5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What is this behind the sidemarker INSIDE THE TRUNK???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Banned

What is this behind the sidemarker INSIDE THE TRUNK???

Ok, IVE ABOUT HAD IT WITH THE "FLAPPY" Rattle in my trunk...Its something behind the sidemarker inside the trunk...BEHIND WHERE THE CD CHANGER WOULD usually be at, behind the INTERIOR TRUNK lining....there is this horizontal box right below THE ACTUAL TRUNK INTERIOR....It has flaps on it like it some sort of vent or something....NOW MY PROBLEM LIES WITH THE FACT THAT EVERYTIME MY BASS HITS, IT SOUNDS AS IF YOU PUT A SHEET OF PAPER DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF YOUR SUB Its driving me nuts!
CAN SOME ONE PLEASE ASSIST ME...I went to finish dynamating the other side of my trunk and to finally DO WHAT I THOUGHT WAS PUTTING AN END TO THIS RATTLE.....I WAS WRONG
ive got photos
This is the outside shot

(pay no attention to that nasty! chip markings beside my gas tank door....ive got to have it touched up when i get my car detailed)

This is a pic of my trunk for an illustration purpose, with part of the lining pulled back

An upclose shot of what im talking about

Sooner, Irish.....anyone?

thanks guys
Old 07-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Banned

And here is an even closer shot of what im trying to determine what is and HOW i can stop the rattle

Old 07-02-2007, 05:59 PM

That is a ventilation outlet. All cars have them to allow for air to flow through the rear deck of the car and out the back. Also, releases heat from trunk on hot days.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:00 PM

i found that in my trunk loose too. No isea what it is other than a vent, but i have noticed a whole load of dust in my trunk lately, and i know it is dislodged. Anyone who knows please inform. Its not in the FSM that i can find either, which pisses me off.

How crucial is this? Granted taht no one is living in my trunk.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nismopc
That is a ventilation outlet. All cars have them to allow for air to flow through the rear deck of the car and out the back. Also, releases heat from trunk on hot days.

i figured it was a vent of some sort...but i dont see how it allows AIR up to the rear deck, as their are no vents on the rear deck when i dynamated it. Also IS MINE THE ONLY ONE THAT FLAPS....TO THE BASS???? lol

IT FLAPS AND RATTLES LIKE NO TOMORROW....but why couldnt it be like a filtered type vent..its LIKE ONE SHEET OF RUBBER SLAPPED up agains plastic

i guess nissan never figured people would throw a couple of 12' subs in the trunk
Old 07-02-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

when you slam the trunk or doors shut the air pressure needs to go some place; it goes right out that door
Old 07-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JSutter
when you slam the trunk or doors shut the air pressure needs to go some place; it goes right out that door

the hell with the air pressure id rather have tight bass...but i didnt know that, and it does make sense....I SHOULD just dynamat RIGHT over top of it....I CANT EVEN GET IT OUT to at least put maybe some foam felt around the edges of where the flapping occurs
Old 07-02-2007, 06:55 PM
retired moderator

get rid of the sub. That should fix the rattle problem and eliminate 50lbs of dead weight from the car.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by irish44j
get rid of the sub. That should fix the rattle problem and eliminate 50lbs of dead weight from the car.

uh,HOW bout........NO (and its 2 subs to be precise)

Can anyone help me
Old 07-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Lil 8

Originally Posted by Trurida18

Can anyone help me

try using some spray on sound deadner, it will get into the nooks. try some felt first to get it secured and to also fill some gaps the spray maynot get to. that way it should still give the vent but should help with your DB,and resonance that is occuring
Old 07-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jkmay01
try using some spray on sound deadner, it will get into the nooks. try some felt first to get it secured and to also fill some gaps the spray maynot get to. that way it should still give the vent but should help with your DB,and resonance that is occuring

so your saying i should try the spray on sound deadner around the BOX VENT, but not on it.....I CANT EVEN GET THE THING out to even attempt to put felt around the part that makes noise...maybe i should try tugging on it a bit

Got any suggestions for good spray on sound deadner cause im clueless....

THANKS for the help btw
Old 07-02-2007, 09:14 PM
On the pedobear bandwagon

NO ONE disrespects teh Irish...

Anyways... isn't it true that if you put sound deadening over all of those vents, that your windows could basically blow out when you shut your door due to the pressure.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:50 PM

Filtor1 and I have ripped it out and deadened over it with good results...but workout a bit more to close the doors.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:01 AM

I have the same problem, I have 2 subs and its all sound deadened and it sounds mint except for that vent thingy also. I do think its to let pressure out but all in all it really isnt needed for pressure. NO car is air tight so the air will escape. Also JDmaxima, no its not true that the windows will blow out due to the sound deadening. The windows would need a heck of a lot more pressure than that to break. If the car was that air tight you couldnt go on a long trip in the winter with the windows closed cause you would suffocate. Anyways i tried to fix the problem also and couldnt come up with a way to take care of it, but is annoying as h$ll
Old 07-03-2007, 06:14 AM

.....should i even install them ..... ...whats more important to me....
Old 07-03-2007, 06:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jdmaxima89
NO ONE disrespects teh Irish...

Anyways... isn't it true that if you put sound deadening over all of those vents, that your windows could basically blow out when you shut your door due to the pressure.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (give respect to get it)
Old 07-03-2007, 08:45 AM

Def put the subs in. Just turn them up till you cant hear the swish of the flaps
Old 07-03-2007, 11:11 AM
retired moderator

I don't need your respect. I can just ban you
Old 07-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned

I don't need your respect. I can just ban you

YO, ban me for what....GTFOH i come in and ask for help, AND INSTEAD I GET insulted...NOW if i were to haul off and curse you out, OR EVEN attempt to crash the VBulletin forum database...I WOULD be wrong. AND YOU THROW insults in my face after i ask you for some assistance.....

what do you want me to bow down and throw apologies at you FOR throwing your ignorant comment out the window when you said
unless thats supposed to be some sort of joke...becasue if it IS, LET ME KNOW.....and I WILL give out an apology
Old 07-03-2007, 12:24 PM
retired moderator

YO, ban me for what....GTFOH i come in and ask for help, AND INSTEAD I GET insulted...NOW if i were to haul off and curse you out, OR EVEN attempt to crash the VBulletin forum database...I WOULD be wrong. AND YOU THROW insults in my face after i ask you for some assistance.....

what do you want me to bow down and throw apologies at you FOR throwing your ignorant comment out the window when you said

unless thats supposed to be some sort of joke...becasue if it IS, LET ME KNOW.....and I WILL give out an apology
Perhaps you should look at my original post again. Then you'd notice the

smiley below what I said. Here on the org, the

, , and

smileys generally infer that someone is saying something SARCASTIC or FACETIOUS.

But even if I was serious, I don't see how it would have been an "insult" anyways. If your skin is that thin, you're going to have problems here.

And then you can look at my second post about banning you, and you will again see the

smiley, once again inferring that I am being sarcastic or facetious.

Get the picture now?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:25 PM
retired moderator

maybe I'll just ban you from being from Maryland instead

^^^^see what i did there?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

Perhaps you should look at my original post again. Then you'd notice the

smiley below what I said. Here on the org, the

, , and

smileys generally infer that someone is saying something SARCASTIC or FACETIOUS.

But even if I was serious, I don't see how it would have been an "insult" anyways. If your skin is that thin, you're going to have problems here.

And then you can look at my second post about banning you, and you will again see the

smiley, once again inferring that I am being sarcastic or facetious.

Get the picture now?

OHHHHHHH, ok ok i got you now.....NOW I FEEL LIKE AN A__HOLE AND FOR THAT MY MAN, i aplogize for being an A__hole, i thought that smiley always ment something MEAN

ban me for being from maryland, LOL......I DESERVED TO be banned now, lol im being sarcastic here though...i really like it here but my mistake dude
Old 07-03-2007, 12:28 PM
retired moderator

OHHHHHHH, ok ok i got you now.....NOW I FEEL LIKE AN ***HOLE AND FOR THAT MY MAN, i aplogize for being an ***hole, i thought that smiley always ment something MEAN

ban me for being from maryland, LOL......I DESERVED TO be banned now, lol
word, all good. Just assume anything people say is gonna be sarcastic on here.

word of advice, though: suggest you edit your post so you are not going around the language filter (i.e. A**Hole), because doing that WILL get you banned if one of teh 5th gen mods notices it.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Banned

word, all good. Just assume anything people say is gonna be sarcastic on here.

lol, gotcha....
Old 07-03-2007, 12:30 PM
retired moderator

read the second part of my last post too
Old 07-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Banned

Totally Understandable! (EDITED)
Old 07-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Cletus

he doesnt have to earn your respect.
he has been here longer than you and has earned everyone else's respect.

and please edit your first post again and paste the following

EDIT: anyone other than IRISH and SOONERFAN (because i thought they would spoonfeed me and kiss my @ss, but instead they are honest)
Old 07-03-2007, 05:10 PM
I R The Law

LOL! Irish and Soonerfan > j00
Old 07-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Banned

anyone have any other useful information

thanks
Old 07-03-2007, 07:11 PM

play with it and see if adding something inbetween would help.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Banned

so i dynamated the rest of my trunk....i couldnt get the vent out...i believe THE ONLY WAY TO GET IT OUT would be to take my bumper off, anyhow I tried stuffing some of the brown paper i peeled off the dynamt inside the vent, BUT that didnt really do much, it seems to be two vents, and its one large unit...as soon as the rest of my dynmat arrives in the mail, IM GONNA force dynamat around the outer parts of the edges...
Old 07-04-2007, 08:44 AM

dude it takes like 10 seconds to pull it out...grow some biceps.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slickrick
dude it takes like 10 seconds to pull it out...grow some biceps.

what!!!! YOU PULLED YOURS OUT?? dammit....i must have really been a B*TCH about it then because i cut my fingers all up on the dynamat and all....im gonna give it a try this weekend when the rest of my dynamat gets here....
Old 07-04-2007, 08:56 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by soonerfan
he doesnt have to earn your respect.
he has been here longer than you and has earned everyone else's respect.

and please edit your first post again and paste the following

EDIT: anyone other than IRISH and SOONERFAN (because i thought they would spoonfeed me and kiss my @ss, but instead they are honest)

btw, i should start typing in in CAPS to STRESS my POINT!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:59 AM

what!!!! YOU PULLED YOURS OUT?? dammit....i must have really been a B*TCH about it then because i cut my fingers all up on the dynamat and all....im gonna give it a try this weekend when the rest of my dynamat gets here....
after installing 180 sqft of second skin with no gloves in my car...I know how you feel. Pulling butyl rubber out of your open wounds suck. But yes, take some pliars and wiggle that bish out.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slickrick
after installing 180 sqft of second skin with no gloves in my car...I know how you feel. Pulling butyl rubber out of your open wounds suck. But yes, take some pliars and wiggle that bish out.
lol, yea doing it with no gloves definately made me wanna, but ill definately be trying what u suggested this weekend.. thanks
Old 07-04-2007, 08:10 PM
retired moderator

have you considered just stuffing the "vent box" with an old t-shirt or something?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

have you considered just stuffing the "vent box" with an old t-shirt or something?

well, i stuffed some of that brown paper from the dynamat into the upper portion of the vent, but the lower portion is still rattling....so im gonna try what slick said this weekend and just YANK IT out at full force
Old 05-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

question about removal and installation of the vent...

I was able to pry this vent from the top down and now it is loose, however, not all the way out. At this point i have tried to line it up and get it back in and I am not having any luck. In my mind, the bottom goes in first and then the top is forced back in with small tabs holding it in on the top. Does anyone have experience putting this thing back in? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

thefin
Old 05-28-2010, 02:38 PM

What the Bump?

it doesnt sound that bad. well i live it

Quick Reply: What is this behind the sidemarker INSIDE THE TRUNK???