5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Yellow caliper on a Black car, just finished!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 07:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yellow caliper on a Black car, just finished!!!

Man, took me only 1.5hrs and did it ALL by myself. I decided to paint the calipers Yellow, since I love yellow. MMmmmmmmmmm YELLOW!!!

Here is a description on how to do it for those that dont know, and in there are also shots of what it looks like completed.

http://www.nrrrd.net/dixit/caliper.html

If I get too much negative feedback on this color, I will probably just go over it again with BLUE. But dont think it will get to that.

Dixit
Old 09-22-2001, 08:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey, nice job on the write-up. So, you didn't clean the calipers\area before you painted them? I've always been told you should clean the area first.
You sprayed the entire caliper area, including the brake pads, pins, metal fittings? Is that safe?
Just trying to get ideas before I paint the calipers on my Black SE. Probably yellow, but a more deep yellow than you what used.
Old 09-22-2001, 08:11 PM

My bad, forgot to add that in the writeup. Yes I did clean the caliper with brake cleaner first. But since the car had only 2500miles on it, wasn't much to clean

I have been told no problem in painting the pins and the shims, cause that will automatically loosen up when you hit the brakes and what not. I did not paint the bleeder valve or bolts. Did not paint anything that will get in the way when I change the brakes.
Old 09-22-2001, 08:16 PM

Cool, how long did you wait for the paint to dry before driving your car?

Better update your signature pic.
Old 09-22-2001, 08:20 PM

I waited about 45mins. I will update my signature pic, but that pic is so awesome with the MAXIMUS RESERVED on the floor.
Old 09-22-2001, 08:45 PM

did you do each wheel at a time?
i mean take wheel off, clean, paint and put back on...then the next wheel?

i'm guessing that's what you did since u did this at home and don't have a car booster.
Old 09-22-2001, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by MaxSEAE
did you do each wheel at a time?
i mean take wheel off, clean, paint and put back on...then the next wheel?

i'm guessing that's what you did since u did this at home and don't have a car booster.
Yeap, I had to do it individually. Like I said, took only 1.5hrs. Not bad.
Old 09-22-2001, 08:57 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

so if WE don't like it, you're going to change it? I hope not.
Old 09-22-2001, 09:01 PM

hmm ... mine are going 2 b black ... 4 piston AP calipers

I likes the yellow ... no blue please ..
Old 09-22-2001, 09:37 PM

anyone would suggest what color should I use for calipers on my car (sunlit sand) what would look the best. The car is stock. Everyone is painting them either black or yellow...but my car is tan....
Old 09-22-2001, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
anyone would suggest what color should I use for calipers on my car (sunlit sand) what would look the best. The car is stock. Everyone is painting them either black or yellow...but my car is tan....
Dont know about Yellow on a Tan car, dont know about Black also, I mean you can barely notice black until you go up close to it. If anything maybe intensify the caliper a little by going Silver or match the caliper with the same paint on your car, now that would look Hot....
Old 09-22-2001, 09:47 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

don't do hot pink though
Old 09-22-2001, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Dont know about Yellow on a Tan car, dont know about Black also, I mean you can barely notice black until you go up close to it. If anything maybe intensify the caliper a little by going Silver or match the caliper with the same paint on your car, now that would look Hot....
I like that . I also have a Sundlight Sand Maxima and if and when i get new rims I want to paint the calipers. Good idea and nice write up. Me likes
Old 09-22-2001, 11:40 PM

Looks hot man
Old 09-23-2001, 09:37 AM

yah looks hot dude love the 02 headlights
Old 09-23-2001, 10:38 AM

Looks good man! I think I might do mine red to match the red snakes in the engine bay. I wonder if anyone has done a rainboe color? Hmmm maybe I'll try that.....
Old 09-23-2001, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by AdamK
yah looks hot dude love the 02 headlights
I like them alot except that the HID color is not the same as my VISION kit I had in there before I changed it. I am kinda still upset over the HID color, but then again it is OEM and it needs to pass DOT approval and that is why they probably did it.

Cause I remember for sure that I could see further and better with my VISION kit, but then again it was also a COMPLETELY different beam housing and pattern. But still.....

I am seriously looking into swaping out the entire HID bulbs, ballast, and ignitors on this headlight assembly to get another one with the color i want. Just looking into which one is gonna work the best....

Dixit
Old 09-23-2001, 12:50 PM

have you thought about painting your calipers red? i think red would look better than yellow...it's ok color...but i don't know..this is just my opinion...

before painting the calipers, use sand papers to sand down the calipers little bit...this way, the paint sticks better and you won't have any unwanted 'things' on your calipers after the paint..
Old 09-23-2001, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by irvine78
before painting the calipers, use sand papers to sand down the calipers little bit...this way, the paint sticks better and you won't have any unwanted 'things' on your calipers after the paint..
Problem with using a sand paper is that you leave alot of dust particles behind, that will look really crappy when you paint the joker. The best thing to do is what I did, Use Brake Parts cleaner and a nice METAL brush, that will scrape away anything unwanted and lightly roughen up the caliper. Secondly MOST of the caliper paints dont need to be preped to that the surface needs to be slightly rough, they use a chemical that allows it to stick to the caliper without primer, that is why roughing up the surface is generally not needed.

Dixit
Old 09-23-2001, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Problem with using a sand paper is that you leave alot of dust particles behind, that will look really crappy when you paint the joker. The best thing to do is what I did, Use Brake Parts cleaner and a nice METAL brush, that will scrape away anything unwanted and lightly roughen up the caliper. Secondly MOST of the caliper paints dont need to be preped to that the surface needs to be slightly rough, they use a chemical that allows it to stick to the caliper without primer, that is why roughing up the surface is generally not needed.

Dixit

oh...i meant that 'after' you clean your breaks, i sanded my calipers...nothing major work, but just little bit of sanding to make the paint stick...but i guess it's not really necessary...
Old 09-24-2001, 04:25 PM
MadMax66

Looks good, boss. I bought the red paint from Pep Boys and wasn't nearly as careful with the taping. I just used a plastic ACME(shopping bag) to wrap the rotor and snugged it rt up to the caliper. Wrapped some tape around the bleeder and the rubber boot on the piston and hit it with a couple coats. I used the brake cleaner(green can) to clean/prep also. That is wicked stuff. Did a real nice job - Brembo looks at a fraction of the price. Dodn't worry about overspray on the rotors since it would wear off immediately anyway, though I had none to speak of. Looked really killer after I installed the slotted Power Stop rotors with a silver CAD coating!

Old 09-25-2001, 03:03 AM

Nice webpage. Lots of goodies.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg
Nice webpage. Lots of goodies.
Thanks boss, I need to start doing PERFORMANCE mods now and get off LOOKS mods.
Old 09-26-2001, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Menacer

I like that . I also have a Sundlight Sand Maxima and if and when i get new rims I want to paint the calipers. Good idea and nice write up. Me likes
I just picked up a can of touchup paint from the dealer wont work I guess let me know what kind are you going to use...I doubt they have tan colored engine paint at Pep Boyz..Guess tan "gold" calipers is the only way to go, anything else is ugly.
Old 09-26-2001, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

I just picked up a can of touchup paint from the dealer wont work I guess let me know what kind are you going to use...I doubt they have tan colored engine paint at Pep Boyz..Guess tan "gold" calipers is the only way to go, anything else is ugly.
I used the Plasti-kote spray paint, it is 900degrees Farenheit rated.

Use that or the other one made by this other company, forget what it is called.