5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

car "hangs" in 3rd gear...normal? MAF issue maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:20 PM
no more maxima...

car "hangs" in 3rd gear...normal? MAF issue maybe?

My automatic transmission has been rebuilt with stronger beefed up aftermarket clutch packs, treated gears, high stall torque convertor and maxxtuning's vb. I have recently removed the VB and went back to an OE-spec unit and flushed the ATF. However both before and after the modded VB, my car tends to not want to shift past 3rd gear. The RPMs just keep climibing easily into the 4k territory in 3rd gear and it won't shift into 4th gear unless I get off the throttle and then get back lightly into it.

What is causing this? Is this normal? I was reading the massive MAF failure thread and it seems like the MAF may cause this, however in my case it is only happening in 3rd gear and I fail to see why a defective MAF would only cause the system to hang in 3rd...
Old 10-08-2006, 11:41 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

I have/had a similar problem when on the interstate. If I had the cruise set at, say, 75, whenever I'd slow down to 60-65 or so then hit resume, the cruise would speed the car up, downshift to 3rd, speed up, then right before it hit the set speed it wouldn't sometimes shift back up into 4th for several seconds... I had this checked out at the dealer and they said the transmission was throwing error codes, but otherwise worked fine.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:25 AM

that's on cruise control, so that's totally different..
when the tranny was rebuilt, the gears weren't changed, were they?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:33 AM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by getbigtony
that's on cruise control, so that's totally different..
when the tranny was rebuilt, the gears weren't changed, were they?
I believe the ratios and such are exactly the same as stock.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Z

I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to describe, but are you talking about torque convertor lock? Let's say you're doing 70 and in 4th gear...hit the OD button to downshift into 3rd. And then floor it...does the needle gets stuck at 4K RPM for a bit?

Edit: It's late, but I read your post a few times...and it possibly sounds like a slipping transmission if it refuses to shift out of gear, and instead just keeps climbing.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:42 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

I experienced something like what you're describing, the other day. Turned a corner and brought the car up to 60kph -seemed fine at first, but then I noticed the RPMs were kinda high (over 2000) and I realized it wasn't shifting into 4th. gave it some gas, let off the gas, gave it some more gas and eventually it clicked into 4th.. not sure wth it was, and it hasn't happened since, but it was definitely weird.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I experience the same thing but only when the car is cold. I live right on the freeway and when i get on in the mornings third gear tends to linger a bit....I too have an auto and when i let off it does shift into 4th. However, when the car is warm this doesn't happen.

I just purchased the car a week ago and I know that the tranny had been flushed. Perhaps this has something to do with it. Other than that the car has been great. 2000 SE, 1 owner (adult female) and always serviced at a Nissan Dealership.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:29 PM
no more maxima...

I am pretty sure it isn't a slipping transmission, its just that its not wanting to upshift for some reason....seems like bad programming or whatever the heck it is that causes an auto to shift. I hate automatic transmissions, and if I am going to keep this car it is definitely getting a manual.

I am going to live with it for now, but I have read on MAF related threads that a bad MAF causes the car to hang in gear...though they never specifically stated which gear it hung in
Old 10-10-2006, 11:23 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

I had a bad MAF, too... It basically felt like the "pull" during hard acceleration would drop off right at 3.5k rpm's... As in, it would accelerate hard to 3.5k, then suddenly accelerate much more slowly, as the rpm's kept going up.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i have had a similar problem but i havent realized it until the other night. I have my auto tranny rebuilt about a year ago and its been shifting very hard into 2nd gear i took it back to the dealership and they said something was wrong with me ecu and tcm and that i need new ones to get it to shift right because the transmission has new parts. Well anyway i drove it the other night on open road and i noticed the car wouldnt shift into fourth gear i had 4 ppl in my car and i couldnt seem to do more than 80mph on open road it would rev almost up to redline and fall back into 3rd. I figured it was a MAF issue too so im looking to fix that first before even considering buying a new ecu and tcm. Its funny how the dealer got my car with a good ecu and it suddenly goes bad when i get it back. I also need to change o2 sensors so i dont really know what to do.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Cletus

if its hanging and not wanting to upshift, its probably a bad TCM (tranny control module)
the TCM gets inputs from the TCM then determines when to shift. if its going bad, it takes awhile for it to figure out when it needs to shift.

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB00-039a.pdf