5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Why does everyone sell their k-sports after theybuy them

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 02:40 PM
The original VQ...

Why does everyone sell their k-sports after theybuy them

I noticed everyone that buys k-sport coilovers , ends up selling them after a few weeks or months?

Are they any good??

I see theres alot of thread and reviews on them and blah blah.

I just wanna hear some stuff for ppl that have them them for a lot of miles and dnt wanna sell them....
Old 09-08-2007, 09:54 PM

I also noticed then. It seems alot of the people who have them like them, but i find the ones who dont, dont seem to like them..go figure heh. It also seems people have problems with them blowing prematurely, thats one of the reasons i went with the teins.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:28 PM
wat

From my understanding its probably because they think that it will have a nice and smooth ride while slammed which is untrue.

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
I also noticed then. It seems alot of the people who have them like them, but i find the ones who dont, dont seem to like them..go figure heh. It also seems people have problems with them blowing prematurely, thats one of the reasons i went with the teins.
They will slam the suspension and will set the damper to be soft AFAIK
Old 09-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You living in CT, probably do not want them. I have heard multiple times that coilovers do not like the cold, and it causes them to blow much faster then if you were to live in a warm climate. If you keep the max garaged for the winter, then I'd say go for it - otherwise, stick with conventional shocks.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:49 AM

Hey Maxspeed,
In the two years and 16k miles I've had the k-sports on in my car here is my assesment:
1. First blowout @ 5k miles replaced under warranty.
2. Around 10k miles I had to replace the front height adjustment set-up with k-sports "quiet kit" after origional poly bushing spring seats deteriorated and split. (Good investment around $20)
3. Now at approximately 16k miles the both front damers are leaking and so is one of the rears, specifically the one I already replaced!
4. K-sport changed seal manufacturers in late 06 and the rep at k-sport gave me a break on buying a set of 4 replacement dampers (2front, 2rear) delivered
to my house for $300. Again good deal, but more money spent.
5. I have since noticed the the rear spings are now loosing their protective paint finish AND the rear poly seat bushings are splitting as well.

These are just the external problems I've experienced with the k-sports. The other problem that many people suffer from is the oil in the stuts. It suffers a viscous change in temps below 50 degrees, getting progressively worse (thicker) the colder it gets!! This makes for a rock hard ride in anyones book. Not good for us Yankees. Because of this I plan on removing my k-sports for the winter and replacing them with the stock macpherson struts and shocks albeit with progress springs and aftermarket dampers. (I simply can't stand the factory springs-strut combo.)

Now, It seems like I've done nothing but complain, but it's not all bad. The k-sports really do make the car handle very, very well when not leaking and in warmer weather. They also remove a significant amount of unsprung weight which helps to offset my heavier 19" wheels and tires. I noticed this right away! I think this is one thing many people don't realize when swapping out the factory struts for k-sports. I truely enjoy the handling of the maxima with the k-sports, but they simply don't do well in weather below 40 degrees and their maintenance is getting tiresome/expensive. I also have a Cattman rear sway bar and front strut bar. I paln on adding SFC's in the future to help with chassis integrity. All of this will make the k-sports do their job better, when I reinstall them, but for now, its back to something more forgiving for the winter months.

I hope this was informative for you.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just took out my D2's (very similar to KSport) after nearly 20k miles for Illuminas/Progress, I realized right away why tons of people stick to spring/strut combos.

They are really harsh compared to my new set up and progress is supposed to be one of the more harsh springs.

You CAN get custom spring rates and struts for more comfort, but still not really worth it because of all the maintenance involved with Coilovers.

I think they are great for someone who shows the car and wants to slam it every once in a while, but not for daily driving.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:36 AM
The original VQ...

thanks bros, looks like im gona stick to springs and struts.