5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Official Max 2k2 pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 08:42 PM

I don't know if everyone saw this over on the general discussions forum, but here are the maxima 2002 pics

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/pro.../frameset.html

And yes, it does have altezza lights.
http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/pro.../07_maxima.jpg

There are nice pics of the nav system, new radio, and new gauges
http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/pro...ma/photos.html
Old 06-21-2001, 09:31 PM

Nice Find!

First, I am getting the tail lights! Who wants my old SE's?

Second, I hope those headlights fit!

Third, the new gauges are GROSS!!! How come only some gauges are the titanium tint and the others are black. Looks like a GXE/SE half breed!
Old 06-21-2001, 09:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the pics Alex!

Mark
Old 06-21-2001, 09:37 PM

those taillighst are HOT!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by xtantmaxima
Nice Find!

Third, the new gauges are GROSS!!! How come only some gauges are the titanium tint and the others are black. Looks like a GXE/SE half breed!
Those do not look like Altezza taillights . I want those.

Roger
Old 06-21-2001, 09:41 PM

i wll buy your SEs

Nice Find!

The SE taillights look good on a black car. i doubt those altezza lookalike ones will.

oh yeah, those headlights better fit, i will make them fit, the infiniti i30 didnt fit, these better fit.
Roger
Old 06-21-2001, 09:46 PM

One more find. The SE wheels are pretty much the same, just minus the center cap, looks good to me, nothing extra to lose/stolen.
Old 06-21-2001, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Alexis
I don't know if everyone saw this over on the general discussions forum, but here are the maxima 2002 pics

Thanx a lot for the link! Great to finally see it!! But,
I am not thrilled with what I see in the new look though. The headlights are cool, since they are HID, but everything else does not seem to be for the better, on the outside especially. Even the navigation system looks a bit weird, just does not look classy, but 3D birdview looks tight. Maybe seeing the whole car in person would change some of my feelings. Also a nice Sterling or Majestic Blue with Black leather would make it look more appealing...

If the price is not better then the TL Type-S, I would not go for it, unless the performance is much better. But that is unlikely...
Old 06-21-2001, 10:20 PM

doesnt look too slick to me.
Old 06-21-2001, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the info!

I kind of like those new tail-lights. They look like they are in the same shape as the current ones, so a swap for current owners might be possible. I won't be changing mine out, however, since I like my SE black tail-lights.

That instrument cluster is not too hot looking. Looks too plain, but I do dig the extra LCD that gives out extra info.

Those headlights are slick. Gives the car an added touch of class.

The new front fascia isn't too hot to me. That air intake area underneath the grille is so big! And the grille itself is no winner, IMHO.

But as always, the performance specs are nice. I wish my SE has all the base items that the 2002 SE will have. Oh well, I still love my car.

Go, Nissan!
Old 06-21-2001, 10:58 PM

The huge unnecessary Nissan emblem on the front is an eyesore in my opinion..
Old 06-21-2001, 11:32 PM

I Agree

Originally posted by Jeff2k1GLE
The huge unnecessary Nissan emblem on the front is an eyesore in my opinion..
I agree...I'm not thrilled with the nose. I also think those taillight's are ugly too...they may seem better in person.

I do like those side-sill extensions, and the headlights. But those probably cost big $$$ to replace. (You think?)

That picture of the 6-speed broke me...driving this lame *** auto. The car will be unbelievable to drive. Assuming the price doesn't go way up. (Although, I hope it does...just to make me feel better) The new Max will be the most car for the money...bar none. IMHO.
Old 06-21-2001, 11:38 PM

What's up with the front end of the car? Looks all out of place. And that is one nasty grille!!!
Old 06-22-2001, 12:43 AM
bylss

i'm just impressed w/ the new power the new maxima grunts out...260!! that's the same power the '96 Impala SS (my most wanted car) has!

the HID lights are rad. yea...hope they can fit!

the car's rear should be totally be redone. it's still looks ugly...even w/ the new tail lights!

too add to the HID's, a nice chrome grille will look nice just to add more touch of class.

Old 06-22-2001, 12:45 AM

i'm getting those taillights...my se tails are also for sale

i don't mind the 2 center guages...i love the 6spd though
Old 06-22-2001, 02:09 AM

I do like those new tails, and the new headlights, but I kinda like the all red ones w/the clear half-moon that I have now. I was trying to keep the car as white as possible, with the clear markers and all. I'm not sure how those tails would look on all colors. However, I really don't like the new front fascia. Those two HUGE inlets at the bottom look like it's going to swallow me alive, and the new SE 6-spokes look like they took the current GLE/SE rims and just added a spoke. The 2K and 2K1 17-inch rims are definitely more defined and way more sporty IMO. Also, the radio w/the in dash 6 CD changer got kind of restyled and the buttons are smaller for the radio presets. I like the bigger buttons cause they're easier to hit when driving, and the ATC lost its ambient button. Could the ambient temp now be on the rear-view mirror? Well, at least it has one thing going for it....the performance specs. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-22-2001, 05:33 AM

Some random performance thoughts:

Hopefully, they didn't just "add" a sixth gear that equates to an additional overdrive. I don't think so because they say it has a "close ratio" manual.

Notice that it has equal length tuned exhaust from the Skyline. I'll bet that is the difference between the Altima and the Maxima hp PERIOD. Now that means two things - there might not be much to be gained from a ypipe type modification to the maxima and there's alot to be gained on the Altima.

Hopefully, Nissan didn't make the mistake of making the Maxima's performance specs reachable by the Altima with a a modded exhaust. That would make me really reluctant to upgrade to the 2k2 max.

I think the SE 6spd COULD really fly - it better if Nissan wants to sell them given the competition out there. At the very least, it is certain to be faster than a modded 2k 5spd (intake/y/udp = max 245-250). But if I'm going to trade up, it better be much faster because the cosmetics/non-performance features don't do much of anything for me.
Old 06-22-2001, 05:33 AM

I don't know guys, Looking at the changes, I don't think its a big change. For the price I think the Altima may still bring in more sales over the Maxima b/c its a whole new product all togather, not small changes. But you can't blame nissan, Maxima has been through a few changes in the past 2 years. so they can't afford to change everything all at once. Lets see what next year or 2 years have to offer.
Old 06-22-2001, 05:51 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: i wll buy your SEs

DaveB already has a price list out for parts on the 2002. He said those headlights are 1600-1800 bucks and include a computer module for some reason. Forget that, not gonna spend that much money on headlights.

Originally posted by radpp16

The SE taillights look good on a black car. i doubt those altezza lookalike ones will.

oh yeah, those headlights better fit, i will make them fit, the infiniti i30 didnt fit, these better fit.
Roger

Old 06-22-2001, 05:52 AM
RussMaxManiac

They are actually the 16" wheels pushed up to 17s now..

One more find. The SE wheels are pretty much the same, just minus the center cap, looks good to me, nothing extra to lose/stolen.

Old 06-22-2001, 06:29 AM

- Glad that they fixed the tail lights on the non-SE models.

- Don't like the new front end, needs a chin like my 20 AE.

- New gauges look nice.

- I wonder what the price increase will be ?????
Old 06-22-2001, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity
Could the ambient temp now be on the rear-view mirror? Well, at least it has one thing going for it....the performance specs. Just my 2 cents.
I noticed that the temp button is by the radio controls on the steering wheel
Old 06-22-2001, 07:45 AM

I was leaning towards the Altima until I saw further specs and pictures. Very nice. I like all the updates, minus the oversize Nissan symbol on the grille. Still waiting to see the price...

The extra 20 HP comes from variable valve timing.
Old 06-22-2001, 07:52 AM

.mental note.
Things I need to keep from my 2000 when I get a 2002:
Headlamps, the 2002 is pretty flipping nasty looking
Taillamps, the 2002 is even worse then nasty looking
Front bumper, 2002 is too frontier-esque
./mental note.

so, where's the price?!
Old 06-22-2001, 08:02 AM

Torque is the same as the Altima's 3.5 engine

Wonder what the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times will be?

To make it worth while buying it has to do better then the Altima (0-60 in 6.4s)

It would be great if it could do it in 5.7s
(at least it should if Nissan wants to be competitive with the Subaru Impreza's 0-60 in 5.6s -Motor Trend-)
Old 06-22-2001, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
I was leaning towards the Altima until I saw further specs and pictures. Very nice. I like all the updates, minus the oversize Nissan symbol on the grille. Still waiting to see the price...

The extra 20 HP comes from variable valve timing.
I haven't seen that anywhere - where did you find that out. I would think with vvt, we'd see higher torque numbers.
Old 06-22-2001, 08:16 AM

I'm going to do some homework on this. I think I misread the Freshalloy.com engine catalog. http://www.freshalloy.com/cars/nissa...n_engines.html
It seems variable valve timing is on the Altima engine as well.

From Nissannews.com about the Altima 3.5 V6:

"A V6 engine will be offered for the first time in the 2002 Altima. The 3.5 SE model features a 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 producing 240 horsepower and 246 lb-ft of torque. The 3.5-liter V6 is part of the famed VQ engine series, which has been recognized as one of the “Ten Best Engines” by Ward’s Auto World magazine for seven consecutive years.
Enhancements made to the V6 include continuously variable valve timing control (CVTC), a silent chain for quieter operation, structural reinforcements and an electronically controlled ‘drive-by-wire’ throttle system.
As with all VQ-series engines, the 3.5-liter features a modular engine design, microfinished crank journals and cam lobes, molybdenum coated lightweight pistons and electronically controlled throttle. Dual mufflers ensure a combination of powerful sound and quietness when cruising or accelerating. Using technology found on the ground-breaking Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) Sentra CA (Clean Air) sedan, the 3.5-liter V6 qualifies Altima for Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) status. "

Maybe the 20 HP is of the marketing variety??

Originally posted by Max_Gator

I haven't seen that anywhere - where did you find that out. I would think with vvt, we'd see higher torque numbers.
Old 06-22-2001, 08:54 AM

I don't think DaveB has prices on them yet, I think he just has the parts list for the 2002.
Old 06-22-2001, 09:00 AM

Did anybody notice?

"A voice guidance system provides directions throughout the driver’s journey, lowering radio volume when directions are spoken."

Neat!
Old 06-22-2001, 09:35 AM

Another thing is that the gas mileage numbers are the same for both the stick and auto when compared to the 2k1 model. More power, more torque, bigger displacement without any efficiency costs? Sounds pretty good.

One more thing, the 2k max auto is rated 20/28, but the 2k1 is 19/26 is that because all cars are now CA emissions?
Old 06-22-2001, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Alexis

And You Guys were worried :-)

I think I'll stick with my AE, and upgrade in the near future. The only thing that looks impressive is the engine, and maybe the NAV. System. I feel a little more relieved, Thanks Alexis.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
I'm going to do some homework on this. I think I misread the Freshalloy.com engine catalog. http://www.freshalloy.com/cars/nissa...n_engines.html
It seems variable valve timing is on the Altima engine as well.

From Nissannews.com about the Altima 3.5 V6:

"A V6 engine will be offered for the first time in the 2002 Altima. The 3.5 SE model features a 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 producing 240 horsepower and 246 lb-ft of torque. The 3.5-liter V6 is part of the famed VQ engine series, which has been recognized as one of the “Ten Best Engines” by Ward’s Auto World magazine for seven consecutive years.
Enhancements made to the V6 include continuously variable valve timing control (CVTC), a silent chain for quieter operation, structural reinforcements and an electronically controlled ‘drive-by-wire’ throttle system.
As with all VQ-series engines, the 3.5-liter features a modular engine design, microfinished crank journals and cam lobes, molybdenum coated lightweight pistons and electronically controlled throttle. Dual mufflers ensure a combination of powerful sound and quietness when cruising or accelerating. Using technology found on the ground-breaking Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) Sentra CA (Clean Air) sedan, the 3.5-liter V6 qualifies Altima for Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) status. "

Maybe the 20 HP is of the marketing variety??

The only thing that makes sense to me is the equal length tuned exhaust a la Skyline. Or, it could also be that they use the variable intake runners on the maxima but not the Altima. Sort of like the difference between the 4th gen and 5th gen 3.0.

Interesting though, I noticed in the pictures of the Altima that it has dual exhaust - but they don't show a full rear of the Maxima and also reference the Skyline type "muffler" (singular). So, maybe it is the exhaust system.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:45 AM

hard to belive when the picture shows the same design 6 spoke only missing the center cap
http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/pro.../01_maxima.jpg
Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
They are actually the 16" wheels pushed up to 17s now..

Old 06-22-2001, 10:58 AM

New Altima and Sentra pics

The same website shows new pictures of the 2k2 Altima and Sentra SE-R

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/pro...er/photos.html
Old 06-22-2001, 11:11 AM

I think it's the intake runners. If you look at the Altima it's the old 4th gen metal style. In the 2002 press release they say, "resin intake collector"

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/pro...ima/index.html

Originally posted by Max_Gator

The only thing that makes sense to me is the equal length tuned exhaust a la Skyline. Or, it could also be that they use the variable intake runners on the maxima but not the Altima. Sort of like the difference between the 4th gen and 5th gen 3.0.

Interesting though, I noticed in the pictures of the Altima that it has dual exhaust - but they don't show a full rear of the Maxima and also reference the Skyline type "muffler" (singular). So, maybe it is the exhaust system.
Old 06-22-2001, 02:01 PM

Re: New Altima and Sentra pics

Originally posted by madmax2k1
The same website shows new pictures of the 2k2 Altima and Sentra SE-R

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/pro...er/photos.html
hehhehe
They took the altima to leguna seca...

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/pro.../05_altima.jpg
Old 06-22-2001, 02:14 PM

another thing also $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 06-22-2001, 02:15 PM

Re: Re: New Altima and Sentra pics

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2

hehhehe
They took the altima to leguna seca...

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/pro.../05_altima.jpg
looks like a pretty fun course.
Old 06-22-2001, 07:38 PM

Okay... my thoughts.

1. That Nissan emblem is an eyesore. Way too big! The current Max front is much cleaner.

2. The new tails will look good on the lighter cars. I'll keep my SE tails for my car. My car is Super Black.

3. The Nav... well, I'll look into buying that console cut out and maybe putting in a custom Nav. But that's a stretch.

4. I like that shifter on the manual. I'll have to find one like it.

5. I don't love my SE any less!!

6. I'm pleased that it's not a dramatic change over the current SE!!!
Old 06-22-2001, 07:43 PM

The front Badge on the 2k2 is HORRIBLE. Why is it so BIG? If it weren't so BIG it wouldn't look so UGLY. Oh well, I'll just rip that badge off the car.
Old 06-22-2001, 07:46 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

look ma! i fixed the 2002 maxima!

Quick Reply: Official Max 2k2 pics