5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Adding OEM navigation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:38 PM

Adding OEM navigation

I have a 2k max and was wondering if it would be possible to add the nav system from an 02 or 03. Is this possible? is there any type of special wiring i will need to do? What parts would i need besides the head unit?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:43 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

I think most people would tell you to get a 3rd party one. Why do you want stock nav?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:47 PM

well i have one but i would just rather have everything in one system.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by guod
I have a 2k max and was wondering if it would be possible to add the nav system from an 02 or 03. Is this possible? is there any type of special wiring i will need to do? What parts would i need besides the head unit?
It is possible given enough time and money, just not very practical. The wiring will most likely be a pain since not all the wires that the unit needs are going to be present *but you may be able to get around that part*. You will need the nav head unit, the cassette player head unit or substitute, and the CD changer at the very least. This will take the place of your heat / air controls as well as your stereo, in case you weren't aware.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:32 AM

Its not worth it just go aftermarket
Old 08-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

just a question but why NOT have a factory Nav vs and aftermarket? my thought would be for theft and stealth of a car system that the factory would be best. every system i build, i tend to build around the factory system because i want to KEEP my system in MY car!!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The Eclipse AVN series is everything in a 2DIN setup. It fits nice and perfect in a max. You can get a AVN 2454 used on Ebay for 500 or so. I have that model and love it. The newest ones are about 1500 online but if you are doing the install yourself, i would go used on Ebay. The brand new ones aren't worth the money unless you are getting them installed with the 1 year theft money back guarantee. I am think about upgrading my 2454 to the 6610. Let me know if you would like to know more or see a pic.

PS - the factory version is far from a one piece setup...
Old 08-22-2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by number2jcb
The Eclipse AVN series is everything in a 2DIN setup. It fits nice and perfect in a max. You can get a AVN 2454 used on Ebay for 500 or so. I have that model and love it. The newest ones are about 1500 online but if you are doing the install yourself, i would go used on Ebay. The brand new ones aren't worth the money unless you are getting them installed with the 1 year theft money back guarantee. I am think about upgrading my 2454 to the 6610. Let me know if you would like to know more or see a pic.

PS - the factory version is far from a one piece setup...
After market units are great and there is no doubt about it. However, "1beastnstl" has a VALID point - how do you protect an after market 2DIN Navi unit from theft??? None of these units has anti-theft system built into them. What a shame....
The OEM unit is not as attractive and most likely no one would break your locks/window/dash to grab it. Nice aftermarket unit would be a sure target.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:04 AM

I live in Hoboken, NJ, and park in NYC multiple nights a week. I have a valentine one hardwired up againt the roof, I have the AVN (PS-It looks so stock in the end, people don't think it is aftermarket). However, when somebody did smash my driver's side window, the only thing they took was my 2nd generation firewire IPOD loaded with Queen and other great classic rock favorites. I'd like to see what he did with that...

Eclipses deter theft in many ways... Not only do they look stock when installed right, but they also have ESN. ESN is a system where when you first power up the radio on install you are required to input a CD of your choosing. Using your favorite bands CD as the key, the next time the radio is disconnected from power, you must insert that CD again or else it will never work again.

I was extremely terrified when I installed my Eclipse. I had had an attempt on my Xenon's already, but decided it was time. I reinstalled the Xenon's (I had converted to the Halogens) and then put the eclipse in with a viper 791vx. In the end I had Xenon's, DVD nav which worked seemlessly with Bose system already in place, DVD ability on the road, Remote Start with a manual, and a responder that told me when my alarm went off.

In the three years of parking in Manhattan and lots of other sketchy places, I have had no issues (besides the crack addict grabbing my IPOD for the quick fix). The fact is if you live in a sketchy neighborhood, then people walk by and see your goodies all the time. They have the ability to see your patterns and figure out the best time to steal your stuff. It is fact. Parking in sketchy places for short durations of time leaves you susceptable to the quick attack. But honestly, thiefs are looking for the quick buck. The radio is worth nothing, and takes more time then grabbing your bluetooth headset and ipod. Back in the day, a radio pulled out of a car was interchangeable with any other car and made it practical to steal. That is simply not the case.

Oh and to boot, a stock HU will cost you at least $700. Assuming you lower your comprehensive coverage on your auto insurance (doesn't cost much at all), if your radio is stolen they pay you for the stock HU not the aftermarket. But if you get it used off of ebay it would be a wash, and I guarantee, the guy ripping your radio out will leave most of the harnesses and stray wires there, so reinstallation of the replacement radio would be a breeze.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:55 AM

After market units are great and there is no doubt about it. However, "1beastnstl" has a VALID point - how do you protect an after market 2DIN Navi unit from theft??? None of these units has anti-theft system built into them. What a shame....
The OEM unit is not as attractive and most likely no one would break your locks/window/dash to grab it. Nice aftermarket unit would be a sure target.
dude, people will steal just about anything....
even if its not a one-piece thing, i'm sure they'll take whatever $$ they can get for it.... not a very strong argument IMO.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:27 AM

I will soon add an aftermarket nav, maybe the jvc kdnx5000 or a pioneer avic, i looked at the eclipse models briefly, but ive never heard of them. I noticed the feature where itll be useless if a certain cd is not inserted at start up. Good feature BUT do you think the robber/crackhead is gonna look in your car an say "DAMN, its the eclipse model blahblahlblah if i steal that it wont work" the dude stealin your nav wont know that ish man. That feature is kind of pointless. Sure it wont work for him, but he'll just throw it away an steal another one.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:44 AM

^^^ not to mention you'll have a beautiful empty hole in your dash and prolly a smashed window.... like i said, thieves these days man, believe it or not, will still anything....