5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

PIAA Reliability In Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2001, 04:15 PM

I must call into question PIAA's reliability. To be more specific, one of my fog lights has burned out. I just noticed today. The fogs and the headlights are less than a year old. The kicker is that I don't usually drive at night and I should not have that many hours on them.

My GF's car has a PIAA fog light kit on it. I replaced the relay on it because it went out as well. That alone was $60. It was less than a year old, too.

What's up with that?

The PIAA lights work well, but for the price and the actual number of hours you can use them leaves much to be desired.

I'm going to start shopping around for a different brand for they have definetly lost a customer.
Old 06-30-2001, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
I must call into question PIAA's reliability. To be more specific, one of my fog lights has burned out. I just noticed today. The fogs and the headlights are less than a year old. The kicker is that I don't usually drive at night and I should not have that many hours on them.

My GF's car has a PIAA fog light kit on it. I replaced the relay on it because it went out as well. That alone was $60. It was less than a year old, too.

What's up with that?

The PIAA lights work well, but for the price and the actual number of hours you can use them leaves much to be desired.

I'm going to start shopping around for a different brand for they have definetly lost a customer.
I have PIAA super plasma headlights. Ive had them for a little over a year and, knock on wood, they are still working fine. I do a moderate amout of night time driving.
Old 06-30-2001, 07:54 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I work for a PIAA dealer and have the superwhites in my Maxima just over 2.5 months with no problem. PIAA's warranty is 1st year over the counter exchange. Take the bulb(s) back where you bought them and they should exchange them. If they give you **** about it, call up PIAA and they will exchange it for you through the mail.
Old 06-30-2001, 09:20 PM

i had my PIAA xtreme whites for a month, and my left one went out.

im using my freinds ghetto lukz bulbs right now. the piaa has a 1year warranty, but my problem is that, i dont have a receipt, bought it off ebay =\

maximadave, any ideas?
Old 06-30-2001, 09:44 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I'm at a different Tweeter store right now doing inventory.....
I have to go into work tomorrow morning at 6am and I'll get the number to PIAA for you and try to do an exchange for you...
Dont buy PIAA bulbs on Ebay!!
Maximadave
Old 06-30-2001, 10:32 PM

I plan on calling somebody Monday morning AM. This is simply unexceptable for the money I paid for the bulbs.
Old 06-30-2001, 10:51 PM

yeah my friend had the same prob with piaa and it seemed to go out all the time...thats why i didnt spend the money on them, didnt want them to go out on me
Old 07-01-2001, 12:45 AM

any issues like that with the polargs? i was just about to buy some PIAA h3 for my fogs. if their going to die, i just assume purchase polargs. suggestions?
Old 07-01-2001, 12:47 AM

I had plasmas in my car, driver side burned out after only like 5 mo. so i got hid's now... And hey serin you want my platinum h3's or not???

Adam
Old 07-01-2001, 12:48 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by serin
any issues like that with the polargs? i was just about to buy some PIAA h3 for my fogs. if their going to die, i just assume purchase polargs. suggestions?

well i got a pair of polarg b1 eurostyles (h4) in my maxima and have had them for about a year now. my cousin gave them to me and he ran them for about 6 months before they were handed to me. the output isnt as white/ blue as id like but it is significantly better than stock (color / illumination). id trust polarg bulbs
Old 07-01-2001, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by 2000MaximaSE
I had plasmas in my car, driver side burned out after only like 5 mo. so i got hid's now... And hey serin you want my platinum h3's or not???

Adam
just gonna email you bout paypal. thanks for the offer, but i think i'll be trying polargs now, unless i read something to the contrary.
Old 07-01-2001, 05:27 AM

PIAA

Hmm, I've had PIAA in my lows and fogs on my Z for 2 years now, lots of night driving and never a problem. Prior to that, I had them for 3 years in my Subaru and they never burned out.
I agree PIAAs are a bit overpriced, but they are the best.
Are you sure you are not touching the bulb somehow when you install it? The oil from your skin weakens the integrity of the bulb and causes early burnout.
Old 07-01-2001, 09:29 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

One thing you have to be careful is DO NOT touch the bulb with your fingers, the oils on your fingers will destroy the bulb when the bulb heats up and then the bulb goes out. Some people do not realize this. Let me know the mfg's part number and I'll see if I can get a replacement for you. Since I work for a PIAA dealer if anyone else needs some let me know. Let me know also your city and state where you live, I might be able to exchange it for you at a Tweeter store near you.............

Maximadave
Old 07-01-2001, 11:05 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

as dave said, NEVER ever touch the glass part of the bulb or u can bet theyll fry real fast. if you do happen to get the glass in contact with anything, wipe it with rubbing alcohol. btw one t hing u might wanna know about the polargs is that they are neither DOT or SAE legal, though i do not think you'll need to worry about that since the color isnt wild enough even to draw attention from milpitas cops!
Old 07-01-2001, 01:15 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

MaximaZero..........I love your pics at the end of your post!!!
Old 07-01-2001, 01:19 PM

What is a Tweeter store?

I was careful not to touch the bulbs with my hands. I handled the bulbs with rags.
Old 07-01-2001, 07:29 PM

What is a Tweeter store?

I was careful not to touch the bulbs with my hands. I handled the bulbs with rags.
ack, i think touching the bulbs with anything is bad.

i think you were supposed to install it holding the metal base.
Old 07-01-2001, 08:38 PM
PhatGuy

My PIAA fog burnt out tonight too! Had it for about 3 months now! POS! The store I bought them from better hook up a replacement instead of this mailing in crap.

Aside from that it is a real pain to change the bulbs on my Max! 3 months is unacceptable. I'm going to try to return/replace it from the shop I purchased them at. If they don't I guess I gotta do the mail-in nonesense...which looks to be very subjective based on their "warranty" info. Let me know how it goes for you?

What's up with that?