5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

0-60mph result! SHOCKING!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Kids these days....oh well don't sweat it! 17 and own that Maxima...doubt it (maybe you said it was one of your parents but didn't take the time to read all the posts
In our family, we are allow to drive which ever one we like. The cars we have in our household are family cars. But I have to admit, the Integra Type-R isn't mine; its mine brother's. But I still drive it when he takes his gf out in the family Legend.

Live in Canada and have your license already? hmmmmmm if you do have it you must have just got it. Do you have your license?

Yes I got my license. In Canada, you must be 18 to get your real license. But when you are 16, you can have your "New Driver" license. New Drivers must have a N sign in their car. Also, New drivers are only allow to have 2 license. If someone got more than 2 tickets, he has to renew his license. In some city, kids can have their license at age 15.

6.7 in a stock auto max??? Dat funny!
Like I said previously, Gtech pro was not accurate.

). I know 2001 models in Canada are stock with LSD but not sure about the 2000 models though.
yup, LSD is on 2000 model. They even have LSD on 96 Maxima SE.

I hope that answers your question.
Old 07-21-2001, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by LoveSick

yup, LSD is on 2000 model. They even have LSD on 96 Maxima SE.

looky! 96 Maxima SE gets LSD!

Sorry for the bad pictures, I don't have a scanner!
Old 07-21-2001, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by greggmax

stock time for 0-60 is 7.8 seconds, but if you add mobil 1 tranny fluid it's 6 seconds flat. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Everyone here spends so much money on mods to gain a few tenths in the 1/4 and all we need is Mobil 1. I might add a FSTB and RSB, but no HP mods. After learning about Mobil 1 I think that is one mod I'll make today.
I highly doubt that a 5th gen stock max auto time is 7.8 s. I got a 7.95 in my old slipping auto GP with 165 hp engine and 3650 curb weight. I've heard from a lot of people that the mag numbers are seriously inflated, and that if you can nail the launch (IE not bog - which seems hard to me, but I haven't tried a whole lot yet) and manually shift you can easily hit mid to low 7's. 7.2-7.5s. That brings it more into line with a manually tranny at high 6 to flat 7....

Mind you, these are my thoughts on stock cars, no mods, and I still don't see how LSD would help an auto 5 gen anyway, there's not much power down low to harness unless you're modded to h*ll and back. I floor it and barely chirp. I brake torque and barely spin... But, I haven't brake torqued past 2500... These cars seem hard to get a holeshot out of...
Old 07-21-2001, 02:27 PM

how old....

do you got to be to get a license in canada? i used to live there, i moved when i was 16 to the states(i'm 19 now), but i thought i was 18. or can you get your permit(g1, 365, whatever its called) at 16, and then license at 17? i cant remember, a friend of mine just got his license, and he's 18(but he's also dumb, failed probably). where do you live in canada?
p.s. was your reading from 0-60mph, or 0-60kph? (thats just my simpleton humor)
Old 07-21-2001, 02:32 PM

Re: how old....

Originally posted by slick
do you got to be to get a license in canada? i used to live there, i moved when i was 16 to the states(i'm 19 now), but i thought i was 18. or can you get your permit(g1, 365, whatever its called) at 16, and then license at 17? i cant remember, a friend of mine just got his license, and he's 18(but he's also dumb, failed probably). where do you live in canada?
p.s. was your reading from 0-60mph, or 0-60kph? (thats just my simpleton humor)
what? I can't understand what you are trying to say.

I live in Coquitlam B.C. But in Surrey B.C, you can get your license at 15! many kids roamed to Surrey just to get their license on their 15th birthday!
Old 07-21-2001, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Ironlord

I highly doubt that a 5th gen stock max auto time is 7.8 s. I got a 7.95 in my old slipping auto GP with 165 hp engine and 3650 curb weight. I've heard from a lot of people that the mag numbers are seriously inflated, and that if you can nail the launch (IE not bog - which seems hard to me, but I haven't tried a whole lot yet) and manually shift you can easily hit mid to low 7's. 7.2-7.5s. That brings it more into line with a manually tranny at high 6 to flat 7....

Mind you, these are my thoughts on stock cars, no mods, and I still don't see how LSD would help an auto 5 gen anyway, there's not much power down low to harness unless you're modded to h*ll and back. I floor it and barely chirp. I brake torque and barely spin... But, I haven't brake torqued past 2500... These cars seem hard to get a holeshot out of...
okay. thanks for sharing!
Old 07-21-2001, 03:21 PM

offtopic:
no you don't have to be 18 to get full licence I'm 16 and I almost have full liccence in Canada, only limit I have now is can't drink and drive, anyways you can't drink @ 16.

The G thing you're talking about is in Ontario, don't know abt other provinces. G1 is learner, gotta keep it for 8 months and drive with someone that has G2 or higher level lic. inside the car. G2 is pretty close to full licence, only difference is you can't drink and you gotta get G (full) in 5yrs, and G is full licence (gotta do a harder roadtest)and only difference is you can drink a little and drive for 64 years if you start @ 16. if you start @ 16 its 63 yrs blah blah blah until you are 80. After 64 yrs you gotta go to a doctor and do a check up to see if you can drive or not
Old 07-21-2001, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by y2KAOSMax
Not to sound dumb, but what is LSD???
I believe LSD is Limited Slip Differential. It keeps the cars back tires from doing something, I forgot what though.. I'm sure if you did a search you could find out what it does.
Old 07-21-2001, 04:06 PM

okay. thanks for sharing!
Smarta*s...

:::shakes head and walks away:::
Old 07-21-2001, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Ironlord

Smarta*s...

:::shakes head and walks away:::

No, I was serious. I really don't think my Max is that fast and I think what you said was totally right. I will keep your word in my heart.
Old 07-21-2001, 07:43 PM
MajesticMax

Somebody mentioned putting Redline MT-90 in your Auto transmission... I thought that it should only be used in manual transmissions.

Redline makes a Synthetic ATF, does anyone have any experience with it?

Old 07-21-2001, 10:28 PM

hmmmm...

i wonder what would happen if they did the whole license thing that ontario does in the states? fewer accidents? less dumb asses on the streets? so i guess my friends are at g2's right now. what do you mean they can't drink and drive? i don't think anyone's allowed to drink and drive. do you mean that if they caught drinking and driving, they lose there lisence?
Old 07-21-2001, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Mustang1999

I believe LSD is Limited Slip Differential. It keeps the cars back tires from doing something, I forgot what though.. I'm sure if you did a search you could find out what it does.
a limited slip differential maximizes drive-wheel traction by sensing when a wheel starts slipping, and transferring torque to the other drive wheel (which should have better grip).
Old 07-22-2001, 12:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hey seriously, do you have a G-tech? Cna you test your 0-60?
btw, nice rims!
thanks..
i don't have a G-Tech...i hope to measure my 0-60 in more accurate way tho...but i'm out of ideas...
Old 07-22-2001, 12:18 AM

Oh LSD stands for "Limited Slip Differential". Currently the AE's and Canadian models have it.

Originally posted by y2KAOSMax
Not to sound dumb, but what is LSD???
Old 07-22-2001, 07:39 AM

Highly Possible!!!

hey seriously, do you have a G-tech? Cna you test your 0-60?
btw, nice rims!

These are two posts of mine a little while ago, It's very possible that your times accurate!!

I can break "spin" (feel the tires lose grip) from 1>2.

When I was doing 0-60 testing in my 95 Max I lost time on 0-60 with mods until I learned to launch the car. The least little slippage would cost me .2 - .4 on my 0-60.

0-60 times, other tests.
I have seen tests of the Max 5th gen, auto with 0-60 ranging from 7.11 7.3 ... and the 5sp was closer to 6.3 don't hold me to that one.

But I can dig up the article/link.

The 0-60 times on the Max have a wide range from mags, but it seems that people who drive them are "racing"/flexing against cars with much better mag test times. I had spent a lot of time investigating this issue, well long story.

Later,

john

Correction ... data
I found the link:

www.theautochannel.com
(Search for article: The 2000 Nissan Maxima, An all new Maximum Effort.
by Larry Weitzman)

But here's a piece of the article that was pretty interesting.

As before, shift points are right at the redline in first and second gear. The 5 speed is definitely faster than the four speed auto. Both transmissions are silky smooth to use, but I thought the clutch on the 5 speed engaged a little to quickly and had too much dead pedal.

Full throttle acceleration turns the sedate sedan into a rocket sled without rails (unless your in a corner and then it feels as if it is on rails). The engine acts like its on full AB (afterburner or "reheat" if your English). The SE manual just plain scats from 0-60 in less than seven seconds with an average of 6.84 with two runs at 6.63 and 6.68 seconds and all but one of the eight runs were over seven seconds (7.11). The Millennium Falcon beware. This is an improvement of .66 seconds over the previous generation with a 5 speed manual. There is no substitute for horsepower.

Even the automatic, top of the line, GLE with a standard automatic averaged 7.54 seconds with two runs at 7.15 and 7.17 seconds. Were not done yet. In passing tests from 50-70 mph, the SE 5 speed averaged 3.97 seconds using second and third gears. Using third gear only lengthened that time to only 4.6 seconds. Up hill will slow that time to 5.15 seconds using gears two and three and 7.3 seconds using third gear only. Both these times are an improvement of about one second over the previous model test (a 1999 5 speed SE).

Even the automatic was slightly quicker passing that the previous 5 speed. 50-70 averaged 4.5 seconds and up hill slowed that time to an average of 6.26. Both times were marginally quicker than the previous generation.

later,

jbgoodmax

___
Old 07-22-2001, 04:39 PM

Long post

Sorry for the long post, just wanted some substance with it, not just
Old 07-23-2001, 12:08 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

some G-Tech/PRO experiences...

I have a G-Tech/PRO and I did some runs with it in my Accord V6.

With just my mods below I went out and ran it on the flattest and smoothest piece of road that I could find.

I did 0-60 in 7.16s.

bullsh!t. Stock is around 7.9 or so, and there's no way in intake and plugs would drop off almost 0.7 seconds from your 0-60. That's ridiculous.

So then I went and ran in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION and got 7.6s, which was more reasonable.

So I did that going back and forth a couple of times with brake-torquing and just letting the auto shift for me (it shifts right at redline in the Accord V6) and I managed consistent 7.1x/7.6x runs, so I concluded that my average time must be around 7.4s, which is more reasonable for a modded Accord V6.

When I was stock I got 7.2x/7.8x times, so it was reasonable to conclude that whatever I was stock, I gained around 0.1-0.2s with what I have now.

I know the Maxima/auto is a little bit faster than an Accord V6 stock vs. stock as long as the Max driver powershifts at redline, so i could believe a 6.7 from Lovesick.

BUT TO LOVESICK: Did you run in both directions or only in one??

It's important to note that a G-Tech/PRO is NOT useful for an absolute measure of performance, but only RELATIVE. I know those 0-60 times for my car are a bit optimistic, but I can take the relative data in that I seemed to have picked up about 0.1-0.2s from whatever my 0-60 REALLY IS.

Now this is real funny: I also did a 1/4 mile run when I was stock and check this out: 15.46s @ 95.6 mph.

bwwaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahah!!!

That's funny...real real funny! I know that's bullsh!t there because there's no way in HELL a stock Accord V6 will hit mid-15's stock. The best we'll do is high-15's.

But I know that if I go and run again at the same exact spot then I can use the above reading for a baseline to see how much I might have picked up - but you still need a 1/4 mile strip and a timeslip for any REAL data.

BTW, the 1/4 mile culprit in my case was a very subtle and slight DOWNHILL. This can at least be partially compenstated for by running in the OTHER direction and averaging, but after the first run I realized that there wasn't enough room to do it safely (only 0.4 miles or so) so I never did another run in the other direction. But if I did I can tell you for a fact that it would most likely be low-mid-16's and would average out that bogus 15.46 to somewhere in the mid-high-15's for the Accord V6.

So G-Tech/PRO's are okay, but they're accurate only if you know how to use them properly.
Old 07-23-2001, 01:36 PM

Re: some G-Tech/PRO experiences...

Originally posted by SteVTEC
I have a G-Tech/PRO and I did some runs with it in my Accord V6.

With just my mods below I went out and ran it on the flattest and smoothest piece of road that I could find.

I did 0-60 in 7.16s.

bullsh!t. Stock is around 7.9 or so, and there's no way in intake and plugs would drop off almost 0.7 seconds from your 0-60. That's ridiculous.

So then I went and ran in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION and got 7.6s, which was more reasonable.

So I did that going back and forth a couple of times with brake-torquing and just letting the auto shift for me (it shifts right at redline in the Accord V6) and I managed consistent 7.1x/7.6x runs, so I concluded that my average time must be around 7.4s, which is more reasonable for a modded Accord V6.

When I was stock I got 7.2x/7.8x times, so it was reasonable to conclude that whatever I was stock, I gained around 0.1-0.2s with what I have now.

I know the Maxima/auto is a little bit faster than an Accord V6 stock vs. stock as long as the Max driver powershifts at redline, so i could believe a 6.7 from Lovesick.

BUT TO LOVESICK: Did you run in both directions or only in one??

It's important to note that a G-Tech/PRO is NOT useful for an absolute measure of performance, but only RELATIVE. I know those 0-60 times for my car are a bit optimistic, but I can take the relative data in that I seemed to have picked up about 0.1-0.2s from whatever my 0-60 REALLY IS.

Now this is real funny: I also did a 1/4 mile run when I was stock and check this out: 15.46s @ 95.6 mph.

bwwaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahah!!!

That's funny...real real funny! I know that's bullsh!t there because there's no way in HELL a stock Accord V6 will hit mid-15's stock. The best we'll do is high-15's.

But I know that if I go and run again at the same exact spot then I can use the above reading for a baseline to see how much I might have picked up - but you still need a 1/4 mile strip and a timeslip for any REAL data.

BTW, the 1/4 mile culprit in my case was a very subtle and slight DOWNHILL. This can at least be partially compenstated for by running in the OTHER direction and averaging, but after the first run I realized that there wasn't enough room to do it safely (only 0.4 miles or so) so I never did another run in the other direction. But if I did I can tell you for a fact that it would most likely be low-mid-16's and would average out that bogus 15.46 to somewhere in the mid-high-15's for the Accord V6.

So G-Tech/PRO's are okay, but they're accurate only if you know how to use them properly.

Hey Steve!

It took me 10min to read that post of yours! I am a slow reader...

I only ran one way because I never realized that it will make any difference. I only had the Gtech for 1 hour and only played with it for 45min. I didn't even know how to do 1/4.

I don't think powershift will get me any better time because 60mph is reached in 2nd @ 5000rpm. But one thing I did that no other non-LSD Max can do; flooring it from the start with no wheel spin!