5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sway Bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:39 PM

Sway Bar bushings

I was looking at the suspension sticky and saw that instead of a rear sway bar you can get these rear trailing arm bushings that will help stiffen the rear end. i plan on autocrossing this summer and have a fstb and eibachs with tokicos and i was wondering if i should get either front sway bar bushings or these rear trailing arm bushings or both and the effect they would have separate or together/if they are worth it?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 01:37 PM

Also, would it be more effective for handling if i got rear wheel spacers or these bushings?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Cletus

the RSB (rear sway bar) will be your best bet if you plan on getting one thing.
the RSB + bushings would be best.

since you plan to auto-x, i would also suggest a LTB (lower tie bar) http://www.mattblehm.com/suspension.htm
Old 03-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get every ES bushing you can and install them along with the rear swaybar....

/ thread.

Really though, poly bushings and Motormounts help stiffen the car a lot. The spacers are really just a cosmetic mod (unless they help clear a BBK).
Old 03-06-2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
since you plan to auto-x, i would also suggest a LTB (lower tie bar) http://www.mattblehm.com/suspension.htm

Waiting on the Stage II that will clear headers...
Old 03-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Waiting on the Stage II that will clear headers...
i cant tell a diffirence between my stage 1 and josh's (irish) stage 2.

actually, neither stage will fit with headers. its the front bar thats the problem
Old 03-06-2007, 01:59 PM

i cant tell a diffirence between my stage 1 and josh's (irish) stage 2.
not positive on what ur saying.... are you saying you cant feel a difference in the handling performance of the two because you drove both? just asking cuz i always wondered if there was a big difference between the two...
Old 03-06-2007, 02:01 PM

do the front sway bar bushings make a good difference?
Will the Rear bushings by themselves stiffen the rear noticeably enough to make them worthwhile?
Old 03-06-2007, 02:03 PM

Basically its like this. I cant put more than 100 max more into my car cause i need to save more for school. i just want a few or one more little things that would give me the best bang for my buck in the handeling department before i start the next auto-x season. I am a little worried about understeer which is why i was looking at rear end stiffness. with the tokico's set at 4 front 5 rear and eibachs will i have much of an issue?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:14 PM

front sway bar bushings=not a huge difference but not to hard to install, or so im told

rear trailing arms=big difference, but a pita to install, i didn't install my own

rsb=huge difference and easy to install, did mine in about an hour without a life and with handtools.

all 3 ftw
Old 03-06-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
front sway bar bushings=not a huge difference but not to hard to install, or so im told

rear trailing arms=big difference, but a pita to install, i didn't install my own

rsb=huge difference and easy to install, did mine in about an hour without a life and with handtools.

all 3 ftw

I hope that is a typo... I think that should say "lift".
Old 03-07-2007, 12:01 PM

I would get a rear sway bar but im afraid of the "snap oversteer" that ive heard it can create especially with lowered suspension. is this true and if so how bad is it?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by IloveVQ
I would get a rear sway bar but im afraid of the "snap oversteer" that ive heard it can create especially with lowered suspension. is this true and if so how bad is it?
the benefit far outweighs the drawback...if you are a good driver and are aware of how the car will act. never been as issue with me (lowered with RSB and FSTB or after addition of LTB)
Old 03-07-2007, 02:58 PM

I'm still apprehensive because although i consider myself a good driver i am only 17 and there is no substitute for experience. i fear that in an emergency situation like a fast lane change or something of that sort i will lose control/spin out of control more easily with the rsb. Will the ltb give the same type of gains? i realize this is a front end bar, but again if making the rear end stiffer makes it less safe, i am weary about it. also will i see major improvement in overall handling with the rsb and eibach and tokico versus just the eibach and tokico (keep in mind the settings of 4 front 5 rear)?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:18 PM

Also are there different stiffnesses of sway bars for the max like one brand is stiffer than another or thicker or are they all the same?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Cletus

Also are there different stiffnesses of sway bars for the max like one brand is stiffer than another or thicker or are they all the same?
they all do the same thing
Old 03-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Cletus

I'm still apprehensive because although i consider myself a good driver i am only 17 and there is no substitute for experience. i fear that in an emergency situation like a fast lane change or something of that sort i will lose control/spin out of control more easily with the rsb. Will the ltb give the same type of gains? i realize this is a front end bar, but again if making the rear end stiffer makes it less safe, i am weary about it. also will i see major improvement in overall handling with the rsb and eibach and tokico versus just the eibach and tokico (keep in mind the settings of 4 front 5 rear)?
at least you realize that you dont have a lot of experience. very few young drivers do that and they drive beyond their means.

suspension mods + experience = avoiding accidents. there have been many times were I had to make evasive maneuvers on the roads. im pretty sure that other drivers in other cars would not have been able to avoid an accident. autocrossing does wonders for learning how to make sudden movements to keep your car in control. you learn how you and the car work together.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:25 PM

Will i do fine in auto-x without the rear sway bar do you think?
Also, will the ltb show noticeable gains on top of springs strut and a fstb?
BTW thanks for all your help.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Cletus

Will i do fine in auto-x without the rear sway bar do you think?
Also, will the ltb show noticeable gains on top of springs strut and a fstb?
BTW thanks for all your help.
you dont NEED the RSB to auto-x. it just helps when combined with lowering. i had the RSB on my unlowered 00 and it was still a huge difference....keeps the rear planted because it prevents the huge body roll when cornering.
i dont know how the LTB would work by itself...i installed mine after i was lowered and had the RSB and LTB.
i think that each single thing works better when combined with the others.