5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Loud Rear Suspension - Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 11:34 AM

Just bought new '01 Max GLE. When driving today with 4-adults in the car, we all noted a louder than typical noise coming from the rear of the car, believe to be suspension. I can't accurately describe it other than to say it is a kind of "clunk" when we hit minor road bumps. I can't believe it is the suspension bottoming as these are not big road bumps. I drive this road regularly with 4-passengers and have never experienced noticeable rear-end noise from Honda Accord or Ford Taurus. Is a noisy rear suspension with a passenger load normal for Maximas? (Did not hear it driving alone or during any demo drives w/o rear passenger load.)

Anybody else have any experience with this kind of thing?

Your comments will be appreciated.

-Doug-
Old 08-05-2001, 12:08 PM

That's the rear beam suspension for you. It's normal for the max.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:10 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Congrats on your new Max. Have you ever heard this clunk before? The first thing I would check is a loose jack or loose spare tire.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:13 PM

i have the same hollow clunk sound...

i still dont know where its coming from, even after installing new shocks.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:20 PM

Similar problem. I've had my car since Aug '99, but only noticed this clunking soon after I installed my rsb (couple weeks ago). It clunks while driving down a straightaway and hitting a bump, and only while I have passengers in the rear. It was loud enough for everyone to go "What the..."

I'm gonna check the rsb and make sure it's still screwed on tight, then see if the clunk is still present. For the other folks w/ rsb's, how far in from the ends of the axle do you have the brackets that go over the axle? The instructions that came with the bar had some cryptic message about how the performance of the bar varies with where you put these brackets.
Old 08-05-2001, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Congrats on your new Max. Have you ever heard this clunk before? The first thing I would check is a loose jack or loose spare tire.
Thanks, I'll double check the tire & jack. Sure hope it's not a regular sound as a result of the cheaper beam suspension. I would find it hard to believe that a "family" car, i.e. designed to carry 4-5 passengers would have such an annoying and pronounced noise for hitting bumps. Never saw mention of it in Consumer Reports, car mags, or countless other user reviews I encountered on the web. For a vehicle as refined as the Max, I can't believe a Taurus, Chevy or lower cost Honda would be a quieter riding car (suspension wise).
Old 08-05-2001, 04:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think I had the same problem, someone suggested on the board that it was the passenger rear brake...and suggested to brake (Just hold the brakes like all the people we hate...) and the noise will stop. If this is so take it into a shop for FREE warranty repair. My explanation was rear end "clunks" over rough pavement and goes away after I brake...

They had to replace my whole passenger rear brake caliper and all is well, now its the car I thought I was getting...there was just something about the noise that didn't sound right. Most of my friends said it was the larger tires and beam suspension, coming from a Dodge Neon with 14" wheels...I began to believe them...thank god I always investigate a little more.

Anyways...good luck hope this helps.

ZaCh
Old 08-05-2001, 08:14 PM
BuddyWh

I assume you have a Cattman (ADDCO) RSB... I just insalled one. The instructions say to locate the beam bushing brackets as close to the bends as possible for best bar performance. I had to locate them 4 or 5" in from the bends, though, to assure they don't interfere with the lateral link when the suspension bottoms... elsewise it will "clunk"!! Maybe that's the problem other people are haveing??

Performance is still quite nice, but I wonder what it would be like with the beam bushings closer to the bends. I think I'll try it both ways when I get a FSTB.

Originally posted by Spartan5

I'm gonna check the rsb and make sure it's still screwed on tight, then see if the clunk is still present. For the other folks w/ rsb's, how far in from the ends of the axle do you have the brackets that go over the axle? The instructions that came with the bar had some cryptic message about how the performance of the bar varies with where you put these brackets.

Old 08-05-2001, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by Spartan5
Similar problem. I've had my car since Aug '99, but only noticed this clunking soon after I installed my rsb (couple weeks ago). It clunks while driving down a straightaway and hitting a bump, and only while I have passengers in the rear. It was loud enough for everyone to go "What the..."

i bet ur sway bar is hittig the bottom of the rear axle try moving it away from it more and it should clear up the noise!
Old 08-06-2001, 07:23 AM

I have the same noise in my 01 SE. I took it to the dealer but they couldn't hear it. Finally took them all on test drive and they heard the clang (on certain bumps only). They said it was the struts and replaced them. Afterwards, it seemed better but could still hear it. I just ignored it. Now I have a Stillen RSB and it seems to amplify the noise a bit. Still can't figure it out...just accept the fact it is a noise beam suspension... tired of bring the car to the dealer....
Old 08-06-2001, 03:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by To-the-Max-ima
I have the same noise in my 01 SE. I took it to the dealer but they couldn't hear it. Finally took them all on test drive and they heard the clang (on certain bumps only). They said it was the struts and replaced them. Afterwards, it seemed better but could still hear it. I just ignored it. Now I have a Stillen RSB and it seems to amplify the noise a bit. Still can't figure it out...just accept the fact it is a noise beam suspension... tired of bring the car to the dealer....
Have you tried to hold the brake while going over your "rought pavement"...the best way I found to replicate this noise was to drive over "mini" speed bumps (like a spike strip butt no spikes...) once without holding the brake and once holding the brake...not healthy for the car but certainly shows where the problem is coming from...

ZaCh
Old 08-06-2001, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Try to search the 5th gen forum for "rear brake noise" I got a couple of hits...maybe these will help out?

ZaCh
Old 08-06-2001, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by ZachMax
Try to search the 5th gen forum for "rear brake noise" I got a couple of hits...maybe these will help out?

ZaCh
Thanks ZaCh. I tried your suggestion
Old 08-06-2001, 06:49 PM

Reply To ZachMax

Thanks for your help. I don't have any mods to my new GLE, so the posted comments along those lines are not applicable. I did the obvious by checking for loose items in the trunk, etc. The problem noise is still there, but I cannot duplicate it at will, so this will be tough for dealer to find. I will try your brake test. But I suspect I'll have to take some folks from the dealership for a ride & try to get it to surface. Very disappointed that the highly touted Max has this kind of a problem, especially so if it is a "normal" thing related to cheap beam suspension -which shouldn't be on a car of this caliber. Heck, I'm traveling this week and my rental car is a Hyundai Sonata, and it has a quieter rear end/suspension on rough roads! Unbelieveable. But I'll hold out for the possibility that there is another cause and that my dealership will work diligently with me to determine for sure the cause and get it corrected if possible. I'm really bummed about this.

Still open to hearing other "clunking" experiences to a non-modified Maxs.

Thanks to all,
-Doug-

Originally posted by ZachMax
I think I had the same problem, someone suggested on the board that it was the passenger rear brake...and suggested to brake (Just hold the brakes like all the people we hate...) and the noise will stop. If this is so take it into a shop for FREE warranty repair. My explanation was rear end "clunks" over rough pavement and goes away after I brake...

They had to replace my whole passenger rear brake caliper and all is well, now its the car I thought I was getting...there was just something about the noise that didn't sound right. Most of my friends said it was the larger tires and beam suspension, coming from a Dodge Neon with 14" wheels...I began to believe them...thank god I always investigate a little more.

Anyways...good luck hope this helps.

ZaCh
Old 08-06-2001, 07:56 PM

I had that same clunk before and after I installed by RSB (on speedbumps). It's the multilink beam suspension showing its true colors.
Old 08-06-2001, 09:56 PM

Doug: From what you wrote, I wasn't sure if you checked the jack or not. I'd do that for sure like what Y2KevSE recommended because when it's loose, it makes a pretty loud clunking sound. Other than that, what everyone else said about our wonderful rear beam.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:10 PM

Doug: From what you wrote, I wasn't sure if you checked the jack or not. I'd do that for sure like what Y2KevSE recommended because when it's loose, it makes a pretty loud clunking sound. Other than that, what everyone else said about our wonderful rear beam.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:11 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Stuttering, Terrence?