5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stillen FSTB question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 04:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stillen FSTB question

What is the purpose of step #4 on the instruction sheet?

All I did was install the strut rings & then insert the bar ... that's all ... am I missing something?
Old 09-23-2001, 05:26 PM

Re: Stillen FSTB question

Originally posted by ohboiya
What is the purpose of step #4 on the instruction sheet?

All I did was install the strut rings & then insert the bar ... that's all ... am I missing something?
There's a sensor on the driver side of the engine compartment just under the bar near the ring attachment area, and it's necessary to keep the bar from hitting it. The Stillen FSTB comes with a metal tubular spacer which I used to extend that sensor downwards away from the bar, so there's plenty of clearance.

You need to torque the connections adequately to make sure everything is "even" and the bar works right.

I'm not sure what step #4 says, but it's probably one of those two things.
Old 09-23-2001, 11:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Stillen FSTB question

Originally posted by umpopa

There's a sensor on the driver side of the engine compartment just under the bar near the ring attachment area, and it's necessary to keep the bar from hitting it. The Stillen FSTB comes with a metal tubular spacer which I used to extend that sensor downwards away from the bar, so there's plenty of clearance.

You need to torque the connections adequately to make sure everything is "even" and the bar works right.

I'm not sure what step #4 says, but it's probably one of those two things.
ehhhh??? there's a metal spacer for that??? i didn't get one...maybe the new ones now come with one..
Old 09-24-2001, 02:21 PM

the copy of the instruction sheet that I got is kind of messed up.
So, with no help, and with only the limited mechanic skill that I have I did the installation. I have that cylinder spacer, but I did not used it.
If anybody is kind enough please scan the actual installation instruction from stillen and post it on the forum please.

I didn't used torque wrench when I installed it, any side effect in the future?

Thank you
Old 09-24-2001, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by exunaja
the copy of the instruction sheet that I got is kind of messed up.
So, with no help, and with only the limited mechanic skill that I have I did the installation. I have that cylinder spacer, but I did not used it.
If anybody is kind enough please scan the actual installation instruction from stillen and post it on the forum please.

I didn't used torque wrench when I installed it, any side effect in the future?

Thank you
Why not call Stillen and ask them to send or fax you another copy of the installation sheet? They've been very cooperative whenever I've called them on the phone.

You'll probably be OK without the torque wrench, as long as everything was made fairly tight...but you might want to borrow one from a friend for the two minutes it'll take to recheck the torque all around, just to be on the safe side.
Old 09-25-2001, 06:32 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I don't believe I received one either...
Old 09-25-2001, 06:34 AM
Got Bent?

just put a small bend in the bracket that holds that sensor. It won't hit anything then.... I think that is the swirl control thing for cali spec emissions only...
Old 09-25-2001, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by umpopa

Why not call Stillen and ask them to send or fax you another copy of the installation sheet? They've been very cooperative whenever I've called them on the phone.

You'll probably be OK without the torque wrench, as long as everything was made fairly tight...but you might want to borrow one from a friend for the two minutes it'll take to recheck the torque all around, just to be on the safe side.
It was tight enough and I did stop at one point because I don't want to strip the bolt. I will try to call stillen and find out about faxing me a readible copy of that installation instruction.
For what we are paying for their product, we deserved a better treatment.

thank you