5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Y pipe installed and it was a ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 09:17 PM

Y pipe installed and it was a great time!!!

No check engine light, no bees in the can, no hitches, no glitches!

For all the time's I've cussed my max for weak paint, check engine lights, pain the a** installation of certain products, this one made up for it! Straight bolt on and a great sound. I love the way it sounds with the CAI!

If anyone has a way to post it I have a couple of MPEG's of just the CAI and now some MPEG's of the combination. If anyone's interested just email me and I can send them to you. I just don't have the ability to post these since I got rid of my original ISP.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:40 PM
MajesticMax

ispeed, how does it feel? As far as, did you notice a power difference?

I am considering one (Y-Pipe) for a future mod, just trying to get other's feedback.

Old 07-24-2001, 09:47 PM
nc00max

Originally posted by MajesticMax
ispeed, how does it feel? As far as, did you notice a power difference?

I am considering one (Y-Pipe) for a future mod, just trying to get other's feedback.
I put mine on this Saturday, and noticed an immediate difference. Not much in the low end, but once she hits those higher RPM's, you can really feel it. Makes a hell of a nice sound too. I decided I'm going to get the Cattman CAI to complement it too. I think I'm ready to graduate from the OSCAI...

Old 07-24-2001, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by nc00max

I put mine on this Saturday, and noticed an immediate difference. Not much in the low end, but once she hits those higher RPM's, you can really feel it. Makes a hell of a nice sound too. I decided I'm going to get the Cattman CAI to complement it too. I think I'm ready to graduate from the OSCAI...

hehehe i bought the CAI already... now im just waiting to install it...
Old 07-24-2001, 10:36 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Woohoo!!! What's next?
Old 07-25-2001, 04:11 AM

Me too!

I installed my y-pipe on Saturday also. I didn't really notice too much though. It does have a nice sound to it. I want to get a nice custom exhaust done now, along with CAI, UDP, SC, etc... The list can go on forever. The wife hates it. All in all it was a good time installing it. I am happy with it.
Old 07-25-2001, 04:34 AM
Got Bent?

Congrats lots of people are getting a y-pipe..... cool UDP anyone?
Old 07-25-2001, 07:05 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Me too!

Originally posted by Matticus
I want to get a nice custom exhaust done now, along with CAI, UDP, SC, etc...
UDP won't work with the SC... you'll be underboosting.
Old 07-25-2001, 07:44 AM

Install Pics?

Does anyone have any installation pictures of the y-pipe.

If it's that easy, I'll attempt a self-install when I purchase one. I would like to see some pictures to ease my nerves, however.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey .. what'd u use 2 get under the car?

Originally posted by ispeed

For all the time's I've cussed my max for weak paint, check engine lights, pain the a** installation of certain products, this one made up for it! Straight bolt on and a great sound. I love the way it sounds with the CAI!

If anyone has a way to post it I have a couple of MPEG's of just the CAI and now some MPEG's of the combination. If anyone's interested just email me and I can send them to you. I just don't have the ability to post these since I got rid of my original ISP.
Old 07-25-2001, 02:20 PM

I should have installed a Y pipe. now Nauman is going to drive right past me on Saturday.
Old 07-25-2001, 02:23 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
I should have installed a Y pipe. now Nauman is going to drive right past me on Saturday.

nope....remember, I am slow.... see my sig?
Old 07-25-2001, 03:00 PM

LOL. I thought about applying to SMC, but then I realized I was too fast. You need to run 16's to qualify.

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

nope....remember, I am slow.... see my sig?
Old 07-25-2001, 03:07 PM

Re: Re: Me too!

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

UDP won't work with the SC... you'll be underboosting.
Thanks for the info. I had wondered about that, the under drive pulley and a supercharger pulley. Now you answered my question. Thanks. In the meantime while I run my warranty out and convince my wife that I need to make my car that much faster, I will have a UDP.
Old 07-25-2001, 03:36 PM
nc00max

Congrats lots of people are getting a y-pipe..... cool UDP anyone?
Tomorrow! The dealer had my belt tensioner in stock, so when I went to the shop to get it installed and they said they'd do the UDP for another $50, so I said what the hell. I think it'll go pretty good with the y-pipe since it's better on the low end, and the y is better up high. Nice to be more a litte more well-rounded

Old 07-25-2001, 04:28 PM
Got Bent?

LOL. I thought about applying to SMC, but then I realized I was too fast. You need to run 16's to qualify.

given my lack of track experience, I wouldn't be surprised if all I hit was 16's

Tomorrow! The dealer had my belt tensioner in stock, so when I went to the shop to get it installed and they said they'd do the UDP for another $50, so I said what the hell. I think it'll go pretty good with the y-pipe since it's better on the low end, and the y is better up high. Nice to be more a litte more well-rounded

Cool post how you like it.... Are you sure you can't roll up to Maxus? try and come up....
Old 07-25-2001, 04:31 PM

Maybe on your first run, when you are nervous. From there your ET's will fall steadily.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

given my lack of track experience, I wouldn't be surprised if all I hit was 16's

[/b]

QUOTE]
Old 07-25-2001, 04:36 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
Maybe on your first run, when you are nervous. From there your ET's will fall steadily.
heheh....I guess I'll find out Saturday..... looking forward to it
Old 07-25-2001, 05:13 PM

you have your Y-Pipe

Originally posted by ispeed

Dam i want to get one these Y-Pipes, they must be great?
How much LOUDER does the car sound? I plan on leaving stock exhaust and everything stock, maybe get a CAI soon.
Roger
Old 07-25-2001, 05:38 PM
Got Bent?

Re: you have your Y-Pipe

Originally posted by radpp16

Dam i want to get one these Y-Pipes, they must be great?
How much LOUDER does the car sound? I plan on leaving stock exhaust and everything stock, maybe get a CAI soon.
Roger
if you leave the rest of the exhaust stock, the y-pipe will not add much noise at all. It will make the exhaust a bit deeper, but it sounds great. At high rpms, there is a slight hiss, but it is hardly noticeable over the engine.
Old 07-25-2001, 06:04 PM

The hardest part about installing the Y-pipe was getting the old one off. Other then that, everything else is pretty straight forward. The Y-pipe along with the Cattman CAI and UDP definitely = a great sensation for the butt dyno
I felt I lost a little low-end, but that is ok... takes away some wheel spin, and the mid to top end definitely make up for it. Now only if I could get rid of the speed limiter and the slow shifting tranny. Come on Don! Where is that VB mod I ordered!!!
Thinking about 100 shot NOS and the Unichip, what do you guys think? Talked to the Unichip tech today. They can do multi-map programming and get rid of the speed limiter yeahh, but cost $$$$
Old 07-25-2001, 09:54 PM
nc00max

Cool post how you like it.... Are you sure you can't roll up to Maxus? try and come up....
Well, I definitely gotta be back by 5pm for Navy stuff, but since DC's 2 1/2 hours away I might be able to swing it till around 1 or so. Dunno if a couple hours would be worth it, and besides I'm already planning on a trip up there on 6-8 of Aug. Dunno...

Old 07-26-2001, 04:34 AM
Got Bent?

Well, I definitely gotta be back by 5pm for Navy stuff, but since DC's 2 1/2 hours away I might be able to swing it till around 1 or so. Dunno if a couple hours would be worth it, and besides I'm already planning on a trip up there on 6-8 of Aug. Dunno...
that would be cool even if you could stop by for a few hours... just get there early
Old 07-26-2001, 11:10 AM
nc00max

that would be cool even if you could stop by for a few hours... just get there early
Well, I was ready to go ahead and come up there for the morning, but now thanks to the ****ing dealership (can I mention them by name? I'd love to **** all over them somewhere public...) I gotta wait to get the UDP installed on Sat. The car was supposed to be done at the dealership (they have yet to fix my auto tranny) by noon, then off to the other shop and done by 4. But the dealer just started at 1, so now I gotta wait till Sat. since I can't be without a vehicle for any length of time. Well, maybe I'll see some of you DC guys when I'm up there in Aug...

Old 07-26-2001, 12:12 PM
Got Bent?

Well, I was ready to go ahead and come up there for the morning, but now thanks to the ****ing dealership (can I mention them by name? I'd love to **** all over them somewhere public...) I gotta wait to get the UDP installed on Sat. The car was supposed to be done at the dealership (they have yet to fix my auto tranny) by noon, then off to the other shop and done by 4. But the dealer just started at 1, so now I gotta wait till Sat. since I can't be without a vehicle for any length of time. Well, maybe I'll see some of you DC guys when I'm up there in Aug...
sucks! oh well tho.... maybe we can have a mini DC meet in August or something...
Old 07-26-2001, 01:10 PM
nc00max

sucks! oh well tho.... maybe we can have a mini DC meet in August or something...
maybe. I'll be up there the 7th & 8th, so whatever everyone's schedule dictates is fine by me. I actually have to go to the Pentagon (me, a lowly E-5 surrounded by the top brass!) to pick up a security clearance for my divO. That's on Tues. but since no one here knows what time I need to be there yet (and it's only for like 5 min.) my command booked me a room for the night just in case. So I figured I'd milk it as much as possible and see some sights since I've never been up there. But anyways, my schedule should actually be pretty flexible, so whatever's good for you all is fine by me.

Old 07-26-2001, 06:19 PM

had a question for you...

maybe. I'll be up there the 7th & 8th, so whatever everyone's schedule dictates is fine by me. I actually have to go to the Pentagon (me, a lowly E-5 surrounded by the top brass!) to pick up a security clearance for my divO. That's on Tues. but since no one here knows what time I need to be there yet (and it's only for like 5 min.) my command booked me a room for the night just in case. So I figured I'd milk it as much as possible and see some sights since I've never been up there. But anyways, my schedule should actually be pretty flexible, so whatever's good for you all is fine by me.
If the Y-pipe is a high end hp mod(right?) and the intake is high end hp mod(right?) , what do you need to get low end gains. I mean low ends count more than high end in my case, i never go above 80(JK). I wanna kill off the line(crosswalk).
Roger
Old 07-26-2001, 06:34 PM
Got Bent?

Re: had a question for you...

Originally posted by radpp16

If the Y-pipe is a high end hp mod(right?) and the intake is high end hp mod(right?) , what do you need to get low end gains. I mean low ends count more than high end in my case, i never go above 80(JK). I wanna kill off the line(crosswalk).
Roger
a y-pipe and intake do start helping in the mid range also, but they are most effective at high rpms. For good low end gains, the UDP is the mod to get.