5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Looking at some 00-01 Maximas, need some info please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 10:54 PM

Looking at some 00-01 Maximas, need some info please!

Hey. My names John and im shopping for a new ride and I am down to Accords and Maximas. I honestly like the looks of the Maxima more, but have yet to test drive any, though I plan to this saturday. Im checking out a couple 00-01s in white and another color (not sure what it is) and I really like them. However I had a few questions if some of you dont mind trying to answer them for me.

First I wanted to know if getting one with 90-100k miles is ok, and if so, what should I watch out for. How are the auto trannies in them? How long do they last and how often should they be serviced? Are there any well known issues with the 00 and 01 models? In the 90-100k range is their any maitnence that should be done that I should ask about? What kind of gas milage should I except with the auto v6 driving 80%+ highway and the rest city on a full tank? Is there anything else I should be warned about?

I also plan to try to get an extended warranty, do you guys feel thats a smart thing to do? With high miles I feel like it is, because I already went this route with my Durango and skipped the warranty because I couldnt afford it and boy could I have used it.

Anyways, thanks to anyone who can offer me any advice. All the rides im looking at are between 60 and 100k miles in the 00-01 years and range in price from 9900 to 13k. I need to find something 11k or less but prices can always be lowered :P

Later
John
Old 06-21-2006, 10:58 PM
THIS IS...

Go for an 01 with a 5 speed. The Anniversary Edition is probably the best out of them all. However they are pretty hard to find. 90-100K miles is ok, make sure the coils are ok and the tranny is still shiftin good. I would watch the F/S forum and look for an Org. member thats selling their 5th gen. Most of the people on this board take really good car of their cars...
Old 06-21-2006, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess I could ask my wife to teach me how to drive a manual with her moms civic, but again, im not much into it honestly and I dont know why. Im also stuck going through a dealership as I owe on my Durango still, and quite a bit too. Thats whats limiting me to 11k and under becuase im going to lose about 2300-2500 when I trade the Durango in, but I have no other choice.

Thanks
John
Old 06-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is not any real problems with the AT's, not like the 3rd Gen. Just want one that has been serviced regularly. The coils and alternators are weak areas, other than that they are great cars. The warrenty is a crap shoot, I did get one on mine as it hadn't been driven much in the last 2 1/2 yrs.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:03 AM

If you can't find an Anniversary Edition, just get a SE. The OEM tires for the 17" wheels, Bridgestone RE92s, suck. Either get new wheels or shop around for better tires.
on the alternator cuz I'm on my third one. Good hunting!
Old 06-22-2006, 03:57 PM

Cool, glad to get some replies. I was down to 00-01 Accords and Maximas but I like the looks of the Maximas better plus ive heard they have more interior room which is something I need being 6'3 1/2" 250lbs. Originally I was looking at a 00 Mustang GT Covertible but decided against it for space/gas reasons. Im just waiting for my wife to get back from vacation on the 1st and then its time to go shop for one. Ill keep you guys posted.

Thanks
John
Old 06-22-2006, 05:31 PM

In general Nissan make great engines that last a long time even if the car has high mileage. I know people who have 97 maxima's and they are still running great and haven't had any problems with there engine. They just went in for the normal oil changes. Yes the Maxima's do have more interior room which is nice because everybody feels comfortable, not squashed.

Have fun on vacation and good luck on finding a car.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:52 PM

I have a 2000 with 88k on it. Im about to take it in for the 90k service..Make sure when you get the car , they have either done the 60 or 90k service to it. This should be pretty standard as the dealership should be able to provide you the details. I agree with alpine stars, make sure the coils are ok, I just had mine replaced covered under tha extended warranty. For me it was definetly worth it. Ie had the coils replaced and something with the tranny soilnoid. I probably paid 1k for the warranty and the work has totaled over 3k easy. I would suggest it if your bankroll fits. Good luck they really are a great car. I love mine and plan on keeping it till i run the thing into the ground..
Old 06-22-2006, 07:06 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

I agree check for members selling their rides...you can get an awesome price on them this way, plus usually some mods to boot.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

drive test an 01 SE, if you can find one clean.. go for it, best engine ever and ine... no problems so far.104k and going strong
Old 06-22-2006, 09:16 PM

Well I havent found any 01 SE Maximas unless they are private party which I cannot deal with.

MAX2000SE:
How many years is your extended warranty good for? Im about 80% positive I will get one even if its only a year or two, but id prefer a 3 year one. The one they wanted for 3 years for my Durango when I bought it was like 1800 which was not even considerable, but ive learned my lesson and its a must now. I just hope its cheaper for the Maxima. Ill also be sure to ask about the coils conditions and if the 90k service has been done and that I want proof of it or they can do it again :P

Rides im going to test drive and considering(hope links are ok):
2001 GXE
2000 GLE

Let me know what you guys think. I can only get the 2000 if I can get them down around 10,500. Not sure if that will happen but you never know. The Wife comes home in 9 days and then we will see whats up.

Thanks
John
Old 06-22-2006, 09:32 PM

I just gave my dad my 2k1 SE for father's day, traded it up for a new G35C! I bought the max new and loved every minute of 126000 miles I put on it. It's still in great condition. The ORG is a great place and wish I could find a place like this for the G35. I would say go with the Max - test drive a lot of them and get to know how the car drives as you may find some that need work. My max was (still is) a great car and only left me stranded once at 126K in need of an alternator. Other than that the only things to watch are the coils, Mass Air Flow Sensor, and Rotors (replaced three sets since they warp easily). Good luck and if you get the max you have found a great home!

Robert
Old 06-22-2006, 09:46 PM

Robert,

Thanks man, I think this would be a awesome site if I bring a Max home. The sensors nothing really, had to change the TPS and Rear Speed Sensors on my Durango, the only bad part is the cost of them lol. The coils sound like something I should really pay attention to though. As far as the rotors go, would upgrading to some brembos (if they make them for the max and arent too expensive) or some other aftermarket ones worth it in the long run? Or does it really not matter? My first mods planned will be intake, stereo, tint, and rims within the first year hopefully. Ill start with a custom intake that ill have my cousin make me (hes done tons of them and its free) and work on the other 3 as the moneys available. Sound like a good plan?

Thanks
John
Old 06-22-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by BigJohn82
Well I havent found any 01 SE Maximas unless they are private party which I cannot deal with.

MAX2000SE:
How many years is your extended warranty good for? Im about 80% positive I will get one even if its only a year or two, but id prefer a 3 year one. The one they wanted for 3 years for my Durango when I bought it was like 1800 which was not even considerable, but ive learned my lesson and its a must now. I just hope its cheaper for the Maxima. Ill also be sure to ask about the coils conditions and if the 90k service has been done and that I want proof of it or they can do it again :P

Rides im going to test drive and considering(hope links are ok):
2001 GXE
2000 GLE

Let me know what you guys think. I can only get the 2000 if I can get them down around 10,500. Not sure if that will happen but you never know. The Wife comes home in 9 days and then we will see whats up.

Thanks
John
Definitely go with the Max. The V6 is truely a work of art, reliable, powerful, economical, not many other V6s can say that. Personally, I like the Accord's exterior, but the interior is no contest, Max wins by a mile.

Between the 2 Maxes you picked, I would go with the 00 GLE, auto climate control makes it so much more elegant. The one thing 01s have that 00s don't is steering wheel audio controls, I miss that feature so much, given that, I still prefer my 00 I30t over my 01 Max.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Sports Button FTW

at 90k miles you are fine. For an 00 or 01, that type of mileage isnt too bad. Also watch out for failing MAF's (mass air flow), very common on these area years, moreso on 00's and 02-03's. Mine failed at about 87k miles.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:15 AM

I have 120k on my 2000 GLE, and I really still like it... love is a strong word. I just got a promotion and I am thinking of getting a newer car, but I am not sure how to justify it. I think I may just get my dad's shop to paint my car, retint to darker and lower my present ride. It's the 5th Max in my family stemming from an 85 SE Max til the newest ride an 05 SE. They are great cars. Drive it for a good while before you trade it. Listen to the engine and see if it's sounding funny. Look around ALOT for the right car. THe more of them that you drive, the better that you will feel them out once you find the one that you may keep. See if you can get the maintenance records. Also, you can negotitate extended warranties, so work that up also. Call dealers b4 the wifey returns and see if you can get estimates on ext warranties. The difference will shock you. You could also work into the deal for them to swap out the coils for peace of mind. AND by all means take pics of the new Max once you get it so you can get props from us.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:30 AM

Well., I just bought a 2001 SE 5Spd... Private Seller. I wanted something with under 60k and in perfect condition and had to pay for that. The one I bought is fully loaded (NOT ONE MISSING FEATURE) and it was 11500 with only 50k miles. I could have found a cheaper one with more miles but this one was perfect INSIDE AND OUT... Only things I'm doing to it is brakes, it had been parked for like 4 months and a couple of spot welds and flex pipe on the exhaust.

Again, I found many cheaper so they are out there. Just have to find them, I drove 127 miles to get mine. It was worth it. Have loved every minute since I got it. I had an accord 5spd two cars back and it does not compare to the power, comfort and flexibility of these awesome cars. Have been monitoring the mileage on my first tank too and so far 225 miles and just hit the middle mark on the fuel gauge. My last car an 01 Pathfinder would have been on reserve by now.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:45 PM

I found 2 more today, one I really like. Im going to go check them out and test drive them hopefully tomorrow. The one I really like is a White 2002 Maxima SE with what looks to be all the options with 98k miles for 10,999. This is really good because in a weeks time it could be mine if I like it because the price is right and it has everything I want. Anything different with the 02s vs the 00-01s? Just wanted to check on that so I know.

Thanks
John
Old 06-23-2006, 11:54 PM

The engine. I'd go for the 02. I have a 00 and I wouldn't mind an extra 30hp or 30tq,thats just me. Here is a link I use to compare cars. http://www.autotrader.com/research/c...p?restype=used Google works too.
Click on the tech specs link on the left after you pick the two. Dont know what problems the 5.5 gens have, as I dont own one.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:40 AM

A lot of changes from 5th to 5.5th gen, the most noticeable ones are: 3.5L V6, xenon headlights, better looking front bumper and grille, fogs, chrome tail lights for the SE, gauge cluster, auto tran shifter, stereo head unit, steering wheel, driver's airbag, seats, rims, and some other stuff I can't remember right now.

Go with the 2002, that's a good price.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:40 AM

Im going to go look at it this afternoon. If I like what I see and its still there a week from tomorrow, I think ill make her mine! Ill let ya guys know what I think later tonight after checking it out.

Thanks
John
Old 06-24-2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by alpinestars
Go for an 01 with a 5 speed. The Anniversary Edition is probably the best out of them all. However they are pretty hard to find. 90-100K miles is ok, make sure the coils are ok and the tranny is still shiftin good. I would watch the F/S forum and look for an Org. member thats selling their 5th gen. Most of the people on this board take really good car of their cars...
Good call I have an 01 AE for sale ...5spd
Old 06-25-2006, 11:34 AM

Again, I cannot buy from a private party as I have to trade in my Durango thats not paid for, otherwise id have so many other options.

The 02 was sold 2 days ago, so I checked out the 00 GLE with 106k and its sweet! The guy I spoke with told me all about it and I told him whats going on and he seemed like thered be no problems at all. I then took my cousin and dad back to check it out last night and my cousin who does mechanics and body work looked over the outside and found several spots where its been repainted and a spot thats cracked right below the front of the hood on the top left side of the grill, so we are gonna go back today and talk to them about all that ****. The good thing is it was bought by a woman brand new from the same dealer, was always serviced there, and just had the 105k mile maitanence done so he said it would be ok til 210k now, but you guys would be able to confirm that. Ill keep you updated.

Thanks
John