5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

G35, 2K2 Max SE, or Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 02:58 PM

G35, 2K2 Max SE, or Mod?

I'm currently debating this with myself. I already own a 2K Max and a POS 98 Sentra GXE. I'm planning on getting rid of the Sentra pretty soon.

My 3 options:
1) Get a G35 in March (35K?).
2) Get a new 6spd Max SE w/Everything ($28K).
3) Keep my Max and hook it up (Stuff I still want to get: Stillen Aero Kit, Greddy Evo, Wheels/Tires, Tint, Mesh Grill, RT Cat, Porterfields, Springs,HID).

So what do you guys think? Keep the Sentra and put more money into my Max? Or just get a new car?

I realize that the G35 and Max are empirically different cars that at some level serve different purposes, but I would like to know what you guys think.

Certainly there are those of you who believe in keeping a car for a good time and modding the hell out of it (e.g. Cheston), and I realize that that is a totally differnt philosophy.

Chuck
Old 10-03-2001, 03:03 PM
jjs

G35?
Old 10-03-2001, 03:05 PM

Re: G35, 2K2 Max SE, or Mod?

Originally posted by NJ_MAX2000
I'm currently debating this with myself. I already own a 2K Max and a POS 98 Sentra GXE. I'm planning on getting rid of the Sentra pretty soon.

My 3 options:
3) Keep my Max and hook it up (Stuff I still want to get: Stillen Aero Kit, Greddy Evo, Wheels/Tires, Tint, Mesh Grill, RT Cat, Porterfields, Springs,HID).

So what do you guys think? Keep the Sentra and put more money into my Max? Or just get a new car?

I realize that the G35 and Max are empirically different cars that at some level serve different purposes, but I would like to know what you guys think.

Certainly there are those of you who believe in keeping a car for a good time and modding the hell out of it (e.g. Cheston), and I realize that that is a totally differnt philosophy.

Chuck
get rid of the sentra and hook up your 2K maxima like it deserves it be hooked up
Old 10-03-2001, 03:08 PM
DOM

Keep the 2k unless you have the cash you can afford to lose. By the time you trade in your car to get the 2002 another better, faster Maxima will be right around the corner. Skip a generation and then buy another one. You will buy a 2002 and then next year the 2003 will have some better features and awesome styling. Patience
Old 10-03-2001, 03:13 PM
PhatGuy

Re: G35, 2K2 Max SE, or Mod?

If your car is auto go for one of the new cars. If 5spd and your going all out with springs, bodykit, intake, y-pipe, etc... it is going to look supa pHaT and just as fast as 6spd. Really hard to say but that G35 looks real promising too! Hard to call!

My 3 options:

Chuck

Old 10-03-2001, 03:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would definately consider the G35. That ride is hott. I may go for the trade myself. I'm friggin tired of the whole Nissan Service crap. I went through another saga with them today but I'm too tired to discuss it. I know alot of Infiniti owners who say their service is alot better. The specs on the g35 look good and may start around 30K.
Old 10-03-2001, 03:41 PM

Re: Re: G35, 2K2 Max SE, or Mod?

Originally posted by PhatGuy
If your car is auto go for one of the new cars. If 5spd and your going all out with springs, bodykit, intake, y-pipe, etc... it is going to look supa pHaT and just as fast as 6spd. Really hard to say but that G35 looks real promising too! Hard to call!

Heh, my car is auto . I didn't know how to drive stick when I got it...STILL don't know how to drive stick...YET.

I'm diggin the G35 a lot, just a matter of $$$. I got in contact with an Infiniti sales rep and she told me that they will be released in March with the 6spd transmission. Didn't give me a base price, standard equipment, or options list...which sux cuz I wanna know how much above base I'll be paying for a decently equipped vehicle.
Old 10-03-2001, 04:24 PM
Got Bent?

sell the sentra, hook up the max with the money you get, and then save up for the G35.....

then you will have two tight cars
Old 10-03-2001, 04:32 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

G35!!!!!!!!!

Infinity creature comforts, ALL wheel drive, 280hp, four-wheel independent multi-link suspension, and 6-speed transmission for between $30-35K!

Hell yea! Wait it's a 2003 model, damn!
Old 10-03-2001, 04:37 PM

Dang, I was hoping the G35 will start at like 26000 (that was wishful thinking I guess).

BTW, it's Rear Wheel Drive right?
Old 10-03-2001, 04:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DOM
Keep the 2k unless you have the cash you can afford to lose. By the time you trade in your car to get the 2002 another better, faster Maxima will be right around the corner. Skip a generation and then buy another one. You will buy a 2002 and then next year the 2003 will have some better features and awesome styling. Patience
But from what I heard (and read), the 03 Max will be bigger and more expensive. That's why the Altima is suppose to replace the current Max segment.

But... I could be wrong.
Old 10-03-2001, 04:56 PM

Right on Nauman!

I say sell Sentra and save up for G35. Mod 2k if there are extras.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:23 PM

Re: G35!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by IceY2K1
Infinity creature comforts, ALL wheel drive, 280hp, four-wheel independent multi-link suspension, and 6-speed transmission for between $30-35K!

Hell yea! Wait it's a 2003 model, damn!
rear wheel drive.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by DOM
My philosophy exactly. Keen minds think alike. Wait for the 6th gen before considering a new Max.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:53 PM

Somehow I feel like Nissan is gonna turn the 6th Gen. into a "near luxury" family hauler instead of the sporty beast that we know now.

Think about it, the Max is pretty big as it is...if they make it even bigger than the Altima, will it still be as tenacious? Will it degrade it's handling abilities? Certainly we all can't deny that size is not a factor in the overall performance of the vehicle.

In all honesty, I don't see why Nissan can't keep the Max smaller and more agile than the new Alti's.
Old 10-03-2001, 08:21 PM

Re: Re: G35!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
rear wheel drive.
They've been hinting[Nissan] at ALL-wheel-drive from a Skyline derivative and the choice of either a 6-speed manual or 5-speed auto from the new 300Z.

Also, with the same engine as the 5+ or 6th gen Max, you would have the Stillen SC option available.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: G35!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by IceY2K1

They've been hinting[Nissan] at ALL-wheel-drive from a Skyline derivative and the choice of either a 6-speed manual or 5-speed auto from the new 300Z.

Also, with the same engine as the 5+ or 6th gen Max, you would have the Stillen SC option available.
i'd still take the G35 anyday over the maxima. man o man.. i love rear wheel fun.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:19 PM
DOM

I still say wait. when the 6 gens come out I am sure that there will be plenty of new 2002s left over for cheap discounts to make room for the next models. It is really going to suck that you didn't wait because you guessed wrong about the 6 gen. Patience.
For all y'all suckas out there, did you consider how much it will cost to own a G35 over the years? Insurance? I guess you guys are all rich though, so never mind. Sure it is RWD but it still is a glorified Maxima which costs a lot.

Once you guys get these new cars the Z will come out and then we will see how many of you trade in cars.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:25 PM

I did the math and figured that if I go for the G35, assuming a price of ~$35k, I would be making payments of approximately $500-600/mo. for 36 mo. (with a down payment of like $14k-$16k).

Kinda hefty considering I only work part time
Old 10-03-2001, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by DOM
I still say wait. when the 6 gens come out I am sure that there will be plenty of new 2002s left over for cheap discounts to make room for the next models. It is really going to suck that you didn't wait because you guessed wrong about the 6 gen. Patience.
For all y'all suckas out there, did you consider how much it will cost to own a G35 over the years? Insurance? I guess you guys are all rich though, so never mind. Sure it is RWD but it still is a glorified Maxima which costs a lot.

Once you guys get these new cars the Z will come out and then we will see how many of you trade in cars.
Sorry, but the new Z is FUGLY and not even that exceptional of a performer from initial speculations.

Maybe, if they turbocharge it, I might be changing my mind. However, I'm hoping to upgrade to a M3 or 540is eventually, but for now the Max will get me by.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:28 PM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DOM

The new Z will be cool but the G35 is a SKYLINE derivative. Sorry dude, Z loses. The new G35 has a Cd of 0.27 and has 270 horsies with luxury amendments. Add 6 speed manual and probably the best chassis that Nissan has EVER created and it's probably gonna be the best bang for the buck in any price range. This new car is NOTHING like the Max. It'll be a lot smaller, faster, and that rear beam crap will go away.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by EZ

The new Z will be cool but the G35 is a SKYLINE derivative. Sorry dude, Z loses. The new G35 has a Cd of 0.27 and has 270 horsies with luxury amendments. Add 6 speed manual and probably the best chassis that Nissan has EVER created and it's probably gonna be the best bang for the buck in any price range. This new car is NOTHING like the Max. It'll be a lot smaller, faster, and that rear beam crap will go away.
Exactly! I couldn't have said it better.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:46 PM
DOM

Okay you guys are right. The Z sucks compared to this G35. Did you guys read NJ_Max2000's post early on? With him doing his math on the deal he needs to put down $14,000 just to get payments of $600. He only works part time. This means he needs to sell crack, rob banks, become a gay prostitute/stripper, AND keep his part time job just to pay for this car. Plus he has to pay hefty insurance on this upper class INFINITY. Maybe move back to mommy's house too because paying rent would be out of the question.

Since money doesn't seem to matter, why not just skip the G35 and head straight for the Nissan Skyline! That is faster and it is turbo! You can be the coolest guy on the org!

Keep the Max you have and mod it. Need speed? Buy a Nitrous Kit.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:15 PM

Hey now...

Originally posted by DOM
Okay you guys are right. The Z sucks compared to this G35. Did you guys read NJ_Max2000's post early on? With him doing his math on the deal he needs to put down $14,000 just to get payments of $600. He only works part time. This means he needs to sell crack, rob banks, become a gay prostitute/stripper, AND keep his part time job just to pay for this car. Plus he has to pay hefty insurance on this upper class INFINITY. Maybe move back to mommy's house too because paying rent would be out of the question.

Since money doesn't seem to matter, why not just skip the G35 and head straight for the Nissan Skyline! That is faster and it is turbo! You can be the coolest guy on the org!

I'm not that rich. J/K. I'm not rich at all, just a little ahead of some. Once he graduates college, hopefully with a useful degree, he to could own the car he chooses.
Old 10-03-2001, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by DOM

I already sell crack, rob banks, AND sell my body

J/K...I make websites and watch A LOT of ****

Where I work now >>> www.dreamzotic.com

You know you want my job!
Old 10-04-2001, 10:22 AM

Somehow I feel like Nissan is gonna turn the 6th Gen. into a "near luxury" family hauler instead of the sporty beast that we know now.

Think about it, the Max is pretty big as it is...if they make it even bigger than the Altima, will it still be as tenacious? Will it degrade it's handling abilities? Certainly we all can't deny that size is not a factor in the overall performance of the vehicle.

In all honesty, I don't see why Nissan can't keep the Max smaller and more agile than the new Alti's.
If Nissan does that... they will have to make it compareable to the BMW M5... hopefully. That's a big car with lots of power and handling. But then it doesn't perform as well as the M3.. Don't quote me on that... heard it somewhere. M5 has a V8, well the Infiniti Q45 has a v8... hmmmm v8, 6speed rear wheel drive Maxima???

that sounds too good to be true
Old 10-04-2001, 10:31 AM

2000 Maxima is a good car already as it is man. keep it.

no more.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:39 AM

keep the max

Originally posted by young1976

M5 has a V8, well the Infiniti Q45 has a v8... hmmmm v8, 6speed rear wheel drive Maxima???
the bmw m5 and 540 have v-8. An aftermarket company ((hartage(sp?) put the m5's v8 in a 3 series body. It hauled!!

For the orginal question do you want the best car or get the most from your money? I'm a money person so I would sell the sentra and mod the max and save up for a new car. You don't want to buy the first model year anyway.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:08 PM
QUANSUNG

i've heard that the current sc won't fit on the 2k2 max and 3.5 altima ,anybody know for sure?

Old 10-04-2001, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by QUANSUNG
i've heard that the current sc won't fit on the 2k2 max and 3.5 altima ,anybody know for sure?
I could tell you for sure without knowing it. It is not an exact fit. The new engine is bigger, heads are different. The "VTEC" Pardon me Honda term... sticks out more. so it won't fit. I'm sure Stillen is working on it. I think "yo_its_ok" is working on brackets that will make it fit.

So time will tell..