5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

$98 for a ECM Reprogram...do I have any options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

$98 for a ECM Reprogram...do I have any options?

I did some research today to find out how much it would cost me to have my ECM reprogrammed. This is part of Nissan's TSB# NTB03-022 found here:

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB03-022.pdf

It states that for my hesitation problem I need to have the ECM reprogrammed and possibly replace the MAF sensor. I have already replaced the MAF then reset the ECM. My car ran great for a week, then the power loss and hesitation came back.

The local shops around the Phoenix area are telling me the reprogram costs $98 = to 1 hour of labor. I don't think this reprogram will take 1 hour so I feel like they are trying to take advantage of me since the consult-II is needed to perform the reprogram. Do I have any oprions or do I just need to "lube up" before I bend over??
Old 08-21-2006, 12:29 PM

isnt there instrucitons here on how to re-program yourself? Im pretty sure I read that somewhere, but I dont know where exactly.

Just search. It's here.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Wat

The $98 is for the one hour's labor required to complete the reflash.

Unless you have someone with a consultII terminal laying around, there is no way to do this yourself.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:33 PM

nevermind. i just read you said re-progmram, and not re-set.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Willing to learn

Nissan dealer service usually does not charge less than 1 hour labor on this sort of job. Just not worth it. The reprogram alone in real time can take up to 20 minutes, not including vehicle prep, downloading the correct program from their network, and all the other little things that can add up to at least an hour.

BTW, it is correct that only Consult 2 with the correct program from ASIST can update your ECU.

For those who believe that disconnecting the battery will reprogram your ECU, well it won't.

Little late on the reply, sorry.

Reset and reprogram, two entirely different things.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Cletus

look at the sign in every dealership "minumum one hour labour".
they are "taking advantage of you" since you can go buy the consult II if you want to
Old 08-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well that is what I thought based on my closing comments from my OP. I just have to suck it up and spend the $$$!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by oldngivout
Nissan dealer service usually does not charge less than 1 hour labor on this sort of job. Just not worth it. The reprogram alone in real time can take up to 20 minutes, not including vehicle prep, downloading the correct program from their network, and all the other little things that can add up to at least an hour.

BTW, it is correct that only Consult 2 with the correct program from ASIST can update your ECU.

For those who believe that disconnecting the battery will reprogram your ECU, well it won't.

Little late on the reply, sorry.

Reset and reprogram, two entirely different things.

Actually, the reflash takes 1:12 in real time. Downloading the program, if they have a broadband connection is 5 min tops. 20 if they are on dialup. There is no vehicle prep, unless you have a weak battery (where they take an extra 2 minutes to hook it up to a charger).
Old 08-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Willing to learn

Originally Posted by E55AMG2
Actually, the reflash takes 1:12 in real time. Downloading the program, if they have a broadband connection is 5 min tops. 20 if they are on dialup. There is no vehicle prep, unless you have a weak battery (where they take an extra 2 minutes to hook it up to a charger).
Well of course you are correct, taking into account absolutely no interruptions or distractions, with tools and vehicle at immediate hand, but is that always how it goes?

Typically you:

get the work order
go to the lot and get the vehicle
retrieve the Consult, plug in and obtain current ECU part#
look up the correct reprogram
download
connect the battery charger so you don't have any weak battery issues
follow through with the reprogram
start the vehicle afterwards and test drive for any issues
replace all tools and clear the work area

lots of little stuff left out for brevity etc........

I have done this procedure more than several times before, and I can say that it kills the best part of an hour.

People don't realize just how long it takes to do even the most simple repair. I wouldn't want some mechanic trying to set the land speed record in car repair on my vehicle.

Car repair is billed in hour units, not minutes. Always has, always will. We are not boiling eggs here, you know.