5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Needed Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Needed Maintenance

Hi,

My 2k2 max has 78K on it - the 30 or 60k service has not been done yet.

I took it to the dealer for an oil change and they noted the following:

-- 60K service (this does not include an transmission service, but instead a minor tune up involving checking plugs, wires and distributor cap)
-- Engine oil flush (I have never heard of this)
-- Transmission flush
-- replace drive belts
-- replace micro filter, air filter, and wiper blades.

They wanted to charge close to $600 for this service. I refused and paid for only the oil change.

Now, I want to plan my service. I want to replace the micro filter, air filter and wiper blades. Probably, I could replace the drive belts - if it is not too diffficult -- i have not yet seen the instructions).

I would then want to do the transmission service and the oil flush if I understand what they mean. According to the dealers, there is a lot of gunk and dirt in the pans and they need to flash everything out.

From what I read here and other forums, these flushes are not recommended for such high mileages, particularly since they have never been done. What is the consensus: flush or change oils

I would appreciate your comments,

rgds, MN
Old 03-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Cletus

-- 60K service (this does not include an transmission service, but instead a minor tune up involving checking plugs, wires and distributor cap) you can do all that yourself for a lot cheaper
-- Engine oil flush (I have never heard of this) not needed
-- Transmission flush not needed but if you want to do it, it would be cheaper at a transmission shop
-- replace drive beltsyou can do that yourself for a lot cheaper
-- replace micro filter, air filter, and wiper blades.you can do all that yourself for a lot cheaper

in my opinion, only warranty work should be done at a nissan dealership
Old 03-06-2007, 03:52 PM

^^ agreed. You can do the tranny fluid flush yourself as well. it's fairly easy to do. As for the drive belts, look here: http://www.greghome.com/Greg%27s%20G...xSE/2K2UDP.htm

He gives detailed instructions when you click on that link for the '99 maxima.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
in my opinion, only warranty work should be done at a nissan dealership
I 100% agree with that. Most scheduled maintenance besides fluid changes is just inspection, like brakes and belts. Fluid changes are usually done at a flat rate by most shops.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by kenshi
I 100% agree with that. Most scheduled maintenance besides fluid changes is just inspection, like brakes and belts. Fluid changes are usually done at a flat rate by most shops.
exactly...even in the owners manual in the maintenance schedule, it says "inspect" for most things. you are paying the dealership to simply look at something. they will charge you around 2 hours of labor plus the parts they claim needed to be replaced.
im not saying the dealership is dishonest...im saying they are a business trying to make money. 90% of car owners pay it...im not one of them.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Noela
Hi,

My 2k2 max has 78K on it - the 30 or 60k service has not been done yet.

I took it to the dealer for an oil change and they noted the following:

-- 60K service (this does not include an transmission service, but instead a minor tune up involving checking plugs, wires and distributor cap)
If a dealer said they were going to check my plug wires and distributor cap I would walk out.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by RLW001
If a dealer said they were going to check my plug wires and distributor cap I would walk out.
RL, that was what really made me curious ...i saw that, and just concluded that they are cheats. This was at Cherry Hill Nissan, in south Jersey. Avoid them !!

I will do the blades and filters, and probably get the OEM belts and have another trusted mechanic do those, if i am unable to.

regards to all.

Noela
Old 03-06-2007, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by RLW001
lol it's probably an updated flyer or something else like a service writer but it's definitely not a tech.