5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New '03 owner- this forum worries me... Anyone NOT having troubles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am selling my '97 SE 5spd since I just bought an '03 Max. I have wanted this car since they came out. This one is Black on Black leather, loaded, 6spd w/ HLSD, TI package, Meridian package and only 22K on it! The previous owner ordered it new, and babied it so much that he even had covers over the floor mats. This thing might as well be brand new.

So I've been reading through the 5th gen forum for the past couple of weeks, trying to plan what I want to do to the car, what to look out for, etc. and it's a little daunting. I realize that one of the main purposes of a forum like this is to help pass information around about how to troubleshoot car problems and properly care for the car, but HOLY S**T it seems pretty bleak! I love this car, but after reading through this forum, I'm practically expecting to have to quit my job and start a repair shop just to keep this thing up! Seems like a disproportionate amount of major problems with almost every system on this car!

Someone please tell me I did the right thing, that they love their '03 6spd, and are at least having an "average" reliability experience!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 04:35 PM

I agree with you, that there are waaay too many common problems for almost every part of the max out there...You just have to hope that you get one of the few that aren't affected by any of the problems. I, unfortunately, wasn't one of those few. Although it wasn't a major PROBLEM, per se, my transmission was grinding when shifting into third due to a synchro failure. Due to this tiny problem (could easily be overlooked) I had my transmission replaced under warranty. Also there are quite a few people with oil burning issues, although my car doesn't burn a drop between changes. Just take care of it and keep up with the maintenence, and pray that you have none of the major problems that many people have had

EDIT: All that being said, I love my car and would not mind having to swap in a new VQ later on down the road if anything were to happen. It's just that great of a car IMO.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:41 PM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

If I could do it all over again I still would have gotten the Max. I have had it for couple of years now and many miles later It still puts a smile on my face when i drive it, As for it having problems I think you are concentrating too much on the negative, like I said I have had my car for some time and thank goodness so far only a MAF problem which was covered under warranty was the biggest pain and a couple of recalls for sensors but all covered under warranty. The rest is all maintenance just baby it and im sure you will not have any major issues. BTW welcome fellow 5.5 gen owner and great move on donating it will help you alot when you need info.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:53 PM

Got mine brand new and even with all the mods I've done I haven't had problem one.... I take very good care of it, don't drive it like I stole it (well once and a while) and keep it clean. Over all I'm very happy with the car. It sounds like the previous owner made sure it was taken care of... sounds like you got a cherry car... enjoy.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:56 PM

My 03 GLE has no problem at all, after 17k miles. THe only things I have done is change oil, air filter, rotate tires ... all routine maintenance!! And there is absolutely no rattle, except when the Bose stereo is cranked up high, at which point the rear deck thumps due to vibration of the subwoofer.
Of course, I don't abuse my car ... no jack rabbit starts, flooring the gas pedal, break-neck brakings, etc .

I am going to sell my Max in a month or so because now I have my eyes on the 06 TL or RL (big discounts), which is a great upgrade for the Max.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:59 PM

Despite a slew of troubles in my first 8 months of ownership ( front bearings, 1 coil pack, start up rattle and now oil burning issue!) I've modded my car to almost exactly how I want it coming up from a 4th gen and I love it, the power, handling, looks, comfort and options, there's still very few cars I would trade my Maxima for, but it's certainly curbed my enthusiasm. I was going to add LED mirror caps, a double din DVD system and lower the car just a little more, but now I'm holding off until I can see if I can get some satisfaction with Nissan over this oil burning issue

Old 08-24-2006, 05:08 PM
The Boy Wonder

There aren't that many posts on good points of this car because everybody already knows that . I've only had to replace the blose head unit and o2 sensor other than that the car is amazing and I plan on keeping it for a long time. Btw Im super jealous you found yourself probably the best 5.5 gen out there.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:27 PM

Holy crap; positive statements! That gives me a few warm fuzzies... (unlike my new insurance payment)

Kcowden: I flew up to Pittsburgh to buy this Max; the owner said he had a quite a few calls from a guy in Gettysburg who seemed to be fairly knowledgable about the car; Know anyone around you who was looking into a Black '03?

MAXRB8; you're car is my car's idol!
Few questions:
What % is your tint?
Also; when you blacked out the internal headlight plastic, did you use any kind of heat resistant paint?
Old 08-24-2006, 05:40 PM

yeah that is a pretty rediculous find, i thought i had it good when i got an 01 last year with 55k on it. low mileage cars are def. hard to find, good job w/ that one
Old 08-24-2006, 06:24 PM

Most people post for solutions to problems so that's what we hear most of. Few people would start a thread just to say their car is running fine. The thread would probably get shut down in the first hour anyway.

I've got over 100,000 miles on my 02 and the only issues have been the Bose CD player and the 3rd gear grind. At about 95,000 miles I swapped the tranny with an 04 HLSD unit and haven't looked back. The grinding wasn't even that bad. I just wanted HLSD. The car is modded and I'm a little hard on it in regular driving. It sees the drag strip once and a while too.

There are very few issues that don't have a solution.

Overall these cars are great. The combination of performance, luxury, durability and price (especialy used) make up for most of the problems.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:47 PM

Word. Definitely a good car for the $$. I got this one for $17.5K 2 weeks ago, and the guy gave me the original window sticker with it- $32K!

Sucks for depreciation, but I'm happy!

I did luck out- I saw a car like this one with higher milage a few months ago in Fla, and someone else beat me to it.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:48 PM

Derrick hit it right on the head. all the posts you are going to read are going to be asking about one of 2 things....either posting about mods, or posting about problems they are having. honestly, no one is going to come on here and say they have had their maxima for 2 years and its been problem free, etc etc. it just doesnt happen. every forum i have been on, be it from ultra-reliable honda to problem ridden 3000GT, has been like this.

in my experience, my max has been trouble-free. what trouble free means to me is no major issues. no stalling, no trans slippage, oil loss, etc. have i had to go in for sensors? yes. adjustments? yes. minor repairs? yes of course, its like that with all cars. bottom line, my max has never left me stranded, and it still frequently impresses me. my car is modded in nearly every possible way for a 5.5 gen with the exception of headers and a pulley. no issues any more or any less, its a good car.

egr, dont let things on here disuade you. its a great car, its a fun car, and its a respectable car to drive. slam it to the ground, spin the tires all you want, enjoy the car, its a great ride.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:02 PM

KCMC- Your car is my other favorite so far on this forum- Both you and MAXRB8 have sweeeeeeeet cars; obviously modded, but very clean, and pretty friggin mean looking. If my car were the grey lustre, yours would probably be the "goal" as far as looks go.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 PM

yeah all cars have problems, you just gotta look on the better half i guess.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:39 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

egr - I'm very happy with my '02. No major problems. Had to replace one 02 sensor ($106) but that's been it. Mine's been very reliable and I couldn't be happier. Your 03 has all the options that a lot of people wish they had.....great find!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:09 AM
Banned

Don't listen to them! I'll bet today when you drive to work your wheel will fall off, MAF will blow, you'll burn 18 qts of oil, get 12 mpg, your fog lights will go, your transmission will slip, the alternator will quit and the right speakers will stop working, all at the same time!

But, don't worry, you still have a warranty!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:29 AM

Positive experience here. Other than the Bose headunit, I've had no issues whatsoever; not coils, sensors, anything. My extended warranty is going to waste big time.

Oh and if your car still has the stock Potenza RE92s, I'd recommend you get new tires ASAP.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:16 AM

I have driven nothing but Maximas for the past 8 years, started with a 94, upgraded to a 2000 and now I am driving a loaded 03. I had to replace two coilpack on the 94, thanks to a high speed roadtrip with over 90K miles on the car, replaced an MAF in the 2000, and so far, only a Bose Headunit that was covered under warranty on my 03. I ran both of my previous maximas up over 130K miles and sold them without a probem, both still running like tops.

When I bought the 03, I didn't even look at any other cars, all I wanted was the 03 Max and I could have bought a brand new 05 last year, but I don't like the new body style, so I concentrated on finding a low mileage 03. Found mine in southern Wisconsin with 25K, picked it up and haven't looked back. I have always been impressed with the style, power and reliability of the Maxima. If I had it to do over again, I would still buy my 03. Keep up on the Maintenance and don't drive it like "your hair is on fire" all the time and it should last you a long time.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:16 AM

I think that car will be nothing but trouble as it's been babied all its life. Beware of granny driven cars...

I'll do you a favor taking that heap of trouble out of your hands...
Old 08-25-2006, 06:31 AM

CCS2k1Max-
I appreciate your genuine concern for my "virgin" car. You'll be the first to know when I just can't take the worry anymore and I'm forced to give it up...
Old 08-25-2006, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by egr13

MAXRB8; you're car is my car's idol!
Few questions:
What % is your tint?
Also; when you blacked out the internal headlight plastic, did you use any kind of heat resistant paint?
Thanks for the props erg13, but credit must go to KCMC582 I've only had mine for 7months but it was his skirt kit and wheels that inspired my direction as far as modding but with a little SE model flare.

My tint is 20% rear, 35% rear sides, and only 50% front sides as it's actually illegal here to do the fronts. When I painted the headlights I didn't use a heat paint but probably not a bad idea as I can't think of any negative effects by using it.

Let me say this....... as others have mentioned all forums are about problem solving mostly and to show off our modding achievments, I'm sure most of us are on here because we love our Maxima's for one reason or another and we are interested enough in them to get on the forum to get more insight on how to resolve some of the problems that arise, I really enjoy this forum for the most part ( too much flaming) as I have gained an incredible amount of knowledge about these cars and I'm glad to I have been able to also pass on some of my own experience to others which is really what this is all about. If I was doing this again I would have held out for an 2003 but up here in Canada 6 speeds are even harder to find than probably in the states we just get less cars period due to population. I bought mine in another province ( state).

A lot of people here will be envious as you probably have the best of the best and at a very good price, you've got a keeper there, as you mentioned the depreciation is huge which makes them an exceptional buy. Also for the money compared to other cars they are very hard to beat.The 5.5 is the last of the Japanese build so this is definitely the last Maxima for me which I'm okay with as the price of gas up here is killing me! So enjoy and keep us posted on your modding progressions.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
Thanks for the props erg13, but credit must go to KCMC582 I've only had mine for 7months but it was his skirt kit and wheels that inspired my direction as far as modding but with a little SE model flare.
thats the second time i heard that this week. im sure with time egr, your car will look just as good or better than mine or maxrb8s. good luck and happy modding!
Old 08-25-2006, 07:17 AM

Yeah, even though mine burns a SMALL amount of oil, Id still buy it. My car was also a special order as yours was and the owners also babied it. I would definetly do it again. And I have no other issues with it. I love my car!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:57 AM

KCMC582/MAXRB8: I did notice that your cars could be siblings- That is absolutely the best look I've seen yet. Paycheck willing, your vehicle fam. will soon have a baby bro.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:02 AM

Check out any forum for any car and you'll find lots of problems. It's not just the max. Cars in general are becoming less reliable. My car has no problems at all......I've owned 2 5.5 and the only thing I had done to my 02 was the dim cel covered under warranty. My 03 is rock solid.....I think some of the problems on this board is related to who beats the hell out of there car and who doesnt. Enjoy the ride its a great car
Old 08-25-2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by egr13
KCMC582/MAXRB8: I did notice that your cars could be siblings- That is absolutely the best look I've seen yet. Paycheck willing, your vehicle fam. will soon have a baby bro.
yeah they are close, but there are a few differences. like he said, he has a more SE look with the body colored door handles and the spoiler. i dont know what my look is, spoilerless and chrome handled, but they are different enough to keep us both happy, im sure.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:13 AM
is invisible

You've got a great combo there - you'll be fine. Let the modding commence!
Old 08-25-2006, 11:07 AM

i dont think ive ever seen a better 5th gen then kcmc's. and btw, someone please help me with my datadots!!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 11:31 AM

Bought my car new. It now has 72,000 miles on it. The only problem I've had with it is the BOSE and headlight theft. Other than that, it's just been routine maintenance. Take care of the car and you will be fine.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:51 PM

Love my car. 70k and no problems with the exception of the coils. But once they are replaced they seem to be ok. I don't know if the problem extends to the 03's or not. Mine is an 00.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:46 PM
retired moderator

all cars have problems....although I've had a few things (bad wheel bearing, blown strut back when I had OEMs, bad clutch master cylinder) the car overall has been pretty reliable.....as much or moreso than my previous cars, an Accord and an Integra (both known to be reliable cars).

My wife's 2000 Jetta had 10x as many problems as my 2000 max in half the ti
Old 08-25-2006, 07:53 PM

egr13: We must be related somehow (or just have great taste in cars! ) because I just found & bought almost the exact same car last week in VA. I have everything yours has with the only difference being 1) my exterior color is satin silver (I think though I'm not sure -- is there a paint color ID somewhere on the car?), 2) mine has navigation and 3) mine has 33K miles on the clock.

I was thinking the same thing as you (in the back of my head) as I read through this forum since I've been a Honda/Acura guy (no flames please!) for the past 20 yrs. But even on the Honda/Acura forums, there are tons of similar posts. I looked for an '03 w/a 6 speed for over 3 years and happened to find this one on my way to vacation at the MD/DE beach (my wife was like "We're stopping on the way to the beach to look at a car???). She shouldn't have been surprised, knowing that I had driven 6 hrs each way to Atlanta last spring to look at another Maxima that ended up not to be as described on the phone and in pics. Well, she is very relieved that I finally found my car! Actually, she's happy it's the last time in a while she will hear me say "I'll be back in a couple of hours -- I'm looking at another Maxima"!

Anyway, I'm estatic about my purchase so far and as many on the forum have mentioned, the people with problems are the ones posting. I have heard many good things about Nissans lasting a long time and I'm looking forward to driving mine for a long time.

Good luck with yours and thanks in advance to all those on the forum that make this such a helpful place. There are some hot looking cars and as a newbie to Maximas, I look forward to learning from those who have been here for a while.

Pete
Old 08-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Positive experience here. Other than the Bose headunit, I've had no issues whatsoever; not coils, sensors, anything. My extended warranty is going to waste big time.

Oh and if your car still has the stock Potenza RE92s, I'd recommend you get new tires ASAP.
i thought u were burning oil?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:32 AM
VaporHead

I got 65k on my '01 and have no problems at all. I just had to change my accessory belt, but thats it. (crossing fingers). Alot of people have MAF problems, or VAIS problems, but none for me somehow.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:41 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

no problems with my 03 engine.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

treat her right and you won't have any major problems..........