5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Interesting Article about UDP

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 09:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Interesting Article about UDP

Hey guys! Has anyone seen the October 2001 issue of Sport Compact Car Magazine? They did a Part II article about their Project Ford Focus ZX3. This month they installed a UR Underdrive Pulley to their Focus. Now I'm not sure if this car is a 5sp or Auto but this was from the article:

"An underdrive puller is a standard, no-brainer upgrade. It doesn't matter what kind of engine you have, what else you have done to it, or what order you do the modifications in, an underdrive crank pulley will, almost without fail, be good for 3 - 5hp.

Now they ran a dyno on their Focus and here are the results:

2001 Focus with UR UDP, JBA Header, 1320 Exhaust, AEM Intake, Foccussport cam gears - 130 Horsepower, 130LB-Ft of Tourque

2001 Focus with JBA Header, 1320 Exhaust, AEM Intake, Foccussport cam gears - 127 Horsepower, 127LB-Ft of Tourque

Now I realize that this is not a 5th Gen Max and there are other factors involved with out cars but I found it interesting. Hope this helps clear up some mystery to the UDP.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Point being ?
this has been known for a while...that in theory it does free up HP, but in some personal testing done by others on Maxima.org they have lost hp ?

-Something to think about.
That would be me

But I never have determined if the dyno numbers were off or there was some other factor causing the result. All I know is that when I raced another 2k5spd that has the same mods minus udp and had previously dyno'd the same as me, the loss that showed up on the dyno didn't show up in the real world.

Who knows. Some of the 4th gen guys have had excellent results.

Unless you've already got an intake and y-pipe, I would bother.
Old 10-02-2001, 02:51 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

LoL...I do notice that RPMs do climb quicker, but beyond that, I don't really see the ooomph behind it...with Hp Gains. If you have done every mod to free up breathing, then you feel it.(CAI, Ypipe, Cat, Mid Pipe and or full exhaust.)

I gained a few ponies from the UDP, time-wise didn't show, mph showed.

-Peace
ya my MPH's went up tooo.
Old 10-02-2001, 03:27 PM

LoL...I do notice that RPMs do climb quicker, but beyond that, I don't really see the ooomph behind it...with Hp Gains. If you have done every mod to free up breathing, then you feel it.(CAI, Ypipe, Cat, Mid Pipe and or full exhaust.)

-Peace
Since it is a mods I intend to do after intake and Y-pipe, how about the losse of light intensity and air conditioning,( suppose to occur cuz of smaller UD pulley size ) is this a bogus thing or what, I'd like to see what the Pro says about it.

Thanks again.

doublea
Old 10-02-2001, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by doublea

Since it is a mods I intend to do after intake and Y-pipe, how about the losse of light intensity and air conditioning,( suppose to occur cuz of smaller UD pulley size ) is this a bogus thing or what, I'd like to see what the Pro says about it.

Thanks again.

doublea

unless your running a 500+watt stereo system you won't see any probs.
Old 10-02-2001, 05:51 PM
Got Bent?

In my experience, the UDP is a decent mod if you have already done the y-pipe and intake. The revs climb a bit faster, especially at lower rpms. It's nothing very dramatic, but it is noticeable. As for electrical issues, I have had none. No difference in electrical power or air conditioning at all.
Old 10-05-2001, 01:30 PM

gains from less weight

UR states that this pulley gets most of its gains from a lower weight not from underdriving. This will cause little to no changein your accessories.
Old 10-05-2001, 03:08 PM

Re: gains from less weight

Originally posted by theMax
UR states that this pulley gets most of its gains from a lower weight not from underdriving. This will cause little to no changein your accessories.
ya i think it's around 80% from lightening and 20% from underdriving.
Old 10-05-2001, 03:30 PM

-Peace
i don't really have the after UDP dyno figures...heck i don't even have my after GReddy or my fuel system dyno either...but i think i'll be dynoing my car pretty soon. so i guess i'll let you guys know..

by the way, whether i lost of gained any hps, i still beat an Accord V6 by 5 car lengths...is that good enough?
no disrespects to Accord owners...ahem...
Old 10-05-2001, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by irvine78

i don't really have the after UDP dyno figures...heck i don't even have my after GReddy or my fuel system dyno either...but i think i'll be dynoing my car pretty soon. so i guess i'll let you guys know..

by the way, whether i lost of gained any hps, i still beat an Accord V6 by 5 car lengths...is that good enough?
no disrespects to Accord owners...ahem...

no it should be 7-9
Old 10-05-2001, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

no it should be 7-9

oops....let's not start a war....
there is a person from AV6 club here, you know...
Old 10-05-2001, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by irvine78

oops....let's not start a war....
there is a person from AV6 club here, you know...
accords are slow. let's pair up the new auto 5th gen and a new accord. i bet that is 5 car lenghts. nevermind how bad the 6-spd is gonna hand it it's as$