5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Roadkill: 300ZX

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 04:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Coming home from my bi-weekly poker game last night around midnight, I passed a 300zx (most recent generation). As I approached from behind, I could see he had modified exhaust and the TT spoiler. He immediately moved over to let me pass - looked like he was on the phone with window down. I gave it a little gas so he could hear the intake and blew by him.

Thirty seconds later I see his lights come up behind me. He keeps coming as if he's going to fly by me. In anticipation of a butt kicking (my butt since I though it was TT), I drop down into 3rd at 80 mph. He doesn't slow, so I punch it as he gets to my rear bumper.

As I accelerate, he pulls to my driver door and then we basically pull evenly. Maybe he pulls a hair on me the rest of the way through third. I'm thinking at this point, he isn't a turbo. I shift into fourth right near redline. In fourth, I slowly walk away from him so that by 120, I've gained a car length. He gives and backs off.

Felt great! For those who think the Y isn't worth it - there is no doubt that I lose that race without it!!
Old 07-03-2001, 06:25 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
I beat a 300ZX NA w/o a problem. It was in traffic, but I got out into open road faster, and he called it quits after a while....NA isn't as fast as TT....The TT Auto...hmm...thats something to think about.

-Peace
The Auto 300ZXTT is faster from 0-100 than the 5spd 300ZXTT...strange but true.
Old 07-03-2001, 08:52 AM
PhatGuy

The fact he had a modded exhaust makes it even a better kill. He will be working on his car this week for sure!

Originally posted by Max_Gator
Coming home from my bi-weekly poker game last night around midnight, I passed a 300zx (most recent generation). As I approached from behind, I could see he had modified exhaust and the TT spoiler. He immediately moved over to let me pass - looked like he was on the phone with window down. I gave it a little gas so he could hear the intake and blew by him.

Thirty seconds later I see his lights come up behind me. He keeps coming as if he's going to fly by me. In anticipation of a butt kicking (my butt since I though it was TT), I drop down into 3rd at 80 mph. He doesn't slow, so I punch it as he gets to my rear bumper.

As I accelerate, he pulls to my driver door and then we basically pull evenly. Maybe he pulls a hair on me the rest of the way through third. I'm thinking at this point, he isn't a turbo. I shift into fourth right near redline. In fourth, I slowly walk away from him so that by 120, I've gained a car length. He gives and backs off.

Felt great! For those who think the Y isn't worth it - there is no doubt that I lose that race without it!!

Old 07-04-2001, 09:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nissan needs lessons from Honda on how tobuild transmissions.

-Peace

auto's faster because with auto, it's much more easier to launch the car...without losing grip...

maybe the car was a N/A with a TT spoiler.
the N/A 300z pulled only around 160-170 on the dyno...
Old 07-04-2001, 09:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Too bad thats not the case on a Maxima auto...but bah screw my Max...I love my S4..
well...if we had TT, that would probably be the close call...but then, we have front wheel drive...hehe..
Old 07-04-2001, 10:21 AM
PhatGuy

Avalon Racing has a one NA auto 300zx as a show car. Tons and tons of mods on it and it puts out around 210 at the wheels! Saw it earlier this summer at the International Z convention.

Originally posted by irvine78

auto's faster because with auto, it's much more easier to launch the car...without losing grip...

maybe the car was a N/A with a TT spoiler.
the N/A 300z pulled only around 160-170 on the dyno...

Old 07-04-2001, 06:35 PM
nc00max

160-170 at the wheels? Anyone know how much it weighs?

Old 07-05-2001, 01:18 AM

what is NA???
Old 07-05-2001, 06:30 AM

Well, before racing, I thought it was a TT because of the spoiler. I couldn't see whether it had "twin turbo" written below the spoiler because it was dark.

The race was essentially from about an 80 mph roll. I think all of us 5spd guys would agree that is the strongest point to roll from (in 3rd gear). Since we were about dead even through top of 3rd, it had to be putting down about 200 - 210 to the wheels.

If a heavily modded NA puts 210 to the wheels, that is probably what it was. I thought out of the box they were 225 or so but guess they have big time loss.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by Max_Gator

NA Zs are usually always sluggish because people don't know how to take care of them (Overengineering concept), and many of them are not up to spec. If he actually had a performance exhaust (HKS/Greddy/Stillen/Genie/etc). He would have given you a better run. Now if you tangled w/ a Auto TT (92-96) (stock), you wouldn't even come close to a challenge w/ him (expecially on the highway) TTs are deadly on the highway, spool baby spool :-).
Old 07-05-2001, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Coz(Chicago)

spool baby spool :-).
Yeah, that's what that clown in the TT said when I boxed him in a traffic lane then smoked him. I could hear his turbines wine down.

It's skill baby, not speed, all skill
Old 07-05-2001, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by VeggieH8R

Yeah, that's what that clown in the TT said when I boxed him in a traffic lane then smoked him. I could hear his turbines wine down.

It's skill baby, not speed, all skill
We'll it depends on both. If you had any TT Car w/ a unskillful driver Vs. Honda Civic w/ a skillfull driver, I'm sure the TT vehicle w/ take it 99% of the time.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:16 PM

Re: Here we go again!

Well... I thought I dropped it when I deleted my post.

Check your PMs.

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Your bringing that up again????? What is your problem?

PM next time when you want to know my thoughts on that z24 crash issue...please! Since you are one of his lil NY racing buddies I guess you are here to defend and/or beat a dead horse. But since you asked:
  • No one was racing in a construction zone
  • No one crashed
  • A joke was not made out of it
  • He wasn't going out specifically looking for races ie. DPA or whatever you call it. Especially with a Milenia or Z24!

Can it be left here or do you need to bring that all up again?
Old 07-05-2001, 02:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

NA means Naturally Aspirated. No forced induction.

Spiro