5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

6 Speed question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 04:36 PM

Re: Thoughts on the 6-spd for 2k2

Man, I think it's funny that C&D only got 140 mph for the top speed. I've personally gone 148.
And just for your personal info, redline in 5th gear is at 156 mph.
I have done my own Unique testing on that.

Originally posted by stevepake
With the new 3.5L coming to the Max, I think that in order to maintain fuel economy Nissan is going to go the way of the Acura's and make both top gears overdrive gears. Power comes at the expense of mileage, and I highly suspect that the new 6spd will be to compenstate for the mileage losses of the bigger engine rather than for necessarily increasing performance.

BTW, as far as top-speed in the 5th Gen 5spd's, Max speed will be attained in 5th gear, not 4th:

Cut and Paste from C&D HERE

Gear Ratio Mph/1000 rpm Max. test speed
IV 0.95 20.0 132 mph (6600 rpm)
V 0.80 23.8 140 mph (5900 rpm) (drag limited)

So after you hit redline in 4th gear you can still squeeze a couple more MPH's out of 5th gear. Your 5th Gear is relatively pretty short - as it turns 2500rpm at 60mph.

For comparison, the Accord V6's top gear (auto only) is geared VERY economically - we only turn just a tad over 2000rpm at 60mph in 4th:

Gear Ratio Mph/1000 rpm Max. test speed
III 0.95 18.5 116 mph (6300rpm)
IV 0.61 28.8 132 mph (4600rpm) (drag limited)

If we could pull redline in 4th gear we'd be hauling some serious a$$ at 182mph, but there's no way in HELL that an Accord V6 is gonna pull that...hahaha! 3rd Gear is pretty short though and it'll take us to 116mph, but we can still get some more speed out of 4th but just not pull redline.

So the Max 5-spd is geared more for performance. I suspect the 6-spd will have a more "Accord-V6ish" style ultra-tall overdrive gear to help maintain or improve highway mileage
Old 06-25-2001, 04:37 PM

The question is!

Originally posted by merchgod

That's funny. In my 99 Mustang GT 5-speed I can hit 69 mph in before shifting into 3rd!
How long does it take you to get there!?
Old 06-25-2001, 05:20 PM

Re: Re: Thoughts on the 6-spd for 2k2

Originally posted by blackmax2000
Man, I think it's funny that C&D only got 140 mph for the top speed. I've personally gone 148.
And just for your personal info, redline in 5th gear is at 156 mph. I have done my own Unique testing on that.
It sounds like you were going by your speedometer, which is quite inaccurate at high speeds. It could easily be off by as much as 10 mph or more at those speeds. Manufacturers set the speedometers to be a little "fast" just slightly at normal speeds to clear themselves of liability issues with speeding violations. Like if your speedometer says 55mph and you get a ticket for going 60mph, the manufacturer does NOT want to be held responsible for your speeding ticket, so they set them fast a bit intentionally. But the faster you go, the more error there will be.

Redline in 3rd for my Accord V6 is 116mph. I hit that on Saturday and my speedometer said 120mph or so - 4mph of error, and that error will go up with even higher speeds like 140mph (indicated). Another one of our Accord V6'ers hit 137mph (indicated), but from the shot of his tachometer I figured out that he was only going 128mph (9mph of error).

The best ways to get a "true" top speed on your car is to have your speedometer calibrated, or use a GPS unit that can measure your speed. You can also calculate it from your tachometer, which is much more accurate across the range than your speedometer, but you need to know the gear ratios and tire sizes if you don't already have some sort of RPM-speed correlation, like the C&D test data.

Mags like C&D use calibrated test equipment that will accurately measure speeds and they do not go by the speedometer. They also test under as consistent of conditions as possible and on FLAT ground as well. And if there's a tailwind or headwind they'll usually do top speed runs in both directions and then average the two runs.

At high speeds it's pretty safe to assume about 7-10mph of speedometer inaccuracy on pretty much any speedometer.
Old 06-25-2001, 06:01 PM
merchgod

Re: The question is!

Originally posted by MOBOY

How long does it take you to get there!?
Certainly faster than any stock Maxima and probably faster than most modified Maximas, unless you see a lot of modified Maximas running 14 second flat quarter mile times and hitting 60 mph in 5.5 seconds!

Old 06-25-2001, 07:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on the 6-spd for 2k2

My friend is a Sheriff, and we used his Radar gun to verify the speed. And by the way my speedometer was inaccurate, but only by 3 mph.

Originally posted by stevepake
It sounds like you were going by your speedometer, which is quite inaccurate at high speeds. It could easily be off by as much as 10 mph or more at those speeds. Manufacturers set the speedometers to be a little "fast" just slightly at normal speeds to clear themselves of liability issues with speeding violations. Like if your speedometer says 55mph and you get a ticket for going 60mph, the manufacturer does NOT want to be held responsible for your speeding ticket, so they set them fast a bit intentionally. But the faster you go, the more error there will be.

Redline in 3rd for my Accord V6 is 116mph. I hit that on Saturday and my speedometer said 120mph or so - 4mph of error, and that error will go up with even higher speeds like 140mph (indicated). Another one of our Accord V6'ers hit 137mph (indicated), but from the shot of his tachometer I figured out that he was only going 128mph (9mph of error).

The best ways to get a "true" top speed on your car is to have your speedometer calibrated, or use a GPS unit that can measure your speed. You can also calculate it from your tachometer, which is much more accurate across the range than your speedometer, but you need to know the gear ratios and tire sizes if you don't already have some sort of RPM-speed correlation, like the C&D test data.

Mags like C&D use calibrated test equipment that will accurately measure speeds and they do not go by the speedometer. They also test under as consistent of conditions as possible and on FLAT ground as well. And if there's a tailwind or headwind they'll usually do top speed runs in both directions and then average the two runs.

At high speeds it's pretty safe to assume about 7-10mph of speedometer inaccuracy on pretty much any speedometer.
Old 06-25-2001, 09:50 PM

Re: Re: The question is!

Certainly faster than any stock Maxima and probably faster than most modified Maximas, unless you see a lot of modified Maximas running 14 second flat quarter mile times and hitting 60 mph in 5.5 seconds!
how about the supercharged maxs runnin 13s? or the nos'ed ones goin lower than that?
Old 06-26-2001, 01:03 PM
merchgod

Re: Re: Re: The question is!

Originally posted by AznWontonboy

how about the supercharged maxs runnin 13s? or the nos'ed ones goin lower than that?
Those represent probably 1% of all Maximas. I'm not trying to refute anything other than the comment made that Maximas are "mustang killers" because mustangs have to shift into 3rd earlier, which is not true. I've owned a 96 SE 5-speed and a 96 GXE 5-speed, both with basic bolt-ons and there is no way it would hang with my current 99 Mustang GT 5-speed. That said, the Mustang is a piece of crap, breaking down every month. I'm getting probably a 2002 Maxima 6-speed which is why I'm lurking around this board.

Old 06-26-2001, 01:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: The question is!

Those represent probably 1% of all Maximas. I'm not trying to refute anything other than the comment made that Maximas are "mustang killers" because mustangs have to shift into 3rd earlier, which is not true. I've owned a 96 SE 5-speed and a 96 GXE 5-speed, both with basic bolt-ons and there is no way it would hang with my current 99 Mustang GT 5-speed. That said, the Mustang is a piece of crap, breaking down every month. I'm getting probably a 2002 Maxima 6-speed which is why I'm lurking around this board.
How is the match-up between a 5spd max at about 80 in 3rd and the 99+GTs? Or a better question, if a max is going to run a stang from a roll, is there any speed/gear combo where the max would have an advantage over a mustang.