5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Thinking of buying a 01 max...HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 06:45 PM

Thinking of buying a 01 max...HELP PLEASE

hey guys,
i have been car shopping for a while now, and so far i am trying to get a RELIABLE car that is a little sporty. I cant find any preludes, celicas, or nice integras that have not modifed...I came across a 01 maxima.
2001 maxima
SE - black with grey leather
5 speed
85,000 Miles
10,000$ obo

the problem with the car is that it needs a o2 sensor replaced. I talked to the owner, and he said that he already placed the 3/4 o2 sensors. He even had to replace 2 of them right after buying the car brand new! This last o2 sensor that needs to be replaced is supposed to cost like 1000 bucks or something...

i wanted a car that was relaible, but also a little fast. the max in a 5 speed is realy fast, but i am not so sure how reliable it can be with high miles...after doing some research, it seems that replacing the o2 sensors and catalytic converter are inevitable, and the audio head unit acts wierd...and a buncha other crap that goes bad sooner or later. I am a college student, and I dont have the doe to spend on random things that go wrong. I drove my volvo wagon from 0-120,000 miles and only probs i had was stupid things with the window. Is this car for me??? Or should i look into something else??

also...i'm going to test drive this bad boy tommorow, so can anyone tell me what i should look for? if the guy is telling me that all 4 o2 sensors will be replaced after this last one, should i stay away form this car??

sorry for the long post....but I really need some help.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

the O2 sensors are a problem that you will have to live with them. As far as an 01, go with an 02-03.. more HP for the money. I have an 01, no regrets or major repairs but If I were you I would go with the 02-03 models.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:58 PM

ok....but after i fix this last o2 sensor, will i need to replace them again?? or is it just a one time thing?

what else should i expect that is very likely to happen?

and the hp on this 01 is enough for me!
Old 12-22-2006, 07:06 PM
2002 maxima se

$10k is little high for 01 max 5spd with 85k. the 02 sensors would not be the only issue in that car. you must find out if the mass airflow meter=MAF, Coils, plugs etc was ever replaced. because the current mileage it has it will definitely need these parts sooner or right after 100k. these random parts do cost hella bucks so make sure to always have some money saved up. 02 sensors are not big deal you can replace all 4 by spending $400+labor or you can do it youself its easy as plug and play. make sure to find out if the tranny was ever serviced or flushed because transmission is the main part that you should be considering about. i own 01 too it has 120k runs like new because i have replaced all the parts that i just mentioned above. if you were looking for an auto i would sell mine for less than 10k. goodluck.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:10 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by baseer
ok....but after i fix this last o2 sensor, will i need to replace them again?? or is it just a one time thing?

what else should i expect that is very likely to happen?

and the hp on this 01 is enough for me!
dont rush with the sale. 02 sensors last for 60k to 80k and yes you will have to replace then again if you still had the car. if you are not worried about HP then 00-01 is good choice for money but make sure to find one that has been previously serviced. and dont forget to find out about those electric parts i mentioned in my other post.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Try to go with a 02-03 body style. the 01 was the first redesign and the ironed out alot of issues in the 02-03 models. As for O2 sensors, its something Nissan hasnt ever really been able to get a handle on. Its been there in almost all the Maxima's I replaced 3 of the 4 on my 97 GLE but the fourth one isnt used for fuel or emmisions management so i didn't bother fixing it. But i would never drive anything else. except mabey a M45x
Old 12-23-2006, 08:16 AM

My suggestion, if this is the car you want , take it to your mechanic for a PPI , Spend the $100-150 and you will have a good idea on the overall condition.
PPI is Pre Purchase Inspection.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MightyMaximus
Try to go with a 02-03 body style. the 01 was the first redesign and the ironed out alot of issues in the 02-03 models. As for O2 sensors, its something Nissan hasnt ever really been able to get a handle on. Its been there in almost all the Maxima's I replaced 3 of the 4 on my 97 GLE but the fourth one isnt used for fuel or emmisions management so i didn't bother fixing it. But i would never drive anything else. except mabey a M45x
Get your facts straight... 00 was the redesign NOT 01. If anything after lurking in the forums for about 6 months I would say that the most reliable are either the 01 or the 03. But all are GREAT cars in the end.

10k is a descent price but I am sure you can get that down a few hundred more bucks.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:21 PM

You're going to get alot of biased information from a Maxima Enthusiest forum. All cars have their problems and the Maxima is far from being bulletproof. (Yes, you WILL have have maintaince costs with this vehicle. ) I can say that you will probably not have any internal engine problems unless you buy a 3.5, they seem to be built pretty strong.
10k for a Manual SE with 80K seems about a grand or two to high for me. Weather it's coming from a private party or a dealership will make a big difference in price. Put into retrospect last year at this time I bought a 2000 Auto (yes autos do have a better resale value) GLE with 58K for 10,200. That was far from "stealing" it. Being a year later you could compare that to an 01 today. Being that you want a manual you have tremendous bargaining power, especially if this is from a private party who is paying listing fees and watching his vehicle depreciate while looking for a buyer. Generally speaking, younger people are the only ones who drive manual transmissions, and the Maxima typically either isn't in their price range or not quite sporty enough.
For the informed:
Try www.endumds.com, www.carsurvey.org, www.jdpower.com, www.kbb.com, www.mycarstats.com, www.carfax.com (MAKE SURE YOU GET A CARFAX BEFORE BUYING), and some others I'm probably fogretting.
Some of these, like www.carsurvey.org for example have no bonds with anybody and the reports are of people like me and you just reporting if we're happy or not with the car.
When looking at cars remember that all manufactuers have good and bad vehicles. No one brand is superior to the other and some of the domestic vehicles are just as reliable as the asian imports.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:30 PM

$10k is very high for an 01 with that mileage. I bought my '01 GXE with 45,000 miles on it for $10k, and that was back in Sept. '05. Get the seller to reduce the price or go for a 5.5 gen.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by oldmanshirt
$10k is very high for an 01 with that mileage. I bought my '01 GXE with 45,000 miles on it for $10k, and that was back in Sept. '05. Get the seller to reduce the price or go for a 5.5 gen.
Location has alot to do with it. 10k sounds about right for the NorthEast. I was looking to sell my 01 with 55k a few months back and got many interested calls and my asking was 12k for a FULLY LOADED 01. I'm sure that had I not decided to keep this car (the having no payments made me keep it). I would have sold for 11k at the very least. AGAIN Northeast pricing.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Buying 2001

Originally Posted by baseer
hey guys,
i have been car shopping for a while now, and so far i am trying to get a RELIABLE car that is a little sporty. I cant find any preludes, celicas, or nice integras that have not modifed...I came across a 01 maxima.
2001 maxima
SE - black with grey leather
5 speed
85,000 Miles
10,000$ obo

the problem with the car is that it needs a o2 sensor replaced. I talked to the owner, and he said that he already placed the 3/4 o2 sensors. He even had to replace 2 of them right after buying the car brand new! This last o2 sensor that needs to be replaced is supposed to cost like 1000 bucks or something...

i wanted a car that was relaible, but also a little fast. the max in a 5 speed is realy fast, but i am not so sure how reliable it can be with high miles...after doing some research, it seems that replacing the o2 sensors and catalytic converter are inevitable, and the audio head unit acts wierd...and a buncha other crap that goes bad sooner or later. I am a college student, and I dont have the doe to spend on random things that go wrong. I drove my volvo wagon from 0-120,000 miles and only probs i had was stupid things with the window. Is this car for me??? Or should i look into something else??

also...i'm going to test drive this bad boy tommorow, so can anyone tell me what i should look for? if the guy is telling me that all 4 o2 sensors will be replaced after this last one, should i stay away form this car??

sorry for the long post....but I really need some help.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!
I have a 2001 with 74,000 miles on it. Had to replace MAF at 65,000. OS sensors a problem. Other then that everything else OK.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Banned

I just bought a 2001 GLE FULLY LOADED WITH 70k miles from the stealership for $12,000 after everything
Old 12-26-2006, 12:15 PM

if you want a car that's totally trouble free get an accord or something. Maximas are reliable in that you'll probably get to and from work every day but as far as trouble free... not these cars. There's always something little to fix.