5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Difficult question re. computer

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:53 PM
100% chingon

Difficult question re. computer

Are there any Nissan employees here? I ask, because I have not managed to find anything in the stickies or by searching, about this problem: This could apply to any Nissan later than 2001, including the Max Gen 5, Altima, and, the one that is eating me up, a Sentra SER Spec V. Please don't flame me for poating here, there are no other forums that are worth anything, the SER forum is full of
I already have a Gen IV Max and a 96 Sentra and a Gen 3 Villager and so I am not entirely dumb. I have spotted a 2002 Sentra SER SPEC V on offer at about $5000 which is at least $2500 under the normal price.
The car won't start. I suspect it is a recovered stolen since the current owner doesn't have the remote key fob. And the original stereo has been replaced by some POS.
He does have an ignition key that fits the lock, and the engine turns over.
There is no spark, and the fuel pump does not prime.
I suspect the ignition key chip isn't responding and the computer has locked out.
Today I went back with an OBDII scanner and was unable to get any error codes because the scanner reported NO LINK (I checked the scanner on my Gen IV Max and it works fine...)
So, does the 'NO LINK' mean the computer is blown up? Or would that be normal for an ignition key lockout?
If the computer is dead, does anyone know how much a replacement costs? (I imagine the price must be fairly similar between a Max and a Spec V)
- or any other ideas? I really like the car and the price is too attractive.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:59 PM
retired moderator

I would be wary that the car is a flood recovery (Katrina), which can do serious damage to the electrical system, computer, you name it. Have you done a CARFAX check on the VIN? If not, that's the first thing I'd do.

btw, I notice alot of cars I love in your sig.... I myself have a pair of GT6's (both 1970).....do you still have any of your Triumphs???
Old 08-08-2006, 07:08 PM
100% chingon

Originally Posted by irish44j
I would be wary that the car is a flood recovery (Katrina), which can do serious damage to the electrical system, computer, you name it. Have you done a CARFAX check on the VIN? If not, that's the first thing I'd do.

btw, I notice alot of cars I love in your sig.... I myself have a pair of GT6's (both 1970).....do you still have any of your Triumphs???
Good point, but it's actually a Mexican car and has the speedo in KM/H and the VIN indicates it's from here. (I live south of the border). I reckon the car is either a stolen/recovery or an impound from some narco, maybe sold by govt. auction. I've seen a 98 I30 5-speed in San Antonio at the same price but which would you choose?

I wish I still had the GT6! I really liked that car. The TR6 was great to drive but I had the motor souped to the maximum and finally I blew the crank. Watch out for the crank end-float on your GT6, it's only a D-shaped shim as I recall and once it wears, the mains go to hell pretty quickly. (Sorry this is off topic!)
Best wishes
Clive
Old 08-08-2006, 07:15 PM
retired moderator

I would touch base with DaveB....he can probably give you a good idea of the price of a new computer, and what that would involve. He might also have some extra insight into your problem. He doesn't surf the org all the much so you should call him at work. his number is in the stickies someplace.

Yeah, I'm well aware of the various issues with the GT6. Both cars are in storage right now waiting for more time/money/garage to work on them....then everything will be rebuilt, frame-up.

Any pics of your TR/GT6's? Feel free to pm me them if so, so I don't ***** up your thread that clearly needs some expertise.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I PMed you but I'll post it here so I can get flamed, I mean... corrected, if I'm wrong.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that if the car is immobilized, NATS doesn't deactivate the OBD-II or CONSULT capability, because if say someone's key is malfunctioning and the car is immobilized, how else would they be able to reprogram it? Plus if the car had a CEL for a NATS malfunction, an OBD-II scanner should still be able to "see" it and not a "NO LINK".

It seems that the car is more than just immobilized.

Like Josh said, try calling DaveB, he'll likely know what the issue is.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:55 AM
Willing to learn

ECU failure is not common, but I do know first hand of a co-worker who had this happen on his 02 Sentra. When Consult was connected to the car, it would not display the ENGINE selection on the menu. Fortunately he had another 02 Sentra to swap out the ECU to confirm. A call to a salvage yard from the www.car-part.com database solved the problem. He got a good used one for $75. Car started right up, no further issues.

BTW, my local dealer says they have seen several of this type of incident on Sentras.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:07 AM

I'm betting there's no difference between a clean title and a salvaged title in Mexico, so CYA. From reading my 01 FSM, you'll need a CONSULT II unit, not an OBD-II scanner. Does the security light stay on when the ignition is switched to on? (hell, is the battery charged?)

From my FSM:

• When NVIS (NATS) detects trouble, the security indicator lamp lights up while ignition key is in the “ON” position.
  • NVIS (NATS) trouble diagnoses, system initialization and additional registration of other NVIS (NATS) ignition key IDs must be carried out using CONSULT-II hardware and CONSULT-II NVIS (NATS) software. Regarding the procedures of NVIS (NATS) initialization and NVIS (NATS) ignition key ID registration, refer to CONSULT-II operation manual, IVIS/NVIS.
  • When servicing a malfunction of the NVIS (indicated by lighting up of Security Indicator Lamp) or registering another NVIS ignition key ID no., it is necessary to re-register original key identification. Therefore, be sure to receive ALL KEYS from vehicle owner.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
From reading my 01 FSM, you'll need a CONSULT II unit, not an OBD-II scanner.
He'll need a Consult II to reprogram, but shouldn't an OBD-II scanner still be able to read codes and whatnot while the car is immobilized?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:51 AM

Possibly, but wouldn't allowing the OBD-II scanner to clear the codes by-pass the NATS?

The question is, does he get the security light to indicate NVIS trouble with the sole ignition key he's got?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Wat

NATS codes, IIRC, do not show thru the OBDII scanners
Old 08-09-2006, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
Possibly, but wouldn't allowing the OBD-II scanner to clear the codes by-pass the NATS?

The question is, does he get the security light to indicate NVIS trouble with the sole ignition key he's got?
You're probably right, since he's talking immobilized here, and not just faulty NATS/NVIS like I was thinking.

Good point about checking via the security light.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by clive
the current owner doesn't have the remote key fob
I just noticed this and now I'm confused, in your original PM you said:

I noticed the remote key fob doesn't appear to work, the LED comes on but it doesn't lock or unlock the doors.
Do you have the remote key fob or not?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by E55AMG2
NATS codes, IIRC, do not show thru the OBDII scanners
You're saying NATS codes as in DTCs P1610 to P1615 cannot be pulled via OBD-II? Or am I misunderstanding here?

IIRC, I'm pretty sure at least one person has posted asking about this before.

EDIT: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=immobilizer
Old 08-09-2006, 07:20 AM

Hmm.... the plot thickens.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:38 PM
100% chingon

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I just noticed this and now I'm confused, in your original PM you said:

Do you have the remote key fob or not?
- I went last night and took another look. And asked some questions. The problem is that the owner is never there, it's just his son and the wife, who I think aren't being exactly honest about what the car's history is.
The ignition key, which I can see has a chip in it from the ID plastic colour, has a remote key fob on it. Which doesn't work. So last night I asked, 'why doesn't the remote work?' and the son told me that it is not the correct remote. (WTF? Why would anyone put a different remote on a key for another car? What use is that?)
Hmm. Security light. Good idea, thanks guys. Trouble is I am not sure what the security light looks like on one of those, though of course I know where it is on a Max. I'll check on that.

Update from dealership: I found myself near another dealer this morning and went in and had a chat with the shop foreman. He was surprised the scanner returned 'no link' and is of the opinion that it could be the computer really is blown. How discouraging. Cost of a replacement is about $1000 from the dealer. This being a SPEC V I doubt they are readily obtainable from a used parts org. but . . . I will try, thanks for the link whomever sent it!
Old 08-09-2006, 01:42 PM
100% chingon

From the other thread:
"Thanks guys I got it sorted it out. It was the Immobilizer Module."
- HUH? There is an immobilizer module? Where is it and what does it look like? And what does it cost . . .
Old 08-09-2006, 04:45 PM
100% chingon

Originally Posted by oldngivout
ECU failure is not common, but I do know first hand of a co-worker who had this happen on his 02 Sentra. When Consult was connected to the car, it would not display the ENGINE selection on the menu. Fortunately he had another 02 Sentra to swap out the ECU to confirm. A call to a salvage yard from the www.car-part.com database solved the problem. He got a good used one for $75. Car started right up, no further issues.

BTW, my local dealer says they have seen several of this type of incident on Sentras.
Really appreciate your info. I think I'll proceed on the basis that the ecu is bad. I already checked with a Nissan agency today, the price of a new replacement is $1000 approx. and since the original hifi has been ripped out I need to budget for a decent replacement, plus any extra work, sensors, whatever.
I'll see if I can source a replacement SPEC V ecu from car-part.com and if I can, I don't mind waiting a little while for one to arrive, if it´s substantially cheaper than $1000! The price here for a good SER SPEC V is at least $8500 so if I can save perhaps $2500 or more it looks like a good deal to me.
Only problem is I can see myself fighting with my son as to who drives the Max and who drives the SPEC V, because I am particularly keen on 6-speed manual transmissions rather than the autotragic
Old 08-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Hoooper

From the other thread:
"Thanks guys I got it sorted it out. It was the Immobilizer Module."
- HUH? There is an immobilizer module? Where is it and what does it look like? And what does it cost . . .
the immobilizer "module" is in the steering column, just behind the key.