5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5spd fuel cut issue...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 04:20 AM

I have my 2K1 SE that seems to have the symptoms of the fuel cut issue. When in first gear at around 1500 RPMs when I give it a little gas it seems as if the car lunges forward, and when the gas is let off it feels as if gas to the engine just stops. It seems like the on/off symptoms of the fuel cut issue. It only seems to be noticable in first gear. For those that had this problem fixed, how hard was it for get Nissan to do the work, and what did they do to fix it. I have a free oil change from my dealer coming up and I want to have them fix this problem also. I just wanted a little insight from the org before I go.

Thanks.

Mat
Old 08-22-2001, 05:36 AM
RussMaxManiac

Take a copy of the TSB into him, and let them fix it. That's what I did and it worked.

Originally posted by Matticus
I have my 2K1 SE that seems to have the symptoms of the fuel cut issue. When in first gear at around 1500 RPMs when I give it a little gas it seems as if the car lunges forward, and when the gas is let off it feels as if gas to the engine just stops. It seems like the on/off symptoms of the fuel cut issue. It only seems to be noticable in first gear. For those that had this problem fixed, how hard was it for get Nissan to do the work, and what did they do to fix it. I have a free oil change from my dealer coming up and I want to have them fix this problem also. I just wanted a little insight from the org before I go.

Thanks.

Mat

Old 08-22-2001, 06:07 AM

Bringing the TSB always drops thier jaw. However if anyone asks tell them you got it from Nissan directly and you can't remember who. Those documents are TECHNICALLY covered by copywrite and belong to Nissan NA.
Old 08-22-2001, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by bert
Bringing the TSB always drops thier jaw. However if anyone asks tell them you got it from Nissan directly and you can't remember who. Those documents are TECHNICALLY covered by copywrite and belong to Nissan NA.
Yeah my first gear does that too when i use 89 Premium gas, but now i use 93 Octane all the time and never hear that pinging noise again.
Old 08-23-2001, 08:13 PM
Bob_Jaap

RussMaxManiac,

I also had the fuel Cut TSB performed on my 5 speed Maxima. Afterward I've noticed it sounds like there is a fan running all the time. I've turned of the climate control and checked under the hood to see if the radiater cooling fans are running. They are not. The noise is always there. The dealer's explanation is that the TSB opened up the plenum a little and that is what is creating the noise. I don't buy it. The radio must be off or low and the engine idling.

Has anyone else noticed the fan sound?

Thanks.

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Take a copy of the TSB into him, and let them fix it. That's what I did and it worked.

Old 08-23-2001, 08:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Bob_Jaap
RussMaxManiac,

I also had the fuel Cut TSB performed on my 5 speed Maxima. Afterward I've noticed it sounds like there is a fan running all the time. I've turned of the climate control and checked under the hood to see if the radiater cooling fans are running. They are not. The noise is always there. The dealer's explanation is that the TSB opened up the plenum a little and that is what is creating the noise. I don't buy it. The radio must be off or low and the engine idling.

Has anyone else noticed the fan sound?

Thanks.

I have a similar problem. After the TSB work was performed, I could hear a slight hiss (kind of sounds like a vacuum line is disconnected) whenever I blip the throttle. It doesn't make that sound when I am at any constant RPM. I was told by Nissan that it is an auxillary air valve opening and is perfectly normal. I'm not sure I buy it, but I have had no Check Engine lights and my car does not stutter nearly as bad. Performance seems a little better too, so I'm not complaining.
Old 08-23-2001, 09:01 PM
Bob_Jaap

So I'm really not the only one that hears it. Sometimes I just enjoy quiet. It's hard to get with a 4 year old in the house. :-)

Originally posted by MS 2K1 AE

I have a similar problem. After the TSB work was performed, I could hear a slight hiss (kind of sounds like a vacuum line is disconnected) whenever I blip the throttle. It doesn't make that sound when I am at any constant RPM. I was told by Nissan that it is an auxillary air valve opening and is perfectly normal. I'm not sure I buy it, but I have had no Check Engine lights and my car does not stutter nearly as bad. Performance seems a little better too, so I'm not complaining.

Old 08-25-2001, 10:25 AM

hmm

Im so used to that touchy clutch now.. Should I bother bringing it in?? do you think it makes it faster??