5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just put the OSCAI back on. Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just put the OSCAI back on. Wow!

I performed this "mod" (if you can call that ) last year after I purchased the car because I'm a DIY type of person. Didn't have any good results so I threw it away when winter came about (bad winters here in NJ). So while boredom was getting the best of me today, I went to home depot, got some 4" wide flexible aluminum ducting hose, some couplers, and went to work.

Basically what I did last year was I had cut slight bottom part of the intake scoop (~5" long, 3" wide tube on the bottom of the scoop) and cut a 4" wide diameter hole on the bottom mud flap under the engine. There is sufficient space next to the battery, under the scoop for a 4" ducting hose. Attached one end to the sliced part of the scoop tube and other slightly through the flap.

I proceeded to go for a spirited drive and boy was I surprised. I don't know if it was physcological or real, but it felt GOOD. I would guess this brings in a little extra (colder?) air since it's only about 6-8" sway from the road surface while still bringing in air through the OEM intake? Anyways, it's ugly but who's looking.

Does this have any side effects? Could I damage anything? I know there is a big risk factor of hydrolocking but I will be adding a bypass valve between the scoop and the aluminum pipe soon. And lastly, do I need anything thing like headers or y-pipe to compensate the exhaust outflow?

P.S. I would assume this didn't not work last year because the MAF was on its way out and I replaced it about 2 months ago. Also using a fairly new Amsoil OEM replacement air filter.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

double post.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Pics if anyone cares to see:

Old 06-02-2007, 05:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

No data no care.

I suppose it might help. Check the filter and see if its dirt pattern changes
Old 06-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you should install some kind of screen in the tube towards the end of it to prevent unecessary things from flowing up there.

You will have to be careful with puddles also (its pretty low)..but it looks good and I always give props to DIY-ers
Old 06-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't need no dynoz, yo. lol. When I had it on for a brief (30 days) period last year, the air filter seemed to get dirtier quicker and it's obvious why but I'm not worried about replacing air filters. Also, Amsoil filters can be cleaned with air so no worries there.

I just want to keep the car as quiet as possible while gaining some power (don't flame me, I'm a car audio type of guy lol). This seemed to help the entire power bandwidth. Is there anything I can do in order to gain some extra low end?

P.S. Thanks for the compliment SLVR. I will be adding some type of cheesecloth type of material in order to keep out the debris from being sucked in but the air filter is also there in the air box IF something does get sucked in. As for puddles, I'll put a small hole towards the middle of the pipe and add a bypass valve such as the one AEM makes in order to help dry out the water IF it gets sucked by any chance.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by JiggaD369
I don't need no dynoz, yo. lol.
I thought you would assume that.

Other options include MAF &/or IAT’s.

I just want to keep the car as quiet as possible while gaining some power (don't flame me, I'm a car audio type of guy lol).
Couple your electronics/audio side to your power cravings and add a larger MAF & a piggyback to gain some real power, quietly. That's what I did.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I thought you would assume that.

Other options include MAF &/or IAT’s.
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by MAF and/or IAT?

Couple your electronics/audio side to your power cravings and add a larger MAF & a piggyback to gain some real power, quietly. That's what I did.
Care to elaborate on this? Which vehicle MAF are you referring to? What's a piggyback? I'm sorry again for my ignorance.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:39 PM
dot dot dot ...

Depending on how far you want to take it.....

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by MAF and/or IAT?
Datalogging parameters:

MAF = gm/s (airflow)

IAT = Intake Air Temperature.

Care to elaborate on this? Which vehicle MAF are you referring to? What's a piggyback? I'm sorry again for my ignorance.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=517758
Old 06-02-2007, 06:59 PM

You will want to block off the snorkel portion of your intake with the set-up you have. I did the same thing and found that the air being forced in the snorkel was in effect being sucked back out the lower opening or vice-versa or just not making it to the filter box. Anyhow, it does not perform as you would think it should. You'd be better off letting the lower portion that you added be the inly source in for the air.

I ended up ripping out the whole thing and went to a custom WAI set-up. I might actually go back and try it with the snorkel blocked off this time. WAI is nice and all but at WOT I do not enjoy it as much. Too loud.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you guys take the resonator box off? I've got a cone filter on the end of the MAF then the box, and it whistles but isnt much louder. My buddy though had an 02 saturn SL2 with their 3.0 dohc six and the way it was set up, he had a cone right before the intake manifold and i kid you not the thing sounded like a trans am. it went filter, MAF, mani and it was soo loud and deep sounding, its rediculous
Old 06-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by carsarecool
Did you guys take the resonator box off? I've got a cone filter on the end of the MAF then the box, and it whistles but isnt much louder. My buddy though had an 02 saturn SL2 with their 3.0 dohc six and the way it was set up, he had a cone right before the intake manifold and i kid you not the thing sounded like a trans am. it went filter, MAF, mani and it was soo loud and deep sounding, its rediculous
I stuck a filter on the end of the MAF also. Above 4K and hard acceleration it was almost as loud as an exhaust. Turned heads, so must've been loud lol.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

My car is quieter than all of you and it outperforms all of you
Old 06-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Bad *** Newb

My car is quieter than all of you and it outperforms all of you

Everyone knows that a super loud JDM N1 style exhaust adds 50 HP and guarantees that your ***** is at least 8" long, sheesh, Where have you been?