5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Made the switch from Eibach to H&R...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006 | 05:31 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

Made the switch from Eibach to H&R...

omfg! what an improvement in ride. The car is definitely higher than the Eibach's, but for the improvement in ride, it's definitely an improvement. I'm using Illuminas set on 2f/2r.

I'd go as far as to say that the car now handles and rides better than stock.
Old 09-25-2006 | 06:28 AM

what didn't u like about the Eibach's? was it to much cuz of NY roads? ,.. just wondering, cuz those are the spring that i was leanin towards
Old 09-25-2006 | 06:44 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

Originally Posted by mist max2000
what didn't u like about the Eibach's? was it to much cuz of NY roads? ,.. just wondering, cuz those are the spring that i was leanin towards
yeah man...i live in NYC and anytime i hit a pothole it felt like the entire front end of the car was gonna break. i also have a pregnant wife and the harsh ride really isn't good for her.

H&R is a drastic improvement...but i will admit, the drop isn't satisfactory to most people.
Old 09-25-2006 | 07:17 AM

i know this topic has been beat to death, but what would u say about the handeling since u now rode both?
Old 09-25-2006 | 07:28 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

Originally Posted by mist max2000
i know this topic has been beat to death, but what would u say about the handeling since u now rode both?
handling is similar and superb. i'll say it again, this car now STILL handles better than stock, but rides good, too.

the eibach handled great, too.
Old 09-25-2006 | 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by spark plugs.
H&R is a drastic improvement...but i will admit, the drop isn't satisfactory to most people.

Isn't satisfactory to most pple, you mean it isn't low enough? How much of a drop is it over stock?
Old 09-25-2006 | 07:55 AM
Z

H&Rs drop roughly 1.3 up front and 1.2 in the back. Because the back drops as much as the front, it makes the car's rear look like it's sagging (but it isn't -- our rear fenders are just cut different than our fronts).

I have Maxspeed springs in the back, because they're designed sort of similarly to the H&R and they ride .2'' higher. So with my H&Rs up front dropping me 1.3'' up front, and my Maxspeeds at 1.0'' -- my stance looks absolutely flawless. And the handling is terrific.
Old 09-25-2006 | 08:27 AM

you should post some pics of the height difference if you have any
Old 09-25-2006 | 09:15 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
H&Rs drop roughly 1.3 up front and 1.2 in the back. Because the back drops as much as the front, it makes the car's rear look like it's sagging (but it isn't -- our rear fenders are just cut different than our fronts).

I have Maxspeed springs in the back, because they're designed sort of similarly to the H&R and they ride .2'' higher. So with my H&Rs up front dropping me 1.3'' up front, and my Maxspeeds at 1.0'' -- my stance looks absolutely flawless. And the handling is terrific.
my car actually looks completely level even WITH an IDMAX in the trunk...
Old 09-25-2006 | 09:16 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

Originally Posted by koolguy4u
you should post some pics of the height difference if you have any
will try to do this weekend.
Old 09-25-2006 | 09:18 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

Originally Posted by Mints33
Isn't satisfactory to most pple, you mean it isn't low enough? How much of a drop is it over stock?
~1.3 up front, 1.0 in the rear

i know most people desire the drop of ATLEAST the eibach's....while i do have a buddy with the s-techs (which is much lower), he complains that the car bottoms out too much.
Old 09-25-2006 | 12:13 PM
Z

It's definitely more than 1.0 in the rear. It's closer to 1.2. Maxspeeds drop an inch in the rear and the H&Rs drop noticeably more.

But give it time, and you will eventually notice that once your springs settle in to their full drop -- the car's stance appears to be uneven (when it isn't).
Old 09-25-2006 | 12:59 PM

I had the same experience as spark plugs and currently have the same set up. I've had my H&R's on for about 6 months now and have noticed no 'sag'. The ride is much more compliant than with Eibach. I really liked the Eibach, (both stance and ride), except RR crossings and potholes really hit hard. H&R's are much better in these conditions without sacrificing handling. The front is pretty close to the same height as the Eibach and the back is lower, as stated above, but the car is now level. I have measured ground to the bottom of the AE kit. This is just my experience ...
Old 09-25-2006 | 01:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have not ridden in a car with H&Rs but Irish did and he said he felt the Eibachs were very similar in ride comfort but I will admit when I drive in the city and I experience city pot holes (and I meen big dig potholes large enough to swallow your first born) the ride is never comfortable in my max even when I was stock. With the EIbachs there are deff some butt clenching moments but anywhere outside of the actual city (and boston is one of the worst right now in terms of roads) they are perfectly fine.

The only other time I can think the Eibachs may get rough is on some of the roads up in ski country in Northern NH and the likes which have frost heaves sometimes half a foot tall. I distinctly remember getting my buddies GMC Jimmy airborne a few times in my earlier days driving on those roads with a bit too much pep.
Old 09-25-2006 | 03:58 PM

I told you in your last post that you would like H&Rs
Old 09-25-2006 | 04:03 PM
retired moderator

oddly enough...the Eibachs DO feel a bit harsh with illuminas set to 5. I recently switched to 4 and now they feel just like the H-techs...soft...but still handle much better.

As to the "drop numbers"...don't believe them. When I park next to Soonerfan (also with a black 5th gen), my front Eibachs are CLEARLY lower than his front H&R's. And his backs are about the same as mine. The H&Rs sit hihg in the front, no question - I'd say at least 1/2" if not more.

BTW, your backs will start to sit lower once the springs settle. The fronts will not.

Happy you like them though. If I had terrible roads, H&Rs probably would have been my choice - but I went for handling and lower roll center in front.
Old 09-25-2006 | 05:05 PM
Z

Yeah, Irish is correct when he says that often times drop numbers aren't very accurate.
Old 09-25-2006 | 07:51 PM

anyone running stock rears with h&r fronts? id rather have the car look stanced with minor improvement than a car that looks funny. havent really heard much insight from this setup, and plus i dont autox or nothing, id just like the car to be less bouncy and have slgihtly less roll on turns and watnot

edit//
found housecors review on his site. anyone else with this setup?
Old 09-26-2006 | 08:19 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
It's definitely more than 1.0 in the rear. It's closer to 1.2. Maxspeeds drop an inch in the rear and the H&Rs drop noticeably more.

But give it time, and you will eventually notice that once your springs settle in to their full drop -- the car's stance appears to be uneven (when it isn't).
i guess i'll have to wait for them to settle. i just hope it doesn't look retarded when it settles.
Old 09-26-2006 | 08:20 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

Originally Posted by sciff5
I have not ridden in a car with H&Rs but Irish did and he said he felt the Eibachs were very similar in ride comfort but I will admit when I drive in the city and I experience city pot holes (and I meen big dig potholes large enough to swallow your first born) the ride is never comfortable in my max even when I was stock. With the EIbachs there are deff some butt clenching moments but anywhere outside of the actual city (and boston is one of the worst right now in terms of roads) they are perfectly fine.

The only other time I can think the Eibachs may get rough is on some of the roads up in ski country in Northern NH and the likes which have frost heaves sometimes half a foot tall. I distinctly remember getting my buddies GMC Jimmy airborne a few times in my earlier days driving on those roads with a bit too much pep.
i gotta say...living IN nyc is definitely the decision-maker. my butt was taking a beating and it just wasn't safe for my unborn child to be taking bumps that hard.
Old 09-26-2006 | 08:21 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
I told you in your last post that you would like H&Rs

definitely. thanks.
Old 09-26-2006 | 08:23 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

Originally Posted by xnyc
anyone running stock rears with h&r fronts? id rather have the car look stanced with minor improvement than a car that looks funny. havent really heard much insight from this setup, and plus i dont autox or nothing, id just like the car to be less bouncy and have slgihtly less roll on turns and watnot

edit//

i think "bounciness" has more to do with the shocks than anything.

i noticed on housecor's site:
S-tech, Sprint, and Progress are aggressive drops and will lead to bottoming out on potholes and large road irregularities. As such, if you live in an area with poor roads, going this low isn't generally recommended due to the unforgiving ride and risk of rim damage.
and bottoming out is definitely i have to fear where i live.
Old 09-26-2006 | 09:54 AM
Got Projectors?

edit//
I have H&R fronts now. Illuminas all around, the rears set stiffer than the fronts to try to compensate for having stiffer springs up front.

It probably handles a little better, but truthfully I did this setup for aesthetics more than anything. It's not bouncy, and the ride is as comparable to stock out of any of the three lowering springs I've tried.
Old 09-27-2006 | 07:24 PM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
I have H&R fronts now. Illuminas all around, the rears set stiffer than the fronts to try to compensate for having stiffer springs up front.

It probably handles a little better, but truthfully I did this setup for aesthetics more than anything. It's not bouncy, and the ride is as comparable to stock out of any of the three lowering springs I've tried.
springs that can lower a car w/out comprimising the ride at the same time are considered a success in my book.
Old 09-28-2006 | 05:57 AM

h&r

can anyone post a close up pic of the H&R on their car?

took a ride in my friends car w/ h-tech's and illuminas and the ride is definately too firm but doable.
Old 09-28-2006 | 06:13 AM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

no lie, my car's height looks almost exactly like this, but in pearl white

Old 09-29-2006 | 07:58 AM

h&r

that's not bad.... h-tech's definately have a nicer drop but looking for comfort as well.
Old 09-29-2006 | 08:51 AM

I've been running HR's on KYB GR'2s and the handling is far better than when I was stock. Eibach's in NYC are HELL.
Old 09-29-2006 | 04:17 PM

just put the h&rs in the front. they are really as comfortable if not better than my oem springs. im still using oem struts. i couldnt believe it when i took it out for a spin after swapping. the only problem is right after i changed the springs, there is a clunking sound while i turn the wheel. i was told it was the strut mount by my coworker. i have a feeling it has to do with the spring not being seated properly in the rubber cover. who knows. gonna have to take a look tmrw and find out. o yea i can take turns and curves in roads much better. car doesnt feel as bulky anymore
Old 09-29-2006 | 04:59 PM
2-Wheelin it...

edit//
i'm on H&R front only w/OEM rears. add my subbox w/amps, and it adds a small drop. am i even. very much so. do i like th ride, YES.
Old 09-30-2006 | 03:50 PM
Hi, I drive a Maxima.

just put the h&rs in the front. they are really as comfortable if not better than my oem springs. im still using oem struts. i couldnt believe it when i took it out for a spin after swapping. the only problem is right after i changed the springs, there is a clunking sound while i turn the wheel. i was told it was the strut mount by my coworker. i have a feeling it has to do with the spring not being seated properly in the rubber cover. who knows. gonna have to take a look tmrw and find out. o yea i can take turns and curves in roads much better. car doesnt feel as bulky anymore
i had that problem with my eibach's. when i swapped the h&r's on, i made sure to clean and grease the strut mount. no more noise.
Old 09-30-2006 | 08:55 PM

Did the same...

Eibachs were my first springs! After those I got a set of H&Rs, cause roads here are terrible as well so Eibachs had to go off. After looking at my car with the H&R drop, I realy hated the front drop since it was higher then the rear = uneven. So I did some research and bought a set of Tein H-techs. Took out my front H&Rs and replaced them with the front Tein springs. Now the drop is dead even (look at my sig) and it rides just as good!
What a great combo set up!!!
Old 10-01-2006 | 03:01 PM
Z

^^^

And your brand new front H&Rs became mine. =D