5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Touchup Paint on Sterling Silver 03 Max

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:49 AM

Touchup Paint on Sterling Silver 03 Max

I had a scratch on the driver door so I got some touchup paint from the dealer and tried to patch it and these are the results I got. Does it look right? To me the colors don't really seem to match right. Perhaps thats just the way it is and thats the best it can get. Any input would be great.

Thank you

Old 11-02-2006, 05:59 AM

it does not match because

I think it does not match because your car has been exposed to the elements (Sun, rain, snow etc) for a few years now and the color of your car has been affected by that over time.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:09 AM

I have the same color. try using a buffing compound after the touch up paint dries; hopefully that will smooth out the colors and it will help blend it in.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:20 AM
Cletus

touchup paint never looks right because the paint on cars fades.
i had an 00 sterling mist and tried the touchup paint and it didnt match at all
Old 11-02-2006, 06:52 AM

Thanks for the info
Old 11-02-2006, 06:58 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by shobuddy
Thanks for the info
also..notice i used the correct name for your color
Old 11-02-2006, 07:15 AM

I think another reason there is never a good match is because the touch-up paint does not have a clear coat. You almost need to look for one shade lighter in another company's paint index. Sometimes another company's "sterling mist" equivalent is closer to the shade you need. Trial and error.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:40 AM

I noticed most people called it mist but the dealer I bought it from called it silver so it stuck w/me.

I think another reason there is never a good match is because the touch-up paint does not have a clear coat. You almost need to look for one shade lighter in another company's paint index. Sometimes another company's "sterling mist" equivalent is closer to the shade you need. Trial and error.
Thats a great point because my dad has a silver camry and he used the touchup paint for his car on mine about a year ago...it actually matches a lot closer.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:54 AM
REXXX

I had the same problem with my charcoal grey 5.5. The touch-up paint actually looked darker when I applied it.. However, it tuirned out that I ahd not shaken the paint enough in the bottle to evenly mix the colors within the paint.. I'd say make sure to shake and mix throughly and try re-applying another coat.. that worked for me.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:03 AM
absoundlab

ya that doesnt match at all. I bought sterling mist at nissan for $7.84 and it matched perfect

Old 12-01-2006, 02:59 PM

touch up paint...suggestion

I took my car to a local auto paint supply store. The counter guy took a specialized digital camera out to the parking lot, and using suction cups, attached the camera to the car and took a photo. He then connected the camera to his computer. The computer gave him paint codes which he used to mix a perfect match for my car.
The little bottle cost $20.00, but it was worth it.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:12 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

You could try to wet sand it a little just to get it to blend better. Wait for a couple of days after the crap adheres and then wet sand it.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by snipes
I took my car to a local auto paint supply store. The counter guy took a specialized digital camera out to the parking lot, and using suction cups, attached the camera to the car and took a photo. He then connected the camera to his computer. The computer gave him paint codes which he used to mix a perfect match for my car.
The little bottle cost $20.00, but it was worth it.
where did you get that service done? seems pretty nifty.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:01 AM

they gave you the wrong color. the silver one you have is for altimas i believe. sterling mist will say sterling mist on it.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:15 AM
6spd Swapped

Originally Posted by soonerfan
I dont think you used the correct name.. his car is a 2003 and in 2003 they had a lighter silver called "polished titanium." ie. burnurass
Old 12-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There were 3 different silver colors in '03:

KTT - Sterling Mist
KYO - Sheer Silver
WV2 - Polished Titanium

Look at the plate on the drivers side firewall to find out which color your car is. The touchup paint looks like Sheer Silver and your car may be Sterling Mist???

Here are the Nissan color codes: http://www.courtesyparts.com/paint/maxima.html
Old 12-02-2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Maxfli

KTT - Sterling Mist
KYO - Sheer Silver
WV2 - Polished Titanium

Look at the plate on the drivers side firewall to find out which color your car is. The touchup paint looks like Sheer Silver and your car may be Sterling Mist???

thanks for some great advice! I have the same problem with my silver not matching! I have "KYO" Sheer Silver color and same for my touch up paint....
AND IT DOESN'T MATCH EITHER!!

Perhaps, I should try the next darker color???
Thanks

Vic
Old 12-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Max0224
I dont think you used the correct name.. his car is a 2003 and in 2003 they had a lighter silver called "polished titanium." ie. burnurass
i saw the color in the picture...thats sterling mist
thanks for playing
Old 12-04-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by xnyc
they gave you the wrong color. the silver one you have is for altimas i believe. sterling mist will say sterling mist on it.
The paint names aren't listed by name on the paint bottles. They are listed by code number.

Originally Posted by Maxfli

KTT - Sterling Mist
KYO - Sheer Silver
WV2 - Polished Titanium

Where is the "side firewall"? If you are referring to the sticker behind the drives side door panel, it does not have the color information. It just has the weight information, some warning and the VIN.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:24 PM

Sho

For the 2K3, there is a plate on the engine side of the firewall. The paint code is down near the bottom.

It is 3 characters long.

There is no information on the door panel or driver's console lid (where the tire info is).

Use that 3 digit code to match with the touchup paint. Also, you can use the chart listed earlier in the email postings to find the actual name (such as Sheer Silver for KYO, etc.).

thanks
Old 12-04-2006, 01:26 PM

For the engine firewall sticker, look directly behind the air cleaner and below the windshield wipers on the body panel that separates the engine from the passenger compartment. That is called a firewall.

You will find engine codes and paint codes. Paint codes are down 1 or 2 lines up from the botton on the left side.

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:44 PM

Silver is very very hard to touch up. It's because there is so much metal in the silver and when you brush it on, the reflection is distorted because you're brushing on what's essentially a whole bunch of glitter.

Your best bet would be to use an airbrush. It still wont match up 100% but it will blend in much better.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:54 PM

anyone have words of wisdom for the 01 Pearl white? i know there are two things of paint, the white paint and then the pearl clear coat. anyone have to do the whole touch up thing with that color? does the dealer paint match?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 01Max20thAnni
anyone have words of wisdom for the 01 Pearl white? i know there are two things of paint, the white paint and then the pearl clear coat. anyone have to do the whole touch up thing with that color? does the dealer paint match?
I used to buy cars from auctions with key marks all over them and touch them up and sell them.

This is what I used to do

If the scratch is deep. If your finger nail catches as you rub across the scratch then get some spot glazing putty. Using a razor blade or a very thin inflexible object (I used to use a blockbuster card) fill the scratch with glazing putty. Let it dry

Then take 1500 grit sand paper and wet sand the spot so the glazing putty is flush with the rest of the paint outside the scratch.

Let that dry

Take some 3M rubbing or polishing compound (not the stuff you get in a metal can- too abrasive) and polish out the sand marks.

Get some paint prep or prep sol (basically a solvent to clean parts before you paint them) and clean the area you want to paint.

Apply primer. One thin coat. Followed by another thin coat if you want

Sand with 1500 and compound, and prep sol again

Apply paint. I used to apply two coats but then once I ran out and applied only one and it came out fine. 2 if you have time. If not one coat is fine.

If you have an airbrush it will be a much more uniform match

Let that dry

Apply clear coat.

1500grit wetsand again. then compound. Then you can use glaze or a cleaner wax and it should blend in fine.