5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

tint

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:19 PM

tint

Hi friends! Happy holiday! Question.. I'm planning on tinting my Maxima tomorrow, (2002) and I have a question about it. I've noticed that our windows have a light factory film on them. I am new at tinting so this is just an experiment. If I screw up and have to strip the tint off, do I risk removing the factory film? I would try to remove it with the bag trick first, and if that doesn't work, I would result to a razor blade, but I am afraid of damaging that light factory tint that comes with the car. Any advice?

PS: I am not doing the back window, just the front and rear two side windows.

Thanks!
Oxygen
Old 05-27-2007, 05:24 PM
10 psi

factory tint is in the glass. if you have a film on there you should be able to tell. i tint for a living and to save your self a head ache, take it to someone with experience, trust me your car will look ghetto if you do it yourself.

btw don't use cheap film unless you like purple and faded windows. 3M colorstable is my personal choice.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:48 PM

i second that its worth it to pay a reputable shop to do it otherwise itll lookk like s***
Old 05-27-2007, 06:01 PM

unless you are a professional. it will get you really frustrated getting it right.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Which is better lumar or suntek?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:02 PM
10 psi

both are good. llumar has been around awhile and it always depends on what "level" you go with. stick with 3m it won't dissapoint.

i use some suntek hp/fx series, it will eventually fade but its easier to install and some people want tint as cheap as possible so thats what i use (lasts 3-5 years before changing color or fading). some people don't like suntek and say its cheap, i dissagree but to each there own. i think suntek hp looks better than 3m but 3m lasts longer.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:05 PM
10 psi

also, many bash on 3m a lot saying they think it fades etc. laugh at them because the reason they do that is because not everyone can buy 3m film, and when they are denied they go with solargaurd or llumar etc, also, 3m is a billion dollar company who always makes quality products, llumar went bankrupt 3 years ago. who do you want backing that warranty? lol
Old 05-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Banned

I VOTE for you to take it to a reputable shop...i got High performance tint, and it LOOKS BEAUTIFUL...not dull looking or purplish looking.... i have 15% all the way around, and 35% windshield
Old 05-27-2007, 10:23 PM

I'm just practicing to see how hard it is to do. I have patience, and time, so I'm going to see if it's really as hard as people say it is. I figured its worth a shot. If I mess it up, I won't be mad. I am def not doing the back window myself, lol. Thanks for the tips. I'll let ya know how it goes. I'm doing it just to learn.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm going with 3M next time around. I used sungard on my accord and it looked great for about 3yrs then it turned purple. Alot of the illegals around here in NM actually like the purple look on their pickups so I guess it just depends on the indivdual.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by glenmoormax
also, many bash on 3m a lot saying they think it fades etc. laugh at them because the reason they do that is because not everyone can buy 3m film, and when they are denied they go with solargaurd or llumar etc, also, 3m is a billion dollar company who always makes quality products, llumar went bankrupt 3 years ago. who do you want backing that warranty? lol
Can you see out of the mirrored tint normally at night? My sister had her patio doors tinted with some mirror tint and it worked fine in the day but had the reverse effect at night. Everyone could see in but you couldn't see out(mirrored on the inside). That's would be a drag in your auto.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:48 PM

Anyone have any tint pics? I am also thinking I will be tinting my windows, I am thinking 35% on the front and 20% on the rears...
Old 05-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by sc0tty8
Anyone have any tint pics?
im pretty sure people have tinted windows
im pretty sure people have posted pictures

do your own work (and not hijack someone else's thread). thank god you cant start your own thread yet.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
im pretty sure people have tinted windows
im pretty sure people have posted pictures

do your own work (and not hijack someone else's thread). thank god you cant start your own thread yet.

At least I can use the punctuation keys and my shift key to properly structure a sentence.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Need A Light?

uh-oh....
Old 05-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Cletus

At least I can use the punctuation keys and my shift key to properly structure a sentence.
sorry i didnt have a period at the end of each sentence. nice comeback though.

keep it up
sc0tty8
Newbie just Registered
Old 05-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Mass_Media™

But you are a n00b. Nobody cares about what you say..
Old 05-28-2007, 05:03 PM

i REALLY think you should take it to someone who knows what they are doing, your going to spend more $$$ buying and ripping it off. But it your $$$.
Goodluck with the tint job.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:21 PM

Being a noob means absolutely nothing on this board, a newbie may still have more knowledge then one with a higher post count. If you relate post count to knowledge, congratulations, I can post all the time and not know a thing.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by machinehead131
Being a noob means absolutely nothing on this board, a newbie may still have more knowledge then one with a higher post count. If you relate post count to knowledge, congratulations, I can post all the time and not know a thing.
but you never proved that you had any knowledge.
you hijacked a thread to ask for pictures.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:45 PM

Thanks for proving post count means nothing, self ownage FTW

He(machinehead131) did not ask for pics, I,(sc0tty8) did ask for pics. While you where busy trying to prove something, you owned yourself.

I wouldn't say that asking for pics is really a hi-jack, perhaps one may have had pics bookmarked or on their web site they would have posted for comparison.

Typically, threads are created for discussion, I, myself find when I am in a conversation, others typically ask a question to get a better understanding.

Here is an example of one having a pic close by to post in a tint thread.

This is 35% on the front and 5% on the remainder of the car.

I was simply inquiring if someone had any other pics of maximas that where tinted, I did a search, and all I found was a few cars with the "balla" 5% tint all around, and 1 with 50%/35%
Old 05-28-2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mass_Media
But you are a n00b. Nobody cares about what you say..

Obviously, someone cared enough to start some
Old 05-28-2007, 05:52 PM

I never hijacked a thread to ask for pictures?!?! lol
Old 05-28-2007, 06:35 PM
aaron lavigne FTG

wow noob starting drama what a surprise.. as for the tint. good luck but i have watched my tint guy tint a lo of cars and i would still never try it
Old 05-28-2007, 07:26 PM

wat!?!? dats crazy.. org members discouraging othr members? i've tinted my car myslf and for $40 it looks proffesional.. and i wudn hav 2 hav da hassle of payin sum1 $200 wen i can use dat to get sum food, gas, and clothes.. oxygen.. if ur realy a DIY person.. do it.. no1's stoppin u.. its FUN cus its OUR HOBBY to MOD OUR OWN CARS n not let sum1 do it for u.. wat kinda braggin rights or pride does any1 hav sayin thier car is better but thier hands neva did da dirty work.. ef that.. do it.. besides.. u learn more from ur own mistakes rather den havn sum1 step over u "teachn" u how to do things..

to othr .org members out there.. dont get offended.. this is juss the way mi mind works..

to oxygen.. do ur thing man.. keep up dat HARD EARNED work!
Old 05-28-2007, 07:36 PM

oh.. i forgot.. u askd for tips on how to do it LOL well.. at least u kno i got ur back now oxygen..

i tinted mi windows with the windows out the car.. cus i wantd mi windows covered every corner.. unlik how some ppl's tint dont go all the way to the edges on the side of the windows and it shows on the outside.. looks retarded imo

i didnt do the back window eithr BUT i took mi rear dash out.. removed the 3 tiedowns thingy-ma-jiggy, the bose sub cover.. and re-carpeted it black so it gives mi back window that darker look.. plus i hav black leather lookn forward to upgrade to the I35 rear dash tho with the pull-out curtain/shades ANY1 HAVE 1 FOR SALE 4 ME???

the 4rnt door windows are easy to wiggle out the door.. but the rear windows are a little tricky.. the rear windows need to b taken out anyways because of the little glass.. it is alot easier to tint the little glass with the rubber surround off.. and the sunroof is a piece of cake too.. juss make sure you are in a low dust room, hav a good squeegy, and a nice and sharp razor and some spare just in case.. POST PICS WEN UR DONE PLZ! if u do i will ;D :P not 2 b gay AHAHAH
Old 05-28-2007, 07:56 PM
is invisible

Old 05-28-2007, 08:03 PM
No More Maxipad

^^ you talk (type) so ghetto lol
Old 05-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Thinks he is fast

I have 15% Formula one ceramic tint and that stuff is awesome. One thing that I have been told is to stay away from dyed tints (the cheaper **** and old llumar) they fade and/or turn purple.

I would also not suggest doing the job on your own. It WILL look fux0red. I took my old tint off on my own which was a total PITA. I will pay someone to do it in the future. Good luck
Old 05-28-2007, 09:20 PM
10 psi

simply v i would like to see your 'professional' job... i bet it looks like crap, i have never seen a backyard job done good. another work of advice, don't go to a shop that does the whole, install radio/tint/paint protectant/ whatever shop, tint shops are just that, clean, not a ton of debris everywhere (at least the good ones) so that you don't get a ton of dirt piles, creased edges, light gaps that will end up getting painted in. do what you must, but for whatever your local tint shop will charge it would be worth it in my eyes to have it done by someone who has done it. it takes years for a tinter to get good. oh, btw the front doors on maximas aren't the easiest either, just an fyi. practice on a toyota prius, or a mazda 3, easy cars.

as for the house tint, its different than car tint. looking out of mirrored car tint is easy, it looks blueish looking out and it looks like crap.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:23 PM
10 psi

Originally Posted by maxspeedse02
I have 15% Formula one ceramic tint and that stuff is awesome. One thing that I have been told is to stay away from dyed tints (the cheaper **** and old llumar) they fade and/or turn purple.

I would also not suggest doing the job on your own. It WILL look fux0red. I took my old tint off on my own which was a total PITA. I will pay someone to do it in the future. Good luck

the ceramic shiz is a gimmic, but as for formula one its good film. it to is a dyed film however. all film is except the mirrored appearance. most high performance tint is metalized with a red and blue dye, thus the purple fade later on. the tint that never fades or turns purple is unkown how its made, but it doesn't contain any metal in the film. there is the tint lesson of the day lol.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:16 PM
No More Maxipad

i have v-kool brand on my front windshield and that $h** is expensive it was like $150 for windshield and $70 for sunroof =/ it's only 70% but it blocks out a ton of heat...blocks out more heat than the 20% quantum tint i use to have which was metallic...i would do the whole car with 40% (their darkest shade) but it would cost almost $650 lol my windshield now looks greenish which is pretty neat
Old 05-29-2007, 05:50 AM
Cletus

Thanks for proving post count means nothing, self ownage FTW

He(machinehead131) did not ask for pics, I,(sc0tty8) did ask for pics. While you where busy trying to prove something, you owned yourself.

I wouldn't say that asking for pics is really a hi-jack, perhaps one may have had pics bookmarked or on their web site they would have posted for comparison.

Typically, threads are created for discussion, I, myself find when I am in a conversation, others typically ask a question to get a better understanding.

Here is an example of one having a pic close by to post in a tint thread.

This is 35% on the front and 5% on the remainder of the car.

I was simply inquiring if someone had any other pics of maximas that where tinted, I did a search, and all I found was a few cars with the "balla" 5% tint all around, and 1 with 50%/35%
i win again

sc0tty8
Banned
Old 05-29-2007, 05:51 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by machinehead131
I never hijacked a thread to ask for pictures?!?! lol
disregard....
Old 05-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Nightmare = Reality

well, now i know why this got so many posts so fast...

as for tint. listen to the pro. If you're doing this for practice, i think an easier car would be the way to go. My friend did his MPV van at the time with 5% every window + 4" top section on the windshield. he said it was such a pain that he'd prolly never do it again, and used up something like 2.5times as much tint as he actually needed because of air bubbles and mis-cutting. when it was finished, it was tight as hell, but you get the idea.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:38 PM
10 psi

yeah the v-kool is ok, 2m has something simialar, i just don't see why spend lots of money for clear looking windows, even with the high heat rejection, i guess thats where personal choice comes into play, but yes it is great for heat rejection.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash
i have v-kool brand on my front windshield and that $h** is expensive it was like $150 for windshield and $70 for sunroof =/ it's only 70% but it blocks out a ton of heat...blocks out more heat than the 20% quantum tint i use to have which was metallic...i would do the whole car with 40% (their darkest shade) but it would cost almost $650 lol my windshield now looks greenish which is pretty neat
v-kool makes alot of sense for the sunroof for me. I like to get plenty of light but with 300 plus days of sun in the southwest your head will get cooked if you keep your sunroof shade open to much. I'm getting this done asap.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:51 PM

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00416.jpg
Drivers Door

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00417.jpg
Passenger Window

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00418.jpg
Rear Passenger Window

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00419.jpg
Rear Drivers Window

Drivers Side

Passenger Side (that white line isnt a scratch.. idk wtf it is but i need to clean it off)

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00423.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00432.jpg
Rear little glass

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00433.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00431.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00432.jpg
Drivers side edge/corners

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00425.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00421.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00427.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00426.jpg
Passenger Side edges/corners

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00434.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...v/DSC00415.jpg
Rear Dash

Glenmoormax.. is this comparable to your work? it doesn't look like crap at all and isn't done by a 'professional'. I did a driveway job.. i have no backyard :P My tint has NO scratches NOR peels NOR bubbles NOR dirt and my car is dirty.. theres my bragging rights and pride for ya.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:55 PM

oh i forgot one thing.. thats 35% tint.. just cheap Gila Ultrashield from AutoZone
Old 05-29-2007, 03:01 PM
10 psi

purple in less than 6 months for sure. some pics are really hard to tell anything is even on teh window, and the brick background reflections don't help, none the less if your happy with it that is all that matters.

Quick Reply: tint