5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

17" tires HELP!! in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 05:09 PM
ndsimm

I was driving on hwy 290 and ran over a grill that some idiot left on the freeway and got a "bubble" on the sidewall of one of my tires. When I called Firestone to get a replacement, I was quoted $218.00 with balancing and mounting...$218.00!!!! is there any cheaper option for the 17" Potenzas that are on my SE? Thanks

Old 08-21-2001, 05:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

Get online. Firestone charges an arm/leg/first born child for tires. Try using the www.discounttire.com regional store finder and prices. www.tirerack.com will also have internet pricing but go get that price, it's online only.
Old 08-21-2001, 06:20 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

Originally posted by ndsimm
I was driving on hwy 290 and ran over a grill that some idiot left on the freeway and got a "bubble" on the sidewall of one of my tires. When I called Firestone to get a replacement, I was quoted $218.00 with balancing and mounting...$218.00!!!! is there any cheaper option for the 17" Potenzas that are on my SE? Thanks
First of all, where on 290? I don't want to hit the same thing. Second, your tires should have road hazard on them from the dealership. Look in your tire warranty book, it gives the details. I do have one question for you though, what dealership do you go to for warranty work? BakerJackson seems to be a ***** when it comes to TSB's.
Old 08-21-2001, 07:47 PM

Try discount tire they usually have the best prices in town. Any time I everywent to NTB they were always ****** and didn't want to help you out.

As far as dealerships I go to Mossy (I-10 at Dairy Ashford) that's where I got my Max and they have always treated me well. No questions when I brought it in for the brake judder TSB.
Old 08-22-2001, 03:53 AM
ndsimm

The clown was towing a barbecue pit and lost the grill from the inside. it's gone now...I have been looking for a good service location myself and haven't found one. I got my max from BakerJackson but the few times I have gone for basic service, they were jerks, so I am looking for service help myself
Originally posted by Rob'sAE

First of all, where on 290? I don't want to hit the same thing. Second, your tires should have road hazard on them from the dealership. Look in your tire warranty book, it gives the details. I do have one question for you though, what dealership do you go to for warranty work? BakerJackson seems to be a ***** when it comes to TSB's.

Old 08-22-2001, 07:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mossy

Check any Discount Tire store for new tires at a local store, the stock ones suck. 240 tread wear rating, bleah.

I'm in Houston too, and Mossy's a good place to go, I think. I took my 2000 SE in for the A/T slippage TSB and the service manager was cool but the tech who checked my car was a jerk. He accused me of reading about the TSB on the internet, then assuming I had the problem. Funny, since after they checked out my car and did a mini-tune-up, the problem went away. I guess they replaced the TCM in the 8 hours they had my car.

I'm about to have them check for the brake judder problem, we'll see how they treat this.

Tanman
2000 Maxima SE Black Automatic
Old 08-22-2001, 11:12 AM
ndsimm

Re: Mossy

Help me out, what's TSB? Also, I have noticed that sometimes when I brake, I get some major vibration from the front and it feels like more than just ABS...any ideas?

Old 08-22-2001, 04:36 PM

Re: Re: Mossy

Originally posted by ndsimm
Help me out, what's TSB? Also, I have noticed that sometimes when I brake, I get some major vibration from the front and it feels like more than just ABS...any ideas?
TSB - Technical Service Bulletin.
read this forum http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=29351

I used to have the same problem that you have with your braking now. I took it to Colonial Nissan ( Philly ) and they fiexed it for free. Replaced front brakes ( and something else ), and took care of the rotors.

So get to your local dealer, tell them about your problem, and they should fix it for free. The whole fix takes no more than two hours.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

TSBs are notices that a company puts out to let you know of problems they've found with their product.

In most cases, dealerships will honor the TSB and provide free repair service if the car is still under warranty.

In your case with the weird grinding feeling with your front brakes, they have seen that problem on a lot of Maximas. I have the problem on mine, and I'm taking it in for service this week. You should visit a dealer too, before the problem gets worse. It's covered under warranty. Take it to Mossy, I've heard bad things about Lone Star and Baker-Jackson, but that might have been isolated incidents.

Tanman
2000 Maxima SE Black Automatic