5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

questions on coil packs tried search didnt get answers i needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 03:30 PM

questions on coil packs tried search didnt get answers i needed

I have a 2k max with 60k on it and an air filter (not cold air just the filter) and every other week my engine shoots the code p1320 ign signal-primary guy at dealership said probably the coil packs. then this week it hit the p1320 and this one p0304 cyl 4 misfire. so now i know that it is the coil pack on cylinder 4
questions
-how do i change the coil packs could find on the how toos?
-do i need to change all of them at the same time or just the broken one?
-the dealership said there $80 bucks a pop should i buy from them or where/what ones should i get?
- while i'm at it should i change spark plugs?
-is there something else i need to check before changing coilpacks?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:11 PM

bump please help
Old 10-04-2006, 02:41 AM
ODB

You can find some good help under "Replacing Spark Plugs" in the How-Tos.

I would only replace #4 for now. It's easy to do. Some will disagree and say replace all of them. $$

Best price is from Dave Burnette 888-254-6060
Old 10-04-2006, 05:20 AM

http://www.picshed.com/tanman/

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=451830

Since just 4 is called out, try just changing that one. If that doesn't help, probably change all of them. Make sure all of them have grey dots on them. DaveB is a good source, also try the parts/group buy section of this site. I would only change the plugs if I was replacing all the coils. That being said, pull plug 4 and see if it looks burnt. I just finished replacing all plugs and coils last weekend at 36k
Old 10-04-2006, 03:48 PM

thanks guys that was a ton of help
Old 10-05-2006, 10:29 AM

Hey, I just changed all the 6 coils on my 00-I30. I found all the 6coils for $280w/shipping. They are genuine nissan. I just replaced them. Its very easy to do this. All u need is a socket wrench. Be careful when u change hte rear right most one. The bolt fell down when I was doing it and I couldn t find it. It was anightmare as neither infiniti/nissan dealers nor autozone had the same bolt. Luckily my neighbor had a magnetic retriever using which i found the bolt in 2 seconds. Becareful when u do that.

Also, did u try to pull the spark plugs out to see if they are bad? I didnt do that.
Hopefully misfires gone now. but I still can hear very rare pinging noise. I dont know If I should have checked my plugs too. Let me know if you find anything wrong with your plugs.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:56 PM

I recently just go the same exact codes you got. P1320 (Ignition coil) and P0304 (Cyl 4 misfire). So I end up only replacing the cyc 4 coil and my problem is fixed.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:31 AM

Something in the air?

I also have a 2k max with ~55k. Wednesday at low speeds, in the lot at my work, got a check engine light (first time). Auto Zone read a p1320 and a p0304 (cyl 4 misfire). Nothing has come back and the codes have not been cleared.

Q&A:
Could there be another cause than coil pack? Plugs? Moisture? Dirt? Anybody find anything else?

Autozone said coils are $70 each but must buy 3!

Thinking of using NGK Platium G-power plugs because they are MUCH cheaper and the replacement looks easy.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:56 AM

rude max - speaking from personal experience #1 the code WILL come back,..#2 90% chance that it is a bad coil....#3 thats BS that they guy at autozone told you that because i bought only one from them before.. try a neighboring town maybe?.. #4 please dont put the cheap plugs in,.. you will regret it.. put the same ones that came out back in .. double plat's.. or u will regret it
Old 10-06-2006, 04:35 PM

It's strange a bunch of coils failing so close - was thinking weather related or something. Been riding my motorcycle all summer, then this rain started and the codes were thrown first day in the maxima. The gas is likely 3 months old. Also is cylinder 4 most likely to have problems because of the location? (front center)

The price of the OEM spark plugs also seem strange, especially when compared to NGK IX Iridium at half price and the other NGK platinums for a quarter the price.

Mist Max- If it makes you rest easier I'll continue to replace the coil, plugs, etc with quality over price. Been using mobile synthetic, super octane gas and all the other extras from day 1, but seems like I'm spending more on keeping my 2000 maxima running <5k/year would have if I kept my 87 maxima with the adjustable shocks and sexy female voice telling me "Lights are Ooooon". (a good example is the pile of brake work I've had done on the 2000)

Rude Max
Old 10-06-2006, 05:03 PM

pay day was today but for the last two months ive had to pay rent at two places OUCH. plus i have a company vehicle so i hardly ever Have to drive my max its just for fun so when i get my next paycheck its getting plugs and coils. and maybe it is the weather and mine happened at low speeds to usually very soon after startup
Old 10-06-2006, 06:05 PM

rude max-- i feel your pain.. had to do my brakes too. warped rotors...if mine were paid off in full i would prob think about trading it in at this point> i just threw another code for an o2 and i think another coil : also im pretty sure that the front cylinder coils,.. mostly the middle one and then the drivers side one are the most typical to go bad...

Bash boy- G/L with the car once u get that paycheck hope all goes well for ya
Old 10-07-2006, 05:02 PM

thanks mist plus on top of that i have idle issues but maybe this is all related refer to this link for the idle issue http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=494954 maybe if im lucky there both connected.
anyone here have this idle problem???
Old 10-08-2006, 08:14 AM

idle issue as in your stalling? or as in its really rough because your only running on 5 cylinders because of the bad coil?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
idle issue as in your stalling? or as in its really rough because your only running on 5 cylinders because of the bad coil?
no its running smooth but sometimes when i have the clutch pushed down and the shifter in the neutral position the rpms drop till it dies
Old 10-18-2006, 02:53 PM

well i dont know if this is related to the idle or not cuz i changed coilpack four the maf and did the seafoam cleaning all at the same time. but i've only driven half a tank so i dont know how much good i've done yet. i didnt have the money for all six coil packs so after snow tires i'm getting five more cuz mine didnt have the dots on them so there the old ones. checked the spark plug on four while doing the coilpack and it looked good so the plugs stay for now

thanks for everyones help
Old 10-18-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by bashboy2000
well i dont know if this is related to the idle or not cuz i changed coilpack four the maf and did the seafoam cleaning all at the same time. but i've only driven half a tank so i dont know how much good i've done yet. i didnt have the money for all six coil packs so after snow tires i'm getting five more cuz mine didnt have the dots on them so there the old ones. checked the spark plug on four while doing the coilpack and it looked good so the plugs stay for now

thanks for everyones help
Hey bashboy-
I bet you're the guy who got the 4 coil packs I was looking at, anyhow P1320 came back today right after I finished returning the scanner, after days of clean running with no codes. I've ordered a temp coil replacement for my 60k gold maxima and may skip the plugs for now (after your report, any pictures?). It's about time to mount the snow tires but mine are studs so I'd like to wait until last minute. Anyhow, please post in a few days to update.
Rude Max
BTW Are you anywhere near ATK or know people there?
Old 10-18-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by RUDE MAX
Hey bashboy-
I bet you're the guy who got the 4 coil packs I was looking at, anyhow P1320 came back today right after I finished returning the scanner, after days of clean running with no codes. I've ordered a temp coil replacement for my 60k gold maxima and may skip the plugs for now (after your report, any pictures?). It's about time to mount the snow tires but mine are studs so I'd like to wait until last minute. Anyhow, please post in a few days to update.
Rude Max
BTW Are you anywhere near ATK or know people there?

not sure what ATK is sorry but no i didnt snag your coils i bought one from the dealership by my house so i could get it done when i had time after work friday and sorry i didnt take any pics but im right at 60k and my spark plugs were fine but i bought this car at 57k so dont know what has been done to it
Old 10-21-2006, 11:28 AM

ATK is a rocket company with their largest plant (making the shuttle boosters) in Salt Lake. The have a branch here where I work, some friends have transferred out there.

I ordered a coil from a guy on the org. What's been bothering me is how many should I have purchased. So today I did a little testing and found the following:

Driver side: 1.46
Cyl 4: 1.52
Passenger side: 1.44

Given the testing done by many who are much smarter than I, anything above 1.48 is bad. This sounds right because I had a cyl 4 misfire code a few weeks ago.

A new question is clearing the P1320. The ODB2 reader says "codes cleared" then when I read them again, it's still there. I unplugged the battery for an hour, still there, though my radio & clock was reset. Is there something I need to do (turn a screw?). The old ODB scanner has to scan twice to find the code and can't read anything else on the Maxima. I hooked it up to a chevy and it read temperatures, O2 readings, EVERYTHING.

Rude Max
Old 10-23-2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by RUDE MAX
ATK is a rocket company with their largest plant (making the shuttle boosters) in Salt Lake. The have a branch here where I work, some friends have transferred out there.

I ordered a coil from a guy on the org. What's been bothering me is how many should I have purchased. So today I did a little testing and found the following:

Driver side: 1.46
Cyl 4: 1.52
Passenger side: 1.44

Given the testing done by many who are much smarter than I, anything above 1.48 is bad. This sounds right because I had a cyl 4 misfire code a few weeks ago.

A new question is clearing the P1320. The ODB2 reader says "codes cleared" then when I read them again, it's still there. I unplugged the battery for an hour, still there, though my radio & clock was reset. Is there something I need to do (turn a screw?). The old ODB scanner has to scan twice to find the code and can't read anything else on the Maxima. I hooked it up to a chevy and it read temperatures, O2 readings, EVERYTHING.

Rude Max
oh atk is allient tek or whatever use to be hercules i use to live right down the street from it lol brain freeze
yeah i just changes 4 and like two weeks later its still doing good although i dont drive it everyday i have a company vehicle but i played with some camaros this weekend and my max did pretty good so unless you got plenty of money i would just change the bad one. on clearing the codes it was my understanding that on maximas unplugging the battery did nothing to clear codes. i learned the hard way on my old fourth gen left it unplugged for 24 hrs still had the code. so maybe its your reader or it would really suck but maybe the whole computer itself sorry i couldnt help more with the CEL
Old 10-28-2006, 03:20 PM

just an update its been a few weeks and no more cel's the car is running fine change only the bad coilpack dont waste money.