5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Arrrrgh! First scratch!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 02:21 PM

This is my first scratch/ding on my passanegr door! I mean this is the very very first ever since I owned any car. I can see it from mile away. I am soooo p*****!

Is there any way I can remove it. I think the scratch is ver shallow. How do I buff it out?

I appreciate any help. This is real eyr-sore
Old 07-13-2001, 04:23 PM
Chillboy

Originally posted by HKMax
This is my first scratch/ding on my passanegr door! I mean this is the very very first ever since I owned any car. I can see it from mile away. I am soooo p*****!

Is there any way I can remove it. I think the scratch is ver shallow. How do I buff it out?

I appreciate any help. This is real eyr-sore
i feel your pain man... im not sure how to buff it out, but i suggest not getting touch up paints from the dealer. they suck.

Old 07-13-2001, 05:34 PM
Got Bent?

the first one hurts the most..... If it is a shallow scratch, just try some mild polish. Meguiars makes a fine cut cleaner that will take out light scratches. Follow up with a wax. If it is a little heavier, you can try a body scrub....careful with it though...
Old 07-13-2001, 08:14 PM

...it's friday the 13th...

I feel your pain. I was driving today and drove past a guy on a lawn mower and he blew rocks and crap on my car. Now I have many fine little pits in my paint on the right side. A rock even came in the window and hit the side of my face! Now I get to do some touch-up tomorrow, and hope I don't find anymore!!

The touch-up paint isn't great, for my color, it is not a perfect match, but it is better than leaving it exposed. I would try waxing/buffing, etc. first, but if no luck, you should get something on it. Also, a good "dent doctor" type place could probably get the dent out for less than $60 if it is that important to you. I know, I've already had to have two dents rubbed out of my roof...at considerably more expense and trouble (had to drop headliner and sunroof to get to them).

SOOO, I'll be glad when my car isn't "new" anymore...maybe then these incidents won't bother me so.

srm
Old 07-13-2001, 08:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i don't even know when/where i got my first one...
Old 07-13-2001, 08:30 PM

Re: ...it's friday the 13th...

Originally posted by Maxmann
I feel your pain. I was driving today and drove past a guy on a lawn mower and he blew rocks and crap on my car. Now I have many fine little pits in my paint on the right side. A rock even came in the window and hit the side of my face! Now I get to do some touch-up tomorrow, and hope I don't find anymore!!

The touch-up paint isn't great, for my color, it is not a perfect match, but it is better than leaving it exposed. I would try waxing/buffing, etc. first, but if no luck, you should get something on it. Also, a good "dent doctor" type place could probably get the dent out for less than $60 if it is that important to you. I know, I've already had to have two dents rubbed out of my roof...at considerably more expense and trouble (had to drop headliner and sunroof to get to them).

SOOO, I'll be glad when my car isn't "new" anymore...maybe then these incidents won't bother me so.

srm
I like your Maxima color.

I try to keep my max as nice as possible. Unfortunately the paint job is so bad that I got 100+ chips on my front bumper.

The touch up paint sucks! I'll never use it again.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:48 PM

Re: Re: ...it's friday the 13th...

Originally posted by GXE Spoiler

I try to keep my max as nice as possible. Unfortunately the paint job is so bad that I got 100+ chips on my front bumper.

Hey, if it is any consolation, the chips aren't noticeable from here (grin)!

I like the looks of those clears on the front...I've been wondering about making the change. Might go for it now that I see what it looks like on a merlot max.

I agree the touch up is pretty bad, but in most cases, it looks better than the alternative.

srm
Old 07-13-2001, 09:37 PM

Re: Re: ...it's friday the 13th...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GXE Spoiler

[/UOTE]

Hey man, just ordered clears for the front...can't wait! Yours was my inspiration. Really looks nice. Glad you had that pic posted!!!

srm
Old 07-13-2001, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by HKMax
Yep, no longer a virgin.

Happens to all of us at some point. Hasn't happened to me yet. The suspense is killing me!
Old 07-14-2001, 04:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: ...it's friday the 13th...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maxmann
Originally posted by GXE Spoiler

[/UOTE]

Hey man, just ordered clears for the front...can't wait! Yours was my inspiration. Really looks nice. Glad you had that pic posted!!!

srm
hehe...

My front clears came with yellow bulbs but it said on the box "For offroad or track use. Not intended for street driving."

Could have fooled me!
Old 07-14-2001, 12:18 PM

Well, while I'm at work, I always park my car far off by itself, and some idiot put her bags on my car while she was waiting for the bus.. The receptionist told me she saw this and I went outside and looked... There were about 4 finger lenth scratches on the right and left side of the trunk... I wanted to hit the receptionist for not telling me while the lady was there.. But i didn't.. Well I got Mother's scratch remover and used that.. Then used Meguire's 1,2,3 wax kit, and all the scratches are off.. Well except one.. I'll get that one off the next time I wax it... But I don't park my car over there anymore.. I found a new spot, not anywhere near the bus stop.
Old 07-16-2001, 06:39 PM

Thanks guys. I will try polishing/waxing. I hope it works!
Old 07-16-2001, 08:09 PM

Yeah i agree, touch up paint sucks

Originally posted by Chillboy

i feel your pain man... im not sure how to buff it out, but i suggest not getting touch up paints from the dealer. they suck.
I gave on the front bumper using Zaino Bros Z-2 and Z-5

There are so many rock chips, really big *** ones and thousand of little ones, I am Zaino-ing the hell out the reast of the car though.
For me it took 4 z-5 coats and 2 z-2 coats to get the WOW EFFECT!! one coat per day.