5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stillen Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 05:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was lookin in Stillen's web site and they recommend not having the Y-pipe installed in an automatic transmission with a supercharger. Any reason for this? -Also, how much horsepower will I gain with just the supercharger installed?
-Can the supercharger damage my auto trans? Will the supercharger make my Max noisy?
Old 08-11-2001, 06:36 PM

With the supercharger you the amount of hp gain will depend on the pulley you run...stock i'd say about 60hp gain35 lbs of t. Anybody have a dyno of just that? I think thats right but don't hold me to it. Yes teh s/c will kill your tranny. You need the vb mod from Don or level 10 and a hayden tranny cooler 405 or 404. NOisy? NOt really. Little bit.
Old 08-11-2001, 10:13 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by titot4u
I was lookin in Stillen's web site and they recommend not having the Y-pipe installed in an automatic transmission with a supercharger. Any reason for this? -Also, how much horsepower will I gain with just the supercharger installed?
-Can the supercharger damage my auto trans? Will the supercharger make my Max noisy?
It's not recommended because the auto tranny from Nissan is weak. You should get Don's valvebody recalibration (as stated by max'n out because getting the SC. The SC will sort of make your car noisier...
Old 08-12-2001, 07:37 AM

Sorry to tell you . . .

but Stillen WILL NOT sell you a supercharger kit if you have an auto 5th Gen for the mere reason that the stock tranny CANNOT handle the power. I was the first and last auto 5th Gen owner that they sold it to. They discovered the weak tranny problems with my car and have since decided not to sell it to auto owners due to liability implications. Y2KeV bought his from someone on the forum. The charger is virtually silent. Presupercharger dyno #s: 174 FWHP & 173 ft-lbs of torque. Postsupercharger (only SCer) dyno #s: 250 FWHP & 217 ft-lbs of torque. You could always tell Stillen that you have a 5-speed but you will have to modify the airfilter assembly unit to get it to fit and DEFINITELY BEEF UP YOUR TRANNY!! Good luck.
Old 08-12-2001, 10:22 AM

When I orederd my s/c I got it from avalon for 600 bucks less. And they never asked if it was a 5 speed or auto. I also asked stillen directly what there prob was and told them the commen solutions ie vb and tranny cooler. They said that should be enough though they woun't back up the warrenty. But if you read the fine print they don't back up nothing. So I say if you want it be honest and just tell them you know what to do. Legally they can't refuse to sell it to you. There just not gonna honer any warrentys.
Old 08-12-2001, 10:30 AM

Eaton Superchargers

We need this company to make a sc for our maxima's.

http://www.jacksonracing.com/pages/supercharger.html

It is the same sc that come on the sc'd Nissan pickup, Ford Lightning and Mercedes vehicles.

I email them to see if there is a chance of development, though I doubt it.

--Ray
Old 08-12-2001, 02:31 PM

S/C on an auto

We just finished a 2000k auto with a supercharger. We had to do some moving of parts and we changed the install vs. the instructions. We also fabricated a little different intake so we did not have to mess with the tranny linkage assembly.

Clearly the optimum situation is to have a Level 10 tranny added to the car with the auto. The main trick is to have the Nissan re-call work done and never launch the car (WOT) from a dead stop.

The customer was out running the car for a few days already and saw no problems. We also changed the fluid to NEO.

Regards

Old 08-12-2001, 02:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Eaton Superchargers

if that creates some competition & competitive pricing I'm all 4 it! keep us posted!

tkx!

Originally posted by raynist
We need this company to make a sc for our maxima's.

http://www.jacksonracing.com/pages/supercharger.html

It is the same sc that come on the sc'd Nissan pickup, Ford Lightning and Mercedes vehicles.

I email them to see if there is a chance of development, though I doubt it.

--Ray
Old 08-12-2001, 03:51 PM

Is level 10's replacment tranny a 4 or 5 speed auto. I really want a 5 speed auto. IF theres isn't does anybody know of a 5 speed auto that fits? Ie benz clk tranny vw/auto 5 speed auto? What are the advantages other than stronger tranny that level 10 has. Faster shift? Better hp transfer? 3k is alot to replace just cuz nissan messed up. how come nissan built such a great engine and poppey trany
Old 08-12-2001, 08:29 PM

I called Stillen last week, since I noticed that their website did not exlude automatics. The rep reported the same old story. They won't sell it to any automatics unless they have Level 10 or equivalent work done.
Old 08-12-2001, 08:51 PM

Re: S/C on an auto

Originally posted by Avalon Racing
We just finished a 2000k auto with a supercharger. We had to do some moving of parts and we changed the install vs. the instructions. We also fabricated a little different intake so we did not have to mess with the tranny linkage assembly.

Clearly the optimum situation is to have a Level 10 tranny added to the car with the auto. The main trick is to have the Nissan re-call work done and never launch the car (WOT) from a dead stop.

The customer was out running the car for a few days already and saw no problems. We also changed the fluid to NEO.

Regards

Hi,
How much is such a fine service from avalon for us auto guys?
Best regards,
Fast Walker
Old 08-13-2001, 03:58 AM

Re: Re: S/C on an auto

We charge about 14 hours labor to do the install. This assumes that the Nissan upgrade was done in advance. This also includes new plugs - tune etc.

Regards

Originally posted by Fast Walker

Hi,
How much is such a fine service from avalon for us auto guys?
Best regards,
Fast Walker