5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nothing but Issues....Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 06:00 AM

Nothing but Issues....Help!

Seems as of late my car is having the worse luck.

First my story begins with someone trying to steal the headlights resulting in a bent hood and cracked light. Got light replaced and hood fixed, but now the hood is off kilter and rattles and squeaks whenever i got over a bump, so as we speak it has been brought back to the body shop to get fixed.

Battery needed replacing so bought one from AAA, 3 year warranty and then prorated for another 3-4 years ($106.95). I work for AAA so won't be a problem at all if it needs replacing. This one i understand is general maint. so it was no biggie.

Had tires put on a month or two ago ($800+). They did the alignment but when i got car back, there steering wheel was a bit off. Took it back and they re-did the alignment but told me it was because the strut was bent. So i lived with it.

Now i think i may have a bad wheel bearing because as i drive in a straight line, i hear a whump-whump sound that goes faster as i increase speed. if i open the windows i hear a click-click noise that correlates to the whump noise. at first i thought it was a rock or nail in tire, but i couldn't be so fortunate for a easy problem. (anyclue how much mechanic will charge to fix or replace?)

Also, i need to replace rotors and pads (warped to hell). decided i will do Brembo rotors but what is a good pad to use? or should i go OEM? also i may have to wait til a lil after Christmas to do the brakes, is there any reason other than being annoyed when i brake that i should get it done sooner?
Old 11-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Play with my balls

The sound that you hear could be directly related to the warped rotors. I would suggest replacing those first with brembo blanks and hawk hp pads. You would be able to narrow down your issue to see if it truly is a bearing problem.

Don't let the alignment shop bullsheit you. Take your car back and get them to straighten your steering wheel. They can definately do it, if it was straight when you went in, no reason it shouldn't be straight when you leave. If they still say it can't be, make a deal with them. Tell them that you will take it somewhere else and if they can do it, then you want them to refund your alignment money and pay for what it cost the new shop to straighten it for you since they're so adamant about it. This is my biggest peeve when anyone does my alignment. I hate my wheel not being centered.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:00 AM

Yea i thought it could be the rotors as well but at this point i really don't know. Well i just need tomake it til after christmas shopping is over with so i can start making moves...
Old 11-21-2006, 03:50 PM

Well i got my car back from the body shop and after a couple pieces of rubber. teh gawd awful hood rattling has gone away. seems that when i got into my accident a year or so ago, they never put the rubber back on the radiator support area. its like a new car all over again :-)

now i gotta look into teh wheel bearing issue and rotors... i was thinking of just getting rotors and pads from a Pep Boys or someother auto store....