5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stillen RSTB vs. Stillen RSB, and Stillen RSB vs. Addco RSB

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 08:58 PM

Guys and Girls,
I need forums opinions on 2 things.
I am thinking about purchasing Stillen RSTB or Stillen RSB,
which one is better for the max to improve the car handling?

The second thing is the good and bad of the Stillen RSB vs. Addco RSB, because addco is $100 cheaper compare to stillen.
But Stillen RSB looks so much more solid compare to Addco RSB.
I heard, by installing Addco RSB you will loose the spot for the jack.

These are the current prices I got from Phuong
Stillen FSTB $174 back ordered for 1 week
Stillen RSB $234 (I think)

Addco RS from custommaxima.com $145
Stillen RSTB $202.5 from Avalon racing

Thank you
Old 08-14-2001, 10:06 PM
RBa

I heard, by installing Addco RSB you will loose the spot for the jack.

Where did you hear this Baloney?!!!! Who ever said this to you needs to reinstall his RSB the correct way b/c it doesn't go anywhere near the jack spots....

BTW......
I have the Addco rsb and it does wonders around the corners.
Stillen is supposedly better b/c it's adjustable and can be tighten one more level compared to the Addco... But I still think it's way overed price for such a little improvement.
As for the RSTB, it's suppose to do the same as the FSTB but ppl say they don't feel a thing after installing it.. Just stick with a Stillen RSB and if you don't have a FSTB yet, get that as well.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:08 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by RBa
[i]
As for the RSTB, it's suppose to do the same as the FSTB but ppl say they don't feel a thing after installing it.. Just stick with a Stillen RSB and if you don't have a FSTB yet, get that as well.
Yeah... what he says.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by RBa
[i]
Where did you hear this Baloney?!!!! Who ever said this to you needs to reinstall his RSB the correct way b/c it doesn't go anywhere near the jack spots....
Actually, when you install the Addco RSB, you lose the rear multi-link beam as a jacking point, ie, you can't jack the whole back up because the bar gets in the way. You can still jack the back from the left and right sides.

The Stillen bar I think can be moved out of the way, so you can still use the rear beam as a jacking point.

Tanmann9
2000 Maxima SE black automatic
Enkei RS6 18" wheels
Nitto NT555 tires
Pioneer CD receiver and changer
AE door sills
Powered by Nissan seatbelt covers
Old 08-14-2001, 10:40 PM

there a stillen rstb on ebay

theres a rear strut tower brace on ebay, i came upon it while surfing, you can find it when you go to SEARCH and type in STILLEN. i think new or used they will perform the same and you can save more money. the stillen line of things look better and sturdier and since most of his stuff is race-developed it should be a little better, but the prices are outrageous. i got the stillen RSB and its awesome. hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:48 PM

Ditto the positive comment about the Stillen RSB...and with the FSTB as well...just awesome! I also don't see any reason to add the RSTB, get just the RSB and FSTB if you can swing it.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by Tanmann9

Actually, when you install the Addco RSB, you lose the rear multi-link beam as a jacking point, ie, you can't jack the whole back up because the bar gets in the way. You can still jack the back from the left and right sides.

The Stillen bar I think can be moved out of the way, so you can still use the rear beam as a jacking point.

Tanmann9
2000 Maxima SE black automatic
Enkei RS6 18" wheels
Nitto NT555 tires
Pioneer CD receiver and changer
AE door sills
Powered by Nissan seatbelt covers
If you install the Stillen RSB correctly, I believe it is supposed to rest under the beam as well. So even if it's adjustable, I think you still have to undo the bolts so I'm not sure how advantageous that would be.

BTW, you should put all your mods in your sig so that you don't have to type/copy&paste it every time.
Old 08-15-2001, 04:38 AM
Got Bent?

you still have a half inch or so clearance to jack that car up if your RSB is under the rear beam.... Just don't jack it up using the RSB as a jack point....
Old 08-15-2001, 07:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg

BTW, you should put all your mods in your sig so that you don't have to type/copy&paste it every time.
I don't post that often, so it's not much work.

Tanmann9
2000 Maxima SE Black Automatic
Old 08-15-2001, 07:24 AM
BuddyWh

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
you still have a half inch or so clearance to jack that car up if your RSB is under the rear beam.... Just don't jack it up using the RSB as a jack point....
I have installed an Addco RSB on my '01 GXE . I believe that if I would get a block of 4x4 wood and cut a slot in it just wide enough to clear the bar I could use a single floor jack, with the block on the cradle in the center of the beam to lift the entire rear end. This would use both sides of the beam, which is an inverted "U" cross section with a torsion bar running in the center of it. If you use one side only, I'd be concerned about the effect from torquing the beam.

There is still sufficient room on the beam ends at each wheel to use jack stands. Haven't tried it yet, though, coz' I haven't had cause to raise the rear since I installed the bar!

Just toss the block in the trunk and make sure any garage I might take the Maxima to uses it; I always insist on checking the jack points a strange garage uses any way.

BTW, it makes for an amazing improvement in handling and feel through corners. Can't wait for the FSTB.

Old 08-15-2001, 07:25 AM

So combination of FSTB and RSB supposed to give the best combination for the money.
At this moment I am looking @
Stillen FSTB $174 plus ship
Stillen RSB $234 plus ship
all prices from phuong www.eatricezone.com

So I'll not losing any jacking point at the side of the car, only the rear multi link beam as a jacking point, or there is a little bit of clearance.

I will get both of them, my check from IRS just arrive
Thank you
Old 08-15-2001, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by exunaja
So combination of FSTB and RSB supposed to give the best combination for the money.
At this moment I am looking @
Stillen FSTB $174 plus ship
Stillen RSB $234 plus ship
all prices from phuong www.eatricezone.com

So I'll not losing any jacking point at the side of the car, only the rear multi link beam as a jacking point, or there is a little bit of clearance.

I will get both of them, my check from IRS just arrive
Thank you
You'll LOVE the change in responsiveness! There are probably a few other ways to spend the IRS check, but I like the way you plan on doing it.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rear Bar Comparisons

Stillen RSTB

Advantage
makes your rear end tighter. (of your car . . .)

Dis-Advantage
Goes thru the trunk, making less trunk space.
The Maxima has a 'built-in' RSTB, so to speak. The speaker shelf. It's position helps to keep the rear shocks in tandem.
Most people say that the RSTB doesn't really do that much, perhaps because of the rear speaker shelf mentioned above.

Stillen RSB

Advantage
Makes your rear end tighter.
Easily Adjustable.
Does not take away trunk space.
Leaves your center rear jack point so you can still jack up the rear of the car from one jack point.

Dis-Advantages
$$$
The bar is hollow.

Addco RSB

Advantages
$$$
Makes your rear end tighter.
Adjustable.
Does not take away trunk space.
Solid thick bar.

Dis-advantages
Takes away mount point for rear of car. You have to jack up 2 sides to fully lift the rear of car.
Not so easily adjustable, but it is.

I have the ADDCO

DW
Old 08-15-2001, 10:16 AM

Hei dwapenyi

Thank you for your reply, it was great explanation.
I really like the way you explain this concept, so I drop the RSTB and move on with the sway bar and Stillen still my choice.

I am ordering it right now, and I can't wait.

hmmmmmmm yummy
Old 08-15-2001, 12:14 PM

Re: Rear Bar Comparisons

Originally posted by dwapenyi
. . . Most people say that the RSTB doesn't really do that much, perhaps because of the rear speaker shelf mentioned above. . .
The major reason a RSTB doesn't do much for a Maxima is because the rear wheel camber is not sensitive to movement of the rear strut towers (it's determined by the stiffness of the beam axle instead). What you do gain from a RSTB is some overall chassis stiffening that can help your efforts at chassis tuning for at the limit cornering at an autocross or road course but which offers minimal gain for the street and about zero help at the dragstrip.

Norm
Old 08-15-2001, 12:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Rear Bar Comparisons

Ok then. Perhaps not for the speaker shelf part.

So then, Norm, do you have a beer buddy named Cliff Claven who hangs at your local waterhole named Cheers? Say hello to Dr. Frazier Krane for me. He's one cooky psychiatrist. I hear he has a radio show in Seattle now. .

DW

Originally posted by Norm Peterson

The major reason a RSTB doesn't do much for a Maxima is because the rear wheel camber is not sensitive to movement of the rear strut towers (it's determined by the stiffness of the beam axle instead). What you do gain from a RSTB is some overall chassis stiffening that can help your efforts at chassis tuning for at the limit cornering at an autocross or road course but which offers minimal gain for the street and about zero help at the dragstrip.

Norm
Old 08-15-2001, 01:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Rear Bar Comparisons

Originally posted by dwapenyi
. . . So then, Norm, do you have a beer buddy named Cliff Claven who hangs at your local waterhole named Cheers? Say hello to Dr. Frazier Krane for me. He's one cooky psychiatrist. I hear he has a radio show in Seattle now. .
. . .
For a while there really was a guy named Cliff who occupied the cubicle next to mine. And I also have been in the original downstairs bar in Boston that was the inspiration for the Cheers! setting a couple of times, once before the show ran, once after the last episode ran (good for a free draft that time). Trivia Q: who was the last patron to walk out the door and up the steps at the end of the series finale? And maybe my wife can get in touch with one of her old girlfriends who moved out somewhere near Seattle . . .

Norm