5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Simpson: Japanese = bad quality cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001 | 08:00 PM

I watched this episode of Simpson. It was about Homer and his family went to Japan. The family ended up cutting fish in a factory. Then Homer asked a Japanese guy what he does for part time, then the Jap guy said that he builds "poor quality cars".

Here is my question, do all Americans think Japanese cars are of low quality? Do they really think Catalic (the best of Detroit) can build better cars than Acura or lexus?
Old 08-01-2001 | 08:13 PM

If you look at www.acura-tl.com, they constantly complain that the TL isn't as well built as the I30 because it is assemblied in America. I think most Americans think the same way.
Old 08-01-2001 | 09:02 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
If you look at www.acura-tl.com, they constantly complain that the TL isn't as well built as the I30 because it is assemblied in America. I think most Americans think the same way.
On the other hand, there are persistant rumors that since the cars in Japan are only made to last for four years before they're taxed out of existance, that the build quality is less than that of those shipped here.

Fewer welds, etc. Don't know if that's true or not...
Old 08-01-2001 | 09:38 PM

I've always thought that Japanese cars built in Japan are the highest quality, and second to that would be Japanese cars built in America. I always thought it had to do with the work ethic of the people who build the car. In America, we have unions and such which can sometimes encourage workers to do "just what it takes but not much more" to get the job done. On the other hand, the Japanese way of business is that the "employer takes care of the employee" with concepts such as lifetime employment. I'm not saying that unions are bad per se, but rather it works better in a country like America than Japan.
Old 08-01-2001 | 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Eric L.
I've always thought that Japanese cars built in Japan are the highest quality, and second to that would be Japanese cars built in America. I always thought it had to do with the work ethic of the people who build the car. In America, we have unions and such which can sometimes encourage workers to do "just what it takes but not much more" to get the job done. On the other hand, the Japanese way of business is that the "employer takes care of the employee" with concepts such as lifetime employment. I'm not saying that unions are bad per se, but rather it works better in a country like America than Japan.
totally agree with you guys.

Japanese people do their best in everything they do. THis lead to better quality. Also, I saw a show on TV about japan. The Honda plant manager always have coffee breaks with the employees everyday.
Old 08-01-2001 | 10:54 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

that is not true..
If Japanese really did make "poor quality" cars, they would not be considered most reliable cars out there for so long... The Hondas/Toyotas are rated as most reliable cars, followed by either other Japanese makes like Nissan or by Mercedes... I'm really interested in these Korean cars, Huyindai and Kia, these 100k warranties.... hmm
Old 08-02-2001 | 06:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mercedes japanese?
Old 08-02-2001 | 07:56 AM

It's also interesting that whenever you see a japenese car in an accident allthough it may look like ****, the drivers usually walk out in one piece. On the other hand when someone has an American car the car isn't in as bad shape but the driver is injured. On another not I personally wouldn't want any American car except trucks and suv's. Like Impala SS is nice but theres something missing. Mustang's are fast but I would still like to stick with Japenese or German engineering...
Old 08-02-2001 | 08:07 AM

American companies dont give a cr@p about their cars...all they care is to sell a buncha trucks. My parents have had 2 Fords both of them went to the dealer every other week after the warranty expired. Same with a friends Ford Taurus. The only things I've heard praise from is the trucks, nobodys Domestic truck has had troubles...sorta weird. But these Domestic companies better watch out...Tundra/Sequoia is already doing pretty and Nissan is next up in 2003
Old 08-02-2001 | 08:24 AM

heheheha

Originally posted by Ludacris
American companies dont give a cr@p about their cars...all they care is to sell a buncha trucks. My parents have had 2 Fords both of them went to the dealer every other week after the warranty expired. Same with a friends Ford Taurus. The only things I've heard praise from is the trucks, nobodys Domestic truck has had troubles...sorta weird. But these Domestic companies better watch out...Tundra/Sequoia is already doing pretty and Nissan is next up in 2003
FORD = Found On Road Dead
= F**ked On Race Day
= F**ked Over Rebuilt Dodge
Couldn't resist.
Old 08-02-2001 | 08:49 AM
I'm needing a caw

WTF?? Japanese cars not as good as American cars?? For one, ease up on the "Jap" term bro.

When is the last time you saw an old American car that was in good condition? Basicly never. You know how many 3-gen Maximas and older Camrys I see that are in good condition vs American cars of the same vintage? The ratio is not even close.
Old 08-02-2001 | 09:14 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
WTF?? Japanese cars not as good as American cars?? For one, ease up on the "Jap" term bro.

When is the last time you saw an old American car that was in good condition? Basicly never. You know how many 3-gen Maximas and older Camrys I see that are in good condition vs American cars of the same vintage? The ratio is not even close.
yah lovesick watch out, don't use the term "Jap" even if you were just trying to abbreviate it's a racial remark just if you didn't know....

as for american cars, seriously they don't get any attn. true that there are a lot of nice old hot rods, but those were from the olden days, now like they only car about profit.
Old 08-02-2001 | 09:36 AM

Originally posted by AdamK

yah lovesick watch out, don't use the term "Jap" even if you were just trying to abbreviate it's a racial remark just if you didn't know....

as for american cars, seriously they don't get any attn. true that there are a lot of nice old hot rods, but those were from the olden days, now like they only car about profit.
Exactly...GM has lost 1% market share every year for 30 years now...and they still build **** cars and wonder why they're losing market share...

The only American cars I like are

-Ford Mustang
-Chevy Camaro
-Chevy Impala SS (the "Caprice" not the new one)
-Ford Crown Vic (dont know why...)
-2002 Dodge Ram
-Caddy STS/Escalade
-Pontiac Firebird TransAm
Old 08-02-2001 | 12:53 PM

I am not asking who has better quality.

But I am asking why the hell did the Simpson say Japanese build low quality cars?
Old 08-02-2001 | 02:50 PM

This is the first Japanese car I have ever owned. Seeing that it's brand new I haven't, and wouldn't expect to have any problems. I really enjoy the car, it handles great, it's fast and looks great. I am disipointed however on the paint, and maybe that is my lack of knowledge at understanding the proper way to clean a "black" car, but it seems like if a bird drops it's feather on the car, it leaves a mark in the paint. Of course I'm exagerating, but I am concerned on what the car may look like in a few years cosmeticly. The paint/clear coat seems so thin compaired to other cars I've owned.

-O-

01' Blk/Blk SE, Auto, Leather, Meridian, Sunroof, Bose, Z Traction, Mudguards
Old 08-02-2001 | 04:40 PM

Originally posted by LoveSick
I am not asking who has better quality.

But I am asking why the hell did the Simpson say Japanese build low quality cars?

Ah, did you ever consider that it was a sarcastic joke? Besides, look what Homer drives on Simpsons...a pink 1980's Cadillac.
Old 08-02-2001 | 04:50 PM

Overall I think Japanese cars are built better. It's due more to engineering than the assembly build though. The Japanese cars built in the US have good build quality. The Nissan factory in TN won the most efficient factory award in the world.

My wife's '96 Ford Taurus has done very well for reliability. It has 90,000 miles on it so far. It did have some initial problems, but it they were fixed, same as my 2000 Maxima. As a first time Japanese buyer I was a little disappointed that I didn't get that perfect quality that is associated with it.
Old 08-02-2001 | 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
Overall I think Japanese cars are built better. It's due more to engineering than the assembly build though. The Japanese cars built in the US have good build quality. The Nissan factory in TN won the most efficient factory award in the world.

My wife's '96 Ford Taurus has done very well for reliability. It has 90,000 miles on it so far. It did have some initial problems, but it they were fixed, same as my 2000 Maxima. As a first time Japanese buyer I was a little disappointed that I didn't get that perfect quality that is associated with it.
Well, if you look at it that way...then I would say that manufactuing is the most important part of the whole "better quality" car. If suppliers supply you with junk parts...tell me how your engineer or assembly is going to turn those junk parts into a quality product?

Everything has a part in quality...

Engineers design a good system, manufactures must produce quality parts, and finally assemblers have to put together the whole system in such a way that it will function in it's best form...

And please don't mix efficiency with reliability...
Old 08-02-2001 | 06:14 PM

Homer has a Cadaliic?
Old 08-02-2001 | 07:33 PM

Originally posted by LoveSick
Homer has a Cadaliic?

Yep, it's a pink cadillac, 1980's style. It's at the beginning of every episode on the opening credits.