5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brake Judder TSB

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 07:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I know you guys have discussed this in other threads, but I didn't find any information that applies to my situation. I think I have brake judder. The problem started at 22K miles, but that's also about the time I started moding my car. After driving hard for a little bit, the brakes start making a grunching (half grinding, half crunching) noise. There's no real vibration of the steering wheel, but some vibration with the front end of the car.
My biggest problem is, I have after-market 18" wheels and low-profile tires. The dealer will probably give me crap about it, since I already went in for the A/T slippage TSB and they said there was nothing wrong, that I had read something on the internet and assumed my car was affected. Funny, since after they checked it out, the problem went away (can they perform the TCM swap in 8 hours? cause that's how long they had my car).

Tanman
2000 Maxima SE Black Automatic
18" wheels and tires, no other external mods
Old 08-18-2001, 07:37 PM

I get that half grinding, half crunching noise too. It happens after a couple of hard stops. I may take my car in to get that looked at soon.
Old 08-18-2001, 07:40 PM

I've been considering getting a brake kit from GR Racing to fix this problem, and to improve braking power. But it's almost $600 with shipping. If this TSB applies to me, I'll just get new brake pads. Hopefully the dealer will honor the TSB even though I have the bigger wheels.
Old 08-18-2001, 08:29 PM

Ack, no one's replying to my post! What I really want to know is, has anyone had any problems getting their brake rotors fixed\replaced if they have aftermarket or plus-sized wheels?
Old 08-18-2001, 09:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Tanmann9
Ack, no one's replying to my post! What I really want to know is, has anyone had any problems getting their brake rotors fixed\replaced if they have aftermarket or plus-sized wheels?
I don't think anyone has had this unique issue ... give it a try .. u have nothing 2 lose .. btw .. where r u?
Old 08-18-2001, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by ohboiya

I don't think anyone has had this unique issue ... give it a try .. u have nothing 2 lose .. btw .. where r u?
I'm in Houston, TX. I want to get it checked out, but the problem is that I went to the dealer for another TSB and they said there was no problem. So if I go there for every TSB I think applies to me, they're not going to be very friendly. And i'm worried that if I bring this brake judder issue to their attention, they'll just blame it on the big wheels and not give quality service in the future.
I could go to another dealer, but this one is supposed to be one of the better ones in town and they're very close to where I work.

Tanman
2000 Maxima SE TSB magnet
Old 08-18-2001, 10:23 PM

Buddy you have the Brake Judder problem. I picked up my Max used with 27,000 miles on it. I noticed at high speed with heavy brake pressure it felt like I didn't have any brake pads installed. It was the "grunching" effect. One time, I had someone pull out in front of me and when I slammed on the brakes I thought the whole front of the car was going to come apart. It made me nervous to drive my car. I got the TSB from PI0NEER and took it to a Nissan service center. Afterwards it was perfect. I can get on the brakes really hard now, no grinding no crunching, no judder. Check my website for the TSB.
Old 08-23-2001, 11:15 AM
BuddyWh

He might give you troubles if....

Originally posted by Tanmann9
Your dealer should not cause you any troubles for adding aftermarket wheels/tires alone. But he could claim the shop that mounted the wheels overtorqued the lugs. You may want to loosen and re-torque them yourself before taking it in.

This is the #1 cause of rotor warping... overtorqueing and/or imbalance torquing the lugs with impact wrenches. Always insist they torque by hand using a torque wrench, and watch them while they do it just to make sure!