5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Mod: Home Depot Mesh Grill!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 08:22 PM

It really is one of the cheapest and nicest mods there is for the Max! $6 and I get 5 grills. One for me, one for me dad and 3 for eBay! Looks very hot. Now I need something for the top. Any ideas guys??
Old 07-17-2001, 08:27 PM

howd u make em?
Old 07-17-2001, 09:04 PM

ask russ
Old 07-17-2001, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Ludacris
howd u make em?
Just go to home depot, go to the "gutter asile" and pick up some gutter grill. Mine cam 5 to a pack for like $6.50

Then you need zip ties (they come in white for your car too!) to hold um on. VERY simple install. Go to Russ's website for step by step directions
Old 07-17-2001, 10:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey ItalianMax...has you dad gotten the mod bug yet? Doe's he know about the .org? Never know...he could be lurkin around
Old 07-17-2001, 10:16 PM

well my dads finally let me do something to his car i showed him pix of Russ' max with the mesh grille and hes letting me do it!

i just hope i do a good job on it, maybe he'll let me do more stuff in the future hehe
Old 07-17-2001, 10:16 PM
PhatGuy

Grilled

I did the install the other day...this is what it looks like on my car..ya ya the front is dirty but you get the idea:

Let me know what you guys think?

Old 07-17-2001, 10:19 PM

Re: Grilled

Originally posted by PhatGuy
I did the install the other day...this is what it looks like on my car..ya ya the front is dirty but you get the idea:

cant see the pic, id like to see a pic of how it looks installed to get a better idea of how itd look since ur silver is closer to white than black.
Old 07-17-2001, 10:28 PM
RBa

Ah.. The good old Home Depot Mesh...

My friend bought the roll for about $4.00 and it was enough to do about 5 cars.. KeKeKe...
I think most shops use these mesh grilles for those aftermarket bodykits that you see on Hondas, ETC...... Ofcourse their job is more professional but a mesh is a mesh.. Those shops charge $50-$100 for a job like this where I ended up spending fi'dolla...

Good looking PhatGuy!!
Old 07-17-2001, 10:38 PM

nevermind i see them now, looks cool
Old 07-17-2001, 10:52 PM
PhatGuy

Nother update

I posted here the other day about another way that the grill may be installed:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=52897

ya ya don't mind the bugs and dirt. Here is another pic:

I might experiment and paint another grill the same blue as my calipers and intall it just to see how it looks. Won't cost much and only takes about 5 mins to install. Unless there is a photoshop guy here that can match up my caliper paint onto the grill to see how it may look...that would be cool to see?

Might look ricey might look nicey?
Thanks

Old 07-17-2001, 11:15 PM

Hey Phatguy, thanks for putting up the pic of your grille. Getting a mod bug for that now. BTW, has anyone ever replaced our front grille with the mesh before? I would like to see pics/instructions for that if they exist.
Old 07-18-2001, 05:05 AM
MaXiM

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg
Hey Phatguy, thanks for putting up the pic of your grille. Getting a mod bug for that now. BTW, has anyone ever replaced our front grille with the mesh before? I would like to see pics/instructions for that if they exist.
what front grille?? I did the lower grill and the upper one. It's a little bit hard doing the upper one since you have to adjust length and such

Old 07-18-2001, 05:11 AM

Originally posted by MaXiM

what front grille?? I did the lower grill and the upper one. It's a little bit hard doing the upper one since you have to adjust length and such
What did u do for the upper one? Show us some pics!

chilltownryderz: Yes my dad has the bug! (thank god). He has the molded brushed aluminum dash kit, the mesh grill, and he wants me to get him front clear side markers and H4 headlights.

PhatGuy: Love the calipers! I want mine silver. Went to Pep Boys yesterday but they had nothing. What is the name of your paint? What degree? Is it a spray on or brush on? If it is spray (cause I found some spray paint at home depot, sliver like i want and it with-stands heat up to 1200 degrees but i want a brush on paint cause if i spray it, won't it get all over the car?)
Old 07-18-2001, 05:21 AM

Pics! Pics! Pics! (And instructions too)

Italian: There's a 24 hour Home Depot right next to my house. Kinda tempted to go because I can't sleep right now.
Old 07-18-2001, 05:31 AM
MaXiM

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg

Pics! Pics! Pics! (And instructions too)

Italian: There's a 24 hour Home Depot right next to my house. Kinda tempted to go because I can't sleep right now.

I'll try to get take some pictures of my car. but some fat bit*h hit me in the rear left bumper so it looks nasty. I'll probably get the pictures done and up by tomorow

Old 07-18-2001, 05:37 AM

I'll try to get take some pictures of my car. but some fat bit*h hit me in the rear left bumper so it looks nasty. I'll probably get the pictures done and up by tomorow
Thanks.
Old 07-18-2001, 04:24 PM

Re: Nother update

Hi all,

Okay, here's a version of what it may look like if you paint it to match your calipers.

GXEme

I posted here the other day about another way that the grill may be installed:

ya ya don't mind the bugs and dirt. Here is another pic:

I might experiment and paint another grill the same blue as my calipers and intall it just to see how it looks. Won't cost much and only takes about 5 mins to install. Unless there is a photoshop guy here that can match up my caliper paint onto the grill to see how it may look...that would be cool to see?

Might look ricey might look nicey?
Thanks
Old 07-18-2001, 04:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Nother update

Originally posted by GXEme
Hi all,

Okay, here's a version of what it may look like if you paint it to match your calipers.

GXEme

blech!

keep it as it is dude! it looks nice & clean!!
Old 07-18-2001, 05:25 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Nother update

Wow thanks for the pic~! Looks different for sure but I think I'm going to keep the grill "stock" The stock grill seems to look nice and clean with the sterling mist. But the potential is there to custom color your grill. Thanks again!

Originally posted by GXEme
Hi all,

GXEme

Old 07-18-2001, 06:48 PM

I think the mesh grill looks great, great $6 mod.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:51 PM

Dam that looks bad ***, i never knew it could look so good.
Roger
Old 07-18-2001, 10:01 PM

well i went to home depot and they only had 4x30 gutter guards. not the 6x30 that was recommended at 5thgenmaximas.com, would the 4x30 work too? another question...where can i find the tabpuller? the screwdriver section? could i just use the back of a hammer in place of the tab puller? thanks
Old 07-19-2001, 04:55 AM

where can i find the tabpuller?

You do not need that tool. It just pops out with the screwdriver and your hands. Also I did not use a needle nose, I used a 10mm Rachet and Socket to get out the remaing bolts that hold on the mud guards.
Old 07-19-2001, 05:25 AM
PhatGuy

Don't forget!

I posted this link earlier in the thread take a read:

Just find someone to help you and it takes 5mins.
As long as they (or you) can reach down to the lower dam area in front of the rad. No need to deal with the tabs...

If you do it by yourself and cannot find anyone to help you you then you gotta mess with the tabs. Either way you would not have to deal with the end splash guards with the bolt. If you do it by yourself and get the main tabs off it will fit up there as far as I can see you do not need to take that bolt off.

Old 07-19-2001, 06:02 AM

Re: Don't forget!

As long as they (or you) can reach down to the lower dam area in front of the rad. No need to deal with the tabs...

If you do it by yourself and cannot find anyone to help you you then you gotta mess with the tabs. Either way you would not have to deal with the end splash guards with the bolt. If you do it by yourself and get the main tabs off it will fit up there as far as I can see you do not need to take that bolt off.
so which tools do i need now? sorry with all the questions, i just dont wanna mess up bad and have my dad angry at me. if i mess up on this i doubt he'll let me do other stuff to his car lol
Old 07-19-2001, 06:09 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Don't forget!

You need two people. The grill, ties and maybe some pliers (to pull the ties tight). Just look closely at your situation and take your time sliding it down initially (top right hand side of the engine bay in front of the rad. And lining it up horizontally in front of the grill. It is so easy assuming your grill goes in easily. No worries just go take a look under the hood.

so which tools do i need now? sorry with all the questions, i just dont wanna mess up bad and have my dad angry at me. if i mess up on this i doubt he'll let me do other stuff to his car lol

Old 07-19-2001, 06:12 AM

mesh grill on exhaust tips?

At the Z show in Kingston I noticed some Z cars with mesh covering the exhaust tips. It looked really cool! I'm wondering how easily the mesh can be cut to the right shape and whether it can be SOLDERED. If not..how'd they do that?
Old 07-19-2001, 08:37 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by ItalianMax2kSE

PhatGuy: Love the calipers! I want mine silver. Went to Pep Boys yesterday but they had nothing. What is the name of your paint? What degree? Is it a spray on or brush on? If it is spray (cause I found some spray paint at home depot, sliver like i want and it with-stands heat up to 1200 degrees but i want a brush on paint cause if i spray it, won't it get all over the car?)
I did the same color to my car (looks great on a silver car) and used spray paint. I took my time and taped off the moving parts on the caliper, rubber grommetted things, bleeder valve, parking brake spring assembly, rotor. I then had rags drapped and taped to cover the entire area. No over spray detected. Of course do not do on a windy day though.

Make sure to really clean the caliper well with brake cleaner. If you don't, the paint will not stick well and then it will look very poor. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2001, 07:08 PM

Did my grill, pictures are up

howd u make em?
Thanks Russ and ItalMAx for inspiring, i got a really bad laceration doing the job, i need stitches,but I dont have health insurance.
Check My homepage for pics.

Roger
Old 07-19-2001, 08:29 PM

Roger- Are you serious? What did you cut yourself on? Why dont u have insurance? LOL, GO GET STICHED UP!!
Old 07-19-2001, 10:27 PM

i got a really bad laceration doing the job, i need stitches,but I dont have health insurance.
Now there's a man dedicated to his mods!
Old 07-19-2001, 10:59 PM

Dude it took a toll on your arm but its looking really good! I think i'm going to do that if you don't mind!
Old 07-19-2001, 11:17 PM

Re: Did my grill, pictures are up

Originally posted by radpp16

Thanks Russ and ItalMAx for inspiring, i got a really bad laceration doing the job, i need stitches,but I dont have health insurance.
Check My homepage for pics.

Roger
Looks good Roger. Light's kinda blinding but I'm sure you had to light up the area somehow. How did you get cut anyway? Hope all is well.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:42 AM

yes iam serious

Originally posted by ItalianMax2kSE
Roger- Are you serious? What did you cut yourself on? Why dont u have insurance? LOL, GO GET STICHED UP!!
The mesh grill piece went into my thumb
It got sharp because i wanted to get an exact custom fit so istarted trimmin it and then bam. Well i have butterfly stitches and i splinted my thumb so it wont open, it is right at the joint, it sucks

Roger
Old 07-22-2001, 10:36 AM

over time do u guys thing the grille would turn black with dirt or something...im gonna be puttin it in today
Old 07-23-2001, 05:06 AM

over time do u guys thing the grille would turn black with dirt or something...im gonna be puttin it in today
I don't know about turning black but I am afraid it might rust with time, but who cares, they are cheap remember? LOL
Old 07-23-2001, 06:19 AM

Re: Don't forget!

This little mod CAN be done by one person..I managed it on the weekend all by myself, just by slipping the mesh in thru the top. I lowered the grill, then used two giant ZIP ties to position the grill loosely in it's approximate place. After that you can take your time and fine tune the positioning, put on the small zip ties, then cut away the large ones..It was a breeze!
Old 07-23-2001, 01:07 PM

Re: Re: Don't forget!

Originally posted by LeoB

This little mod CAN be done by one person..I managed it on the weekend all by myself, just by slipping the mesh in thru the top. I lowered the grill, then used two giant ZIP ties to position the grill loosely in it's approximate place. After that you can take your time and fine tune the positioning, put on the small zip ties, then cut away the large ones..It was a breeze!
well it didnt take me 15 min (more like 30) but i finally did it and it was real simple and looks great, thanks for the ideas guys
Old 07-23-2001, 03:18 PM

I went ahead and painted mine black to match the car. It's a good match with the rest of the car but you can't tell it't there either. Check out the link if you're curious. http://images.cardomain.com/installs...277_6_full.jpg

Quick Reply: New Mod: Home Depot Mesh Grill!! :)