5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Accident/Insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:04 AM

Accident/Insurance question

I know alot of you sometimes talk about "getting a free body kit" after an accident, how does that work?

I got hit in the rear (while parked) last night, and got a report from the SHU security stating it was the other guys fault. I went to a few body shops, and they quoted me from 500-700 dollars to repair the dent. (which is way too much since the dent is the size of a basketball on my rear bumper)

Now how can I make him pay me the 700 dollars and than I can pick up a rear bumper at a junk yard, and than spend the rest of the money on a stillen kit? Or is that me being too optimistic.

And what happens if I go through his insurance, and how do I even go through his insurance? And will my rates rise?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:21 AM
Don't you know who I am?

If you go through your insurance, there is a chance your rates will rise, though a slim one if there is video footage of the incident via a security camera. Insurance is tricky, it is different in many states.

Where I live in CT, YOU can't file a claim with his insurance. He has to file it for you. All you can do is file the claim with your own insurance and then your insurance company will sue the party at fault which ultimately forces him to go through his insurance to pay for the accident, and then you get re-imbursed the deductable (if you're insurance is able to recover it, which in a clear fault case is always true). In order to get money from the insurance company, you have to have an adjuster come out and look at your car. Not really sure how they decide the amount, but they assess damage and either write you a check or pay for the repairs once they are done.

When I had my accident, my car wasn't drivable. It had to get towed to a shop where it was assessed and then the shop immediately began working on it. The check I received from all-state (party-at-fault's insurance) was made out to me, but I already owed the body shop for the fix. Seemed like the shop and the adjuster came to an agreement on the price. I don't know if you can get an adjuster to come to your house and then just write a check like they used to, but in that case, you get whatever the adjuster is willing to offer, body shop quotes won't matter too much. But if the adjuster comes out and says it's 700 bucks of damage, then writes a check to your name, that's how it's done.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by GETukrainian
And will my rates rise?
If you're not at fault, your insurance rates will not rise.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
If you're not at fault, your insurance rates will not rise.
This is the general rule, but it isn't always followed. I know a good number of people who claimed to their own insurance for accidents that were not their fault, and their rates did rise. It depends on the insurance company, I believe GEICO is the one I recall.

I believe 4myswee (a 6th gen owner) posted in the general maxima discussion about an experience she had where her rates changed for an accident that was not her fault.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Your rates can go up from an accident that is not your fault if you have your insurance payout to speed up the repair and they don't get paid out by the other insurance company for what ever reason.

Always go through someone elses insurance...
Old 01-30-2007, 12:01 PM

BTW....

New bumper cover, possibly new pad, labor, paint and blending is an easy $700 job.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
This is the general rule, but it isn't always followed. I know a good number of people who claimed to their own insurance for accidents that were not their fault, and their rates did rise. It depends on the insurance company, I believe GEICO is the one I recall.

I believe 4myswee (a 6th gen owner) posted in the general maxima discussion about an experience she had where her rates changed for an accident that was not her fault.
Yes it was me. Good memory Rydicule! I guess someone has to pay for their gecko?!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:51 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
Yes it was me. Good memory Rydicule! I guess someone has to pay for their gecko?!
Yeah, I deal with the gecko myself, that's why I remembered. But, just to add insult to injury, I had to accidents this year, one to my 99 max which got me into the 02 (not my fault), and then the rental car I was driving around because of THAT acccident got hit in a parking lot, which I had to claim to my insurance to pay for. How did all this effect my insurance rates?

They went down.

I'm not complaining. The Aussie gecko has been good to me.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:50 AM

I'm not sure if this is a NJ thing or not, but when i was rear ended last year, my insurance rates went up. Clearly not my fault, I didn't get a ticket, and the other guy's insurance paid for damages. But my insurance still went up. My insurance said I'm a higher risk. Such BS.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by owais
I'm not sure if this is a NJ thing or not, but when i was rear ended last year, my insurance rates went up. Clearly not my fault, I didn't get a ticket, and the other guy's insurance paid for damages. But my insurance still went up. My insurance said I'm a higher risk. Such BS.

Time to switch insurance companies... BTW who do you have?

So I know to stay away from them.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:15 AM

Mine went up and the accident wasnt my fault - however after 6 mos it went back down again..its stupid and I guess thats how they make (more) money.

Ive got progressive btw...they've been good to me and I wont switch..besides everyone else quotes me alot higher than what Ive got - so its not like I havent tried..