5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Horn ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 02:28 PM

New Horn ...

Anyone here put in an extra horn or a manly horn? The horns on these Japanese cars are too whimpy, I want something that'll scare the crap outta someone. I drive in a town full of morons, they frickin' cut you off and go 20 under the speed limit. Or they fly out of a parking lot to make a left, and have their rear end sticking out to block traffic. I can go on and on ... any how, I almost have to drive with one hand on the horn. Where can I find some reading material???

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2006, 03:07 PM
wat

http://www.hornblasters.com train horns ftw!

Check out some air horn systems at some nearby auto parts stores, my friend has one and its loud as F*ck!
Old 10-23-2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mints33
Anyone here put in an extra horn or a manly horn? The horns on these Japanese cars are too whimpy, I want something that'll scare the crap outta someone. I drive in a town full of morons, they frickin' cut you off and go 20 under the speed limit. Or they fly out of a parking lot to make a left, and have their rear end sticking out to block traffic. I can go on and on ... any how, I almost have to drive with one hand on the horn. Where can I find some reading material???

Thanks!
Buy this horn only $500

Hornblasters.com
Old 10-23-2006, 07:07 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

it's pretty much without exception that japanese cars have lame horns.. just swap it out for a horn off a domestic truck or something.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:58 PM

lame

search

hella supertones
Old 10-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You don't know a town of MORONS till you spend at least a couple of days commuting in and out and around DC/Beltway...

Just my $.02... Just be careful as to what horn you may put in, "some" states have whats called a noise-to-size ratio law which limits how loud a horn may be depending on what size of vehicle you have... One of those dumb GAY laws that just happen to be sitting around on law books...

-Donovan
Old 10-24-2006, 05:42 AM

These are the horns that you need.....
http://www.autobarn.net/twinsuphorki.html
Old 10-24-2006, 07:07 AM

I replaced my wimpy horn with one from a 6th gen which has a much deeper tone. Although not nearly as loud as the hella, it was a cheap upgrade for around $13 from Dave B....just had to bend the bracket into an "L" shape so that it faced forward from the grill.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:07 AM

I'm big on the Fiamm "Freeway Blaster" horns (get both "Lo" and "Hi" horns). They're cheap (about $15 each at local Advance stores, $9.95 each at Harbor Freight web only + $8 shipping). They will plug and mount exactly as your original horns, and they sound fine, especially for the low cost.

No more "Road Runner" beep-beeps. These same horns were OEM on our old 1997 Eddie Bauer Expedition, FWIW.

Best of all, they come with a lifetime warranty. I had one rust out one time - I e-mailed Fiamm, and within a week had new parts.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Succinct
I'm big on the Fiamm "Freeway Blaster" horns (get both "Lo" and "Hi" horns). They're cheap (about $15 each at local Advance stores, $9.95 each at Harbor Freight web only + $8 shipping). They will plug and mount exactly as your original horns, and they sound fine, especially for the low cost.

No more "Road Runner" beep-beeps. These same horns were OEM on our old 1997 Eddie Bauer Expedition, FWIW.

Best of all, they come with a lifetime warranty. I had one rust out one time - I e-mailed Fiamm, and within a week had new parts.

Would Advanced Auto or Autozone carry them? Do you have a part number?? Seriously, this "road runner" beep beep drives me insane, people think the ice cream truck is coming or something. If it's a direct replacement, and relatively inexpensive, I would give it a shot, otherwise I've gotta wait until it's warmer out.

Thanks for all the help/advice/comments ...
Old 10-24-2006, 11:34 AM

Would Advanced Auto or Autozone carry them? Do you have a part number?? Seriously, this "road runner" beep beep drives me insane, people think the ice cream truck is coming or something. If it's a direct replacement, and relatively inexpensive, I would give it a shot, otherwise I've gotta wait until it's warmer out.

Thanks for all the help/advice/comments ...
I'm pretty certain your local Advance should have them, not so sure about Autozone (I think they sell a knock-off/imitation). Maybe try Pep Boys and/or K-Mart? Wal-Mart doesn't have them. Anyway, look for the "FIAMM" name and get both "hi" and "Lo" tone horns. They'll mount and plug to the same wiring as your existing horns. E-Zeee install.

Oh, and it's "Freeway Blaster" - accept no substitutes! (I think they make a lower dB horn that looks similar)
Old 10-24-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Succinct
I'm pretty certain your local Advance should have them, not so sure about Autozone (I think they sell a knock-off/imitation). Maybe try Pep Boys and/or K-Mart? Wal-Mart doesn't have them. Anyway, look for the "FIAMM" name and get both "hi" and "Lo" tone horns. They'll mount and plug to the same wiring as your existing horns. E-Zeee install.

Oh, and it's "Freeway Blaster" - accept no substitutes! (I think they make a lower dB horn that looks similar)

Carquest carries them, however they're 20 bucks a piece. I think on-line or ebay is the way to go. Anyhow, do you know the sound level (db) on those suckers? Thanks!
Old 10-24-2006, 02:51 PM

I googled them earlier today - they were listed at 132 db. Seem very popular as a motorcycle upgrade...

Gonna check out Advance tomorrow!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:25 PM

So, the "hi" horn goes in front of the radiator, and the low horn above the belts? The wiring harness is the same and a direct fit right?
Old 10-24-2006, 03:44 PM

I have the Nautilus Compact... they are italian horns... bought it for the motorcycle but it is a little tight in there... so i'll try to install in the car during this winter... it should be easy... only biggie is the relay.

And they are the loudest **** available....
Old 10-24-2006, 04:11 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

I have FIAMM trumpets and a Nautilus Stebel. BOTH of them.

And I am not happy, still not loud enough.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Pointy Elbows

I have the Hella's. They're not bad. Could be louder though.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 00MaxSE
I have the Hella's. They're not bad. Could be louder though.

Aren't the Hella's rated for 118dB vs. the 130 for the Fiamm's?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Aren't the Hella's rated for 118dB vs. the 130 for the Fiamm's?

Don't make the mistake of confusing dB w/ frequency. While the FIAMMs are a higher dB rating, they sound like an effing clown horn due to their high pitch.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:55 PM

hasn't this been discussed with a bunch of threads.. search!
i think it was recommended by a dozen to get hella or something
the current honda/acura uses bosch, which is nice and deep
Old 10-24-2006, 06:36 PM

Which one is the high horn on our max, the one in front of the radiator? Just want to make sure before installing. And how much power does the stock horns draw?

There's already a built in relay for the horns, so would an additional relay be necessary?
Old 10-24-2006, 06:59 PM
THIS IS...

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
http://www.hornblasters.com train horns ftw!

Check out some air horn systems at some nearby auto parts stores, my friend has one and its loud as F*ck!

Winnar!

10narts.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
I have FIAMM trumpets and a Nautilus Stebel. BOTH of them.

And I am not happy, still not loud enough.

thats the one I also have,... the Nautilus...

And metal maxima, i hate to inform you, but you are DEAF!!
Old 10-25-2006, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by NISMAX03
These are the horns that you need.....
http://www.autobarn.net/twinsuphorki.html
+1. I have these too and they're great horns.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nathan
+1. I have these too and they're great horns.
How hard are these bad boys to install? Do you need to modify the existing one pin connector?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Pointy Elbows

How hard are these bad boys to install? Do you need to modify the existing one pin connector?
Plug and Play with the exception of a ground you need for each horn.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:46 AM

Which one is the high horn on our max, the one in front of the radiator? Just want to make sure before installing. And how much power does the stock horns draw?

There's already a built in relay for the horns, so would an additional relay be necessary?
Another alternative is to buy the Infinity horns from the same year as ours.

They sound much more American and are a perfect fit and match since both were built on the same assembly line.

BTW...2k3's have both horns in front of the radiator...makes it a little harder to get to.l

thanks
Old 10-25-2006, 09:05 AM

^^^ I was just about to say something about my horns not being that weak. You can really tell when the alarm goes off... It's pretty darn loud.

Always assumed the Max had the same horn. Wondered what you all were talking about in all these horn threads.

If you're going to replace them anyway, I'd just go ahead and go aftermarket.

And Vogel... It's Infiniti, with an "i"
Old 10-25-2006, 09:06 AM

Many of the above recommendations are good ones (and some are louder), but I doubt any of them are as cheap as the Fiamm Freeway Blasters ($15-$16 each, nor as easy to install (direct replacement, using existing wiring). I just don't see the need to spend a lot more money/time when these things work so well. Don't knock 'em if you haven't tried them, both tones at once.

Then again, maybe I feel this way because I fart dust because I have no use for 100% cosmetic mods either...
Old 10-25-2006, 09:11 AM

Anyone have a sound clip of the Hella Supertone horns? I found the Fiamm Freeway blasters at O'Reilly's last night for 14.99 each, so for under 32 bucks out the door, I gave her a try. She's installed and sounds somewhat better than stock, however it could be louder and deeper.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:48 AM

+1 for the Hella Super Horns also. If you want bastard to hear you, these are definately the way to go. You will not be dissappointed!! They're a bit cheaper here, this is where I got mine from:
http://www.truckcustomizers.com/prod...4HLA261.1.html
Old 10-25-2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by CVicVogel
BTW...2k3's have both horns in front of the radiator...makes it a little harder to get to.l

thanks

Yeah, the one in front of the radiator was harder to get at, hardly enough room for my hand. And the Fiamm horn is quite thick, it wouldn't fit from the top, so I had to squeeze it in thru the grill, worked like a charm, but getting the nut back there was a b**ch, but overall it was a simple project, bye bye bicycle bells.

If someone can post a sound clip of the Hellas that'll be great!

Thanks
Old 10-25-2006, 10:32 AM

http://evasionoftruth.com/subaru/horns.mov
Old 10-25-2006, 11:04 AM

I just removed the 2 stock horns. Then mounted the 2 Hella horns behind the front grille. Positive terminal is plug & play but you have to run a small wire for the ground, just ground it to the metal frame behind the grille. I didn't bother using the supplier relay.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheSpaZinNOVA
You don't know a town of MORONS till you spend at least a couple of days commuting in and out and around DC/Beltway...

Just my $.02... Just be careful as to what horn you may put in, "some" states have whats called a noise-to-size ratio law which limits how loud a horn may be depending on what size of vehicle you have... One of those dumb GAY laws that just happen to be sitting around on law books...

-Donovan
TELL ME ABOUT IT
Old 10-25-2006, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the link, the Hellas sure are annoying ... I don't think I've ever heard such an annoying horn, maybe I'll put those on my wife's van. LOL
Old 10-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Banned

Thanks for the link, the Hellas sure are annoying ... I don't think I've ever heard such an annoying horn, maybe I'll put those on my wife's van. LOL

LOL
Old 10-25-2006, 01:01 PM

Well I have seen all the horns here those super tones suck.
$500 for train horns nnnaaaahhh.. go with these.. I have 2 of them installed and wired into my alarm. so yes 6 horns one set directly in the engine bay and the next in the front grill btwn Raditor and front bumper will take pics and post shortly. Go with these.. they are loud trust me.
http://www.truckcustomizers.com/prod...HLA261.2A.html
Old 10-25-2006, 03:44 PM

Yes To New Horn

I got backed into TWICE because nissan was too cheap to give me a real horn- dammit. I put two air horns in and woooooooooooga what a difference.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:49 PM

Train horn :D

A guy I knew put a train horn on his truck... I drove by and he honked that bad boy and i almost **** myself ... lol just get one of those.

Quick Reply: New Horn ...