5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tl

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 03:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was wondering if a regular 3.2 TL can beat an automatic maxima (2001).....im gonna race my friend soon and i wanna know what the outcome woudl be...but im definetely racing even if my car is slower
Old 09-03-2001, 03:52 PM
nc00max

I'm not sure what the tranny of those things sucks out before the wheels, but from the engine he has a whopping 3 hp on you, with about 250-300lbs. more weight. The good news for you is they only come in auto form. Make sure you torque brake and manually shift and you should do just fine.

Old 09-03-2001, 03:58 PM

i thought we have 2 more HP TL is 200 HP and maxima is 220 HP and he has sports shift....torque breaking is that holding brake wid left and reving wid right thing right?
Old 09-03-2001, 04:18 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

An auto max even bone stock can take a 3.2 tl that is stock as well. You won't blow his doors off, but you start pulling on him around 40. My friend has a 3.2tl and we have raced on several occasions during different conditions and he has never pulled out in front of me. From the line, rolling starts or highways romps; he has tried all the tricks with his trans and it has never helped. The only thing I've got is an intake too. I would say good luck, but you won't have a problem. You can torque brake if you want, but it's not really necessary.
Old 09-03-2001, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by MaDxKiLLa
i thought we have 2 more HP TL is 200 HP and maxima is 220 HP and he has sports shift....torque breaking is that holding brake wid left and reving wid right thing right?

The 1st generation 3.2TL had the Type1 Legend 200HP 3.2 V6. The 2nd generation, the one you are racing, has a 225HP 3.2 V6 paired with a 5speed automatic. I've raced 3 so far and I've beat two, lost to one that was modified. All of the races were from a rolling 30mph start.

Key thing is to Manual up or downshift and turn off your O/D so it won't prematurely upshift into 4th. If you do it right, you will most likely get him on a roll, but stand start would mostly be driver reaction.
Old 09-03-2001, 04:35 PM
Got Bent?

get a good launch by either flashing the TC or brake torquing and shift manually. You should be fine then.
Old 09-03-2001, 06:31 PM
Webologist

I was wondering if a regular 3.2 TL can beat an automatic maxima (2001).....im gonna race my friend soon and i wanna know what the outcome woudl be...but im definetely racing even if my car is slower
The 99 TL has a 4 speed auto and 225 HP V6. In 2000 it got a 5 speed and became much quicker. In 2002 they came out with the TL-S and added a 260 HP V6 and 17 Inch Wheels/tires, you can identify it by a red S on the back.

If it's the first you have a very good chance. Motor trend listed it at 7.4 seconds 0-60. They listed the auto Max at 8.0 but I think that time could have been improved on.

If it's the second it can be pretty quick 6.7 0-60 according to Motor Trend which matches the 0-60 of the 5 Speed Manual SE exactly as tested by the mag. You have more agressive tires which will help you. The 5 speed auto is a big advantage over the 4 speed. 1-3 are aggressive, the shift to 4th is a big jump though. This happens about 100 MPH. It will take him a while to get back into the top of the power band after the 3 to 4 shift. Most TLs you run into will be this one.

If it's the third, good luck. Motor Trend listed 0-60 at 6.28.

Let us know how it turns out.

Regards
-w

Old 09-03-2001, 06:39 PM

thanx for info......bytheway most auto mags say auto max is 7.8 sec 0-60...i dunno when i am gonna race him but i will kick his ***
Old 09-03-2001, 08:28 PM
nc00max

\

Basically. I usually hold the brake pedal with my left and rev it up to about 1.5-1.8K. Any more seems like it's putting more strain on the brakes than I prefer. But you still get a pretty good launch this way. Like I was saying before, make sure to manually shift so you can take full advantage of your powerband. I bump it from 1-2 right at 6K rpms, and from 2-3 at 6300-6400. But if he's a TL-S, be sure to have a fire extingiusher ready for when he torches you, at any speed. My friend's CL-S gets me by 1 to 1 1/2 car lengths by 90, and very consistently. From there on up he doesn't pull anymore, but we've very rarely ever found conditions decent enough to try out our high end. We go out cruising all the time and the result is always the same. And that's with my mods too. But I think you should be able to take a regular TL, no matter what the mags say. The closest thing I have beaten to that before mods was a 3.2CL which is lighter with the same engine. Only one way to find out for sure though. Let us know how it goes.

Old 09-03-2001, 08:58 PM
PhatGuy

Magazine world.....

Originally posted by Webologist

The 99 TL has a 4 speed auto and 225 HP V6. In 2000 it got a 5 speed and became much quicker. In 2002 they came out with the TL-S and added a 260 HP V6 and 17 Inch Wheels/tires, you can identify it by a red S on the back.

If it's the first you have a very good chance. Motor trend listed it at 7.4 seconds 0-60. They listed the auto Max at 8.0 but I think that time could have been improved on.

If it's the second it can be pretty quick 6.7 0-60 according to Motor Trend which matches the 0-60 of the 5 Speed Manual SE exactly as tested by the mag. You have more agressive tires which will help you. The 5 speed auto is a big advantage over the 4 speed. 1-3 are aggressive, the shift to 4th is a big jump though. This happens about 100 MPH. It will take him a while to get back into the top of the power band after the 3 to 4 shift. Most TLs you run into will be this one.

If it's the third, good luck. Motor Trend listed 0-60 at 6.28.

Let us know how it turns out.

Regards
-w

Old 09-03-2001, 09:47 PM

My friend got 2 acuras; he got a 2000 stock TL, and he got a '98 Integra GS-R. (170 HP) Both are stock. How will I do?
Old 09-04-2001, 07:51 AM
Webologist

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Magazine world.....

Not so much, I drive a Black TL-S and have been alongside lots of cars including Maxs... I like lots of cars including the Max which is why I visit here sometimes. In deference to the members here I'm not going to post my results... I'm trying to help MaDxKiLLa against what will be a very formidable opponent if the guy can drive at all. Sending him in without realistic expectations wouldn't be right.

Regards
-w