5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need help with Auto Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need help with Auto Climate Control

Well this started happening couple of days ago. I just can't figure out what's causing it. When I turn on the auto climate control and adjust it to 65 so the a/c would turn on. It stays on while i'm driving but when I stop at a light or on traffic, it turns the fan down to 1 and shuts off the a/c and starts blowing hot air. Almost as if it's real cold outside. And while this is going on, I check the AMB and it reads -22F. Once I start driving again, 20mph or above, the A/C kicks in again full blown and blows ice cold air. This keeps repeating the whole time i'm driving.

At times, the entire unit goes crazy. The mode starts going nuts, the fans starts going crazy as well. It's almost like someone is pushing all the buttons constantly. What could this be? Also, where are all the sensors located for the climate control? I know there's one tube that is attached to the dash right by the ignition key. I have no idea where the other ones are. Any help would be appreciated.

Update - I just drove the car for past 2 hours, it seems that it completely stopped working. When I press AMB, it shows -22F and the a/c doesn't turn on at all now. Only blows hot air.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:44 AM

You have a great start in identifying your problem -- The Max's AUTO A/C microprocessor will not command the compressor to engage if it thinks the ambient temp is -22 F. That kind of AMB reading usually means a open circuit condition which could be a broken wire, corroded connector, a bad AMB sensor or a failure he electronics that "read" the signal from the AMB sensor. Your AMB sensor is located just to the left of the A/C condenser on thr front of the car. You should be able to see it though the grill on the far left as you are facing the Max.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thank you so much for explaining it in a clear simple way. I will check everything out once I get home from work. I will let you know how it goes.

Originally Posted by allenmason
You have a great start in identifying your problem -- The Max's AUTO A/C microprocessor will not command the compressor to engage if it thinks the ambient temp is -22 F. That kind of AMB reading usually means a open circuit condition which could be a broken wire, corroded connector, a bad AMB sensor or a failure he electronics that "read" the signal from the AMB sensor. Your AMB sensor is located just to the left of the A/C condenser on thr front of the car. You should be able to see it though the grill on the far left as you are facing the Max.