5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dyno'd UDP and lost power - Any Suggestions? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 06:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The links to the dynos are below.

I previously dyno'd stock, with y plus SI, and most recently after the addition of the Unorth. UDP.

The results: Comparing the UDP dyno with the Y/SI dyno, there was no change below 5100 rpms. Above 5100 rpms, it lost power (increasingly) all the way to redline. In fact, it lost the most at peak - about 13-14hp - and ended up basically back to stock peak.

I do not believe it was related to the dyno. I tested on the same dyno with the same operator as before - and ran it 4 times - all the same. I noticed that the fuelcut spike seems to be at a lower rpm (6300). However, it still cuts at 6600. This is the only thing that causes me to question the dyno.

Also, the intake manifold is switching over at 5200 as it should. (Madmax2k visually verified).

Madmax2k, the dyno operator, and I discussed the possibility that the computer was pulling timing. The UDP has a timing ring, could it be defective or somehow installed incorrectly?

I have not ruled out that this problem preceded the UDP. I stalled a couple of times prior. Basically, if I am accelerating hard and then suddenly brake and push in the clutch (i.e. catch a light), the car will stall sometimes. So, the problem could predate the UDP.

Any ideas? Sorry for the long post.

Dynos:
This one is an overlay of stock dyno, y/SI dyno, and the most recent y/SI/UDP.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/maxgator/...revsafter2.bmp
----------------------------
This is an overlay of just y/si dyno and y/si/udp.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/maxgator/beforeVSafterUR.BMP
-----------------------------
This is the UDP with an air fuel plot as well.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/maxgator/airfuel.BMP
-------------------------------
Old 08-05-2001, 07:25 AM
Got Bent?

wierd did you try an ECU reset? Perhaps that may clear out things.....
Old 08-05-2001, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
wierd did you try an ECU reset? Perhaps that may clear out things.....
Well, I disconnected the battery for a few minutes at the shop. How long does it take to reset the ECU?
Old 08-05-2001, 07:44 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Max_Gator

Well, I disconnected the battery for a few minutes at the shop. How long does it take to reset the ECU?
it could take several hours... I would leave it disconnected for overnight and then check it out again.
Old 08-05-2001, 09:36 AM

How many more miles do you have on the car now compared to when you did the first dyno run?
Old 08-05-2001, 09:42 AM

How bout the butt dyno?

Do you feel like it lost 12-13 Whp? I would think you could feel something as significant as that. It could be the dyno flaking out. If you notice a loss, I would switch it back and try again and see if the power jumps back up. Food for thought.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:21 AM

dammit do not tell me this please

i get mine tomm(MOnday) and you say it sucks?
ROger
Old 08-05-2001, 12:07 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Lost power?!?!?! Hmmmm...... something is not right. Maybe you should dyno with and without the UDP on the same day (uninstall it right after you make a few runs).
Old 08-05-2001, 01:23 PM
nc00max

You may want to check out the rest of your engine too, maybe some diagnostics are in order? Like Matticus said, you should also feel some kind of loss too. I had mine dynoed the day I put it on, and my dyno looked exactly like it should. I'd see what other things it might be before narrowing it to the UDP...

Old 08-05-2001, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by nc00max
You may want to check out the rest of your engine too, maybe some diagnostics are in order? Like Matticus said, you should also feel some kind of loss too. I had mine dynoed the day I put it on, and my dyno looked exactly like it should. I'd see what other things it might be before narrowing it to the UDP...
Just curious, what did you dyno before/after the UDP?
Old 08-05-2001, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Lost power?!?!?! Hmmmm...... something is not right. Maybe you should dyno with and without the UDP on the same day (uninstall it right after you make a few runs).
I'm seriously wondering if something else is the problem. I could go get it uninstalled and then re-dyno. That would tell me if it is the UDP - or it would at least tell me it was the pulley or the install.

However, I'm wondering if it is something else. The only place where I lose power on the dyno is up top. When driving my car, it doesn't feel like I'm getting any additional pull in the high 6000s. Where it wanted to keep going past red-line it now feels like there's nothing there. So, that confirms the dyno is right.

BUT, after thinking about it, I may have had this problem before the UDP. Any ideas what could cause the computer to pull the timing?
Old 08-05-2001, 01:57 PM
nc00max

Just curious, what did you dyno before/after the UDP?
Never had it dynoed before the UDP, sorry, but I'm getting it dynoed again on Tues., so I'll post and let you know what I got. I have pretty much the same setup as you, but an auto. I think the gains should be around the same though.

Old 08-05-2001, 03:12 PM
Got Bent?

could have a bad tank of gas? Sounds like a stupid suggestion, but

From the dyno, you can see the intake runner switchover point so that looks ok...
Old 08-06-2001, 05:37 AM

could have a bad tank of gas? Sounds like a stupid suggestion, but

From the dyno, you can see the intake runner switchover point so that looks ok...
Yeah, yesterday I ran it to empty and tried different gas. I always buy super from reputable places.

The intake runners definitely switch over. What I can't figure is why I gained NOTHING below 5100, then had a gradual loss from y/SI power level down to stock at 6600.

It just looks like it is pulling timing.

I guess I'm going to have to take off the UDP, reinstall stock and re-dyno. Grrrr.r.r.r.r....

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-06-2001, 06:01 AM
Got Bent?

Yeah, yesterday I ran it to empty and tried different gas. I always buy super from reputable places.

The intake runners definitely switch over. What I can't figure is why I gained NOTHING below 5100, then had a gradual loss from y/SI power level down to stock at 6600.

It just looks like it is pulling timing.

I guess I'm going to have to take off the UDP, reinstall stock and re-dyno. Grrrr.r.r.r.r....

Thanks for your help.
Uninstall/reinstall sucks Keep us posted on the results though... I am still waiting on my UDP, so I have an interest in them Thanks!
Old 08-09-2001, 11:58 AM

Uninstall/reinstall sucks Keep us posted on the results though... I am still waiting on my UDP, so I have an interest in them Thanks!
Did more testing today.

Madmax2k and I previously dyno'd almost identically both stock and with intake/ypipe (about 203-4).

So, we decided a little road test was in order.

From a roll in 3rd gear through redline there is no difference between his car without the udp and mine with the udp. As well, there appears to be no difference through redline in 4th - although I was behind him so we can't tell for sure.

This has made us skeptical of the dyno results. If my car with udp was indeed losing up to 13 hp against his from 5100 rpms to redline - he should have walked away from me or at least pulled me. He didn't.

So, I will re-dyno and so will he. He thinks that maybe the rpm pickup on the dyno may have been off since the plot shows fuelcut at 6300 rpms instead of 6600rpms.

Of course, if it was just a dyno error - that will mean that the udp appears to do little for the 5th gens.

We'll figure it out sooner. . . or later.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:22 PM
Got Bent?

thanks for the update... so it seems as if the dyno could have been suspect.....

Seems like your test drive shows that the UDP does not do much for you past 3k rpm then.... how about below that? Does it feel any better off the line or at lower rpms? Thanks....
Old 08-09-2001, 01:30 PM

thanks for the update... so it seems as if the dyno could have been suspect.....

Seems like your test drive shows that the UDP does not do much for you past 3k rpm then.... how about below that? Does it feel any better off the line or at lower rpms? Thanks....
Don't think it did anything below either.

Madmax2k and I have run before and basically been pretty much even. Except on the track - where he kills me.

We did a few low gear runs today as well. He pulled a little on me in 1st through 2nd but that may have been because he has CAI and I have SI and it was 95. He seemed to pull a bit when we first hit it. Although one run in just 2nd was dead even.

Also, I was more focusing on whether he was pulling on me from 6k to 6600 rpms than on my shifts. I could not detect a noticeable pull from 6000 - 6600.

That means - either the udp gave me nothing - or there is still some other issue. But there is not a 13 hp difference between the cars - and we had just about as close a comparison as you can.

At least for now the udp stays on. I'll redyno soon.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:01 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hmmmmm...... weird. I hope you sort out your situation.