risk messing up my MAF. I am still researching this thought in hopes of a good combination…
  3. Variations of the PR – I have read about a few variations of the PR setup that some are using, such as Irish’s most recent mod (http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=place+racing) using the stock OEM mid-pipe and PR down-pipe/fender-well filter combo. This actually appeals to me the most based on feedback, and will probably be the route that I go once my research is concluded.
  4. Filter – I am probably going to buy a K&N filter (*have had the best luck with K&N on other [performance] vehicles) and chuck the Monster Flow filter.
  5. GAB – The last time I changed the oil, I noticed that I was in need of a new air filter. Last night I constructed a GAB with the new filter, and will ride around with that for a while to gauge results. It’s been hotter than all get out here in the Midwest lately, with temps in the high 90’s. I’ve noticed (as with other vehicles) that performance is much greater in the early morning pulling the cool morning air. Hot, stagnated afternoons are the worst!

Intake Conclusions: Will see how the GAB goes while researching the perfect PR setup…

AESTHETICS
Tail Lights: I really despise the stock rear tails on the 5.5 gen’s. I like the black/red look of the 5 gen SE’s. In a feeble attempt to correct this, I bought some Laminex smoke film and tried to overlay the rear tails. I’m obviously inexperienced when it comes to working with laminate films, as it looks like an amateur did it (*have creases along the curved outside of the lens, even after trying to mold the film perfectly with heat (hairdryer) – will try to post pics.

Tail Conclusions: I’ve decided to just go with the 5 gen SE black tails and wiring harness.

Side markers – I used some of the extra Laminex to cover the front and rear side markers. It looks good (originally I was planning on swapping to clears), but the driver front marker is a little wrinkled. I might re-try coating this lens if I have enough laminex. No conclusions on this as of yet – low priority…

Fog Lights: I went ahead and upgraded my fog light bulbs with the PIAA Super Plasma’s that Housecor recommends. I’m gonna run these until they burn out, at which time I will probably go with a HID fog kit (and hope that I don’t get a cracked fog light lens!).

Headlights: Plan on doing the Umnitza DDE (Angel Eyes) as defeatable daytime running lights mod here in the near future….

Other: Still researching and milling over other aesthetic mods, but would like to upgrade my wheels (to MRR GT-1’s, probably 18” or 19”) and tires, but again, am still researching this….

So that’s the scoop – I’ll keep everyone informed on the progress….
Thanks,

~Josh
Old 06-21-2006, 06:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

First off, thank you for your military service. Second, have you thought of some other performance mods?
Old 06-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NEED2BFAST
First off, thank you for your military service. Second, have you thought of some other performance mods?
Thank you for the kind words of gratitude – service in support of our great nation was nothing short of an honor (*my wife and I both are former Marines), and I have the same gratitude for those brave men and women who now serve.

As for performance mods, I’ve been on the fence on that matter for some time now. I’m making the shift (no pun intended) to the Maxima from an 02 Mustang GT that had quite a few performance mods. (I’ve/we’ve owned nothing but Nissan’s with the exception of my last car, the Mustang FYI.) From the short time that I have been enveloped with Maxima modding, I’ve learned that it is a slightly different animal that that of what I am used to (Stangs). I have a short list of performance mods compiled thus far that include intake and exhaust, but am more or less still exploring what performance mods are out there for our cars.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:56 AM

What the hell does GAB mean??
MAF im guess is mass air flow
Old 06-21-2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by MWilds 01 20th
What the hell does GAB mean??
MAF im guess is mass air flow
Ghetto Air Box
Old 06-21-2006, 01:01 PM

Just my personal opinion here----clearly I'm not the majority.

I have a stock 01.

It seems, that you either have a really good maxima (reliability wise) or a problematic one. From what I have seen---the majority of people here who post about problems are owners who decide to install performance mods. I get the feeling that this engine is kinda cranky with any type of mod and then bad things happen. The power of the V6 is fine. If you buy a maxima, you arent concerned with off the line power or 1/4 times. Still not sure why people invest thousands of dollars in their maxima to gain 1.5 secs in a 1/4 time. But hey.. this is a hobby.. you can do whatever keeps you happy. Its all good.

Just my .02
Old 06-21-2006, 08:29 PM

I installed my Injen CAI about 4 weeks ago. This is the first mod that I ever did and I am very new to modding cars, so I wasn't a expert when installing my intake. As long as you are careful, your MAF will be fine.

Here is a pic of what my Injen CAI looks like.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Drug Money

lol. you're not doing the RIGHT thing the first time.

you get the "cheaper" parts before you get your "ideal" parts.

you should just do it right the first time.